Newbie, first timer - help please

Iam going on the Celebration at the beginning of May. Could somebody give me an answer to a few queries I have?

First, do they provide toiletries on board? I don't want to take more than I need. As far as excursions that are offered, do you get details with your tickets?

Sorry to appear so thick, and they may have been asked and answered before. If so, I apologise.

:o:o:o:o

Iam going on the Celebration at the beginning of May. Could somebody give me an answer to a few queries I have?

First, do they provide toiletries on board? I don't want to take more than I need. As far as excursions that are offered, do you get details with your tickets?

Sorry to appear so thick, and they may have been asked and answered before. If so, I apologise.

:o:o:o:o

Hi Goonersue

Don't know about toiletries but you can check out the excursions on the Thomson website. Click on Cruise then near the top are different tabs, click on Ports of Call then choose Celebration. Scroll down to the trips you are interested in. You will get the itinerary and price, unfortunately you can't book online yet even though it is supposed to be coming soon.

Jan

Thanks ekco, just found the site.

Your welcome. Have a nice trip. On the Island Escape a couple of weeks ago they sold the trips after the welcome meeting, they weren't pushy at all and asked us to order the trips at Reception later.:)

Jan

You will get details with your tickets but you cannot prebook. You book them with Destination Services on board. They reccomend to book early but there always seeems to be plenty of availibility. You will also get the Cruise News delivered every night which carries details of all the trips for the following day plus a multitude of other info. You will have a great time on a great ship.

Thanks everybody for your help. Me and my OH are really looking forward to it. It is our 30th Wedding anniversary, so will be something to remember.

Congratulations ,and have a wonderful cruise

mrs.c

Hi Jamesy,

Don't worry, we were in your position 2 years ago, loved our 1st cruise and much better than hotel holiday. Just wished we had started sooner.

The hardest part is getting from the plane to the coach to the ship.

They really look after you and the staff are fantastic.

Yes he can take his jeans for daytime, in the restaurant in the evening trousers and collared shirts for men apart from the formal night.

Berwyn

thankyou. getting the gist of this posting now, keep chucking clothes on bed and then putting them back in wardrobe lol , think you need more typs than a hotel hol. really excited though but dont want to look 'green' when arriving etc xwere 47 is that about right age, are there all ages . its our silver wedding and want it to be special x

thankyou. getting the gist of this posting now, keep chucking clothes on bed and then putting them back in wardrobe lol , think you need more typs than a hotel hol. really excited though but dont want to look 'green' when arriving etc xwere 47 is that about right age, are there all ages . its our silver wedding and want it to be special x

Hi, while cruise passengers tend to be a little older you will find all ages aboard from babies/ toddlers up to 90 + .

Our 1st one was for the wife's 50th birthday.

Have a look at the pics there, especially page 3 (no pun) that's what she wore on most evenings on that cruise.

http://s727.photobucket.com/albums/ww273/Cymro1953/Island%20Escape%20April%202008%20Med/?start=40

Berwyn

thanks for that , seems about right, do i need trainers for trips. pyramids etc if so would prob be best to travel in them because of weight limit

jamesy,would recommend you take trainers or some sort of comfortable shoes for trips.I travel in trainers A for comfort and B beacuse as you say weight wise

thanks for that , seems about right, do i need trainers for trips. pyramids etc if so would prob be best to travel in them because of weight limit

My hubby always travels in his trainers , he certainly needed them for the trips to the pyramids and such like

mrs.c

Hi Jamesy

Just got back a couple of weeks ago from the Canaries. Regarding clothes, took one bikini as we were off the ship a lot and not sunbathing, most of the time we both wore crop pants with either t-shirt (for hubby) and the same or strappy tops for me, took 3 pairs of shorts and wore one so could have saved space there. They didn't have a gala evening so can't comment, I took mix and match and chose black, white and deep pink, along with a couple of neutrals so I could change them around. You hardly see the same people twice so no one notices. Hubby took a lightweight pair of black trousers along with a light pair, he wore the black ones mostly and took black shoes. As for shoes, they are my nightmare as my feet swell half to one full size in the heat. I took heels and lightweight walking shoes, the heels I dumped after one wear (crippled) and bought flat dressy sandals in white in Arrecife. The same for the walking shoes, when I got back I went straight out and bought walking sandals with velcro straps so I can let them out to fit. When we go in June I am going to buy a couple of sundresses that will suit off the ship in the day and on board at night. Someone suggested a pashmina for on-deck at night when it might be cooler but mostly everyone is indoors after dinner. I think that you have to think mainly what you will wear in the evening and what shoes. Daytime is just usually walking about gear off ship. Don't forget to pack the underwear and socks. Have a nice trip. :)

Jan

thanks ekco that has really helped , white and black linen trews and different tops , we have got one posh frock night but should be able to mix and match other times, got your drift about heels got some nice flats so will prob take those instead x going to travel in walking trainers so got those for cairo x

thanks ekco that has really helped , white and black linen trews and different tops , we have got one posh frock night but should be able to mix and match other times, got your drift about heels got some nice flats so will prob take those instead x going to travel in walking trainers so got those for cairo x

Be careful of blisters in Cairo, have a good think about socks/liners and what they're made out of. I read on a hiking website that very light wool is best even in hot climates and cotton is not recommended. Something to do with heat transfer from the foot building up in the shoe and not being absorbed in the sock (I think:confused:). I'm going to try that myself next time.

Hubby can wear trainers all day in the heat with no blisters but I always get them in the same place then they're with me until I get home. I'd wear flip-flops all the time but it's not a good look at dinner. :D:D

Jan

You will LOVE the Celebration - we did our first cruise as a family last year for my 40th birthday - there ARE all ages on there. (We were 3 generations; us, our children and my parents!) It is such a lovely, lovely holiday and the Celebration is a great ship for a first time cruise - we could not fault it (apart from the fight for sunbeds & people "reserving them with their towels, but hey, you get that wherever you go these days!)

We have another excuse to go back this year (but on the Spirit this time) - it's my husband's 45th birthday!! You are going to some great places too looking at the itinerary.

Hi Jamesy,

This is what DW is taking for the formal night, in the black with the matching beaded shrug at the bottom of the page.

http://www.marisota.co.uk/shop/product/details/show.action?pdLpUid=AX163&pdBoUid=1920&lpgUid=11238874#colour:185,size:22

Looks like I'll have to pack the suit now.

Berwyn

P.S. Don't forget the electric adaptors both flat and round pin.

thanks lovely, thats kinda what i have got for the formal night x been brill all of you x

Hi,

It's a pleasure. You'll find that we all muck in and help if we can. Others on here have provided us with great info and been really helpful for us since we've joined.

Berwyn

Archived