'Round The Horn!

Calliope

Hello

I've just seen the latest (?) deck plan for QM2 and it looks like my cabin has an "obscured view".

http://www.cunard.co.uk/QM2/DeckPlans/deck_frameset.asp?Active=onboard&sub=deckplans

This is a B1 cabin on my ticket and invoice.

Just how bad will the view be??

The map's colour code is wrong, that's why I'd like an opinion from other experienced passangers.

The fact is, right now, I'd go if allocated a shoebox in the gents toilet (next to the urinal). However, I do like to get value for money.

Having looked at the ship photos and plans, my best guess is the balcony is split by a post rather than a lifeboat.

Also, it's strange we have a cabin with connecting doors...

Anyway, regardless, I'm going, even if I have to sleep on the Golden Lion's chairs (which may happen anyway!).

Cheers

Jack

Your room is one of the "hull holes", and they're much better than it sounds. Your balcony is recessed in the hull, but the opening is really quite large. And in chilly climes, to me, it would be much preferred to one of the more expensive balcony rooms above the boat deck. Well, maybe not one of the grill rooms though. ;)

Hello

The fact is, right now, I'd go if allocated a shoebox in the gents toilet (next to the urinal). However, I do like to get value for money.

Update:

It seems my wife will accept a shoebox and the gents, but not the urinal location.

So, good job we got a "hull hole"

Update:

It seems my wife will accept a shoebox and the gents, but not the urinal location.

So, good job we got a "hull hole"

Update:

The shoebox and gents location is also a no go.

I've just had to spend 15 minutes explaining that a "hull hole" is a location description on the ship and NOT a bar in NYC for happy people... strewth!

SPOCK... Get me on board

Jack

Update:

The shoebox and gents location is also a no go.

I've just had to spend 15 minutes explaining that a "hull hole" is a location description on the ship and NOT a bar in NYC for happy people... strewth!

SPOCK... Get me on board

Jack

Or as they say, "Beam me up Scottie! There's no intelligent life here!" (Present company excepted, of course!

Great! Hull Hole! Well, if I get "Upgraded" tfrom my obstructed view full balcony, I will remember that terminology

Looks like tomorrow we will go suit and tux shopping. Seems as though the SO has outgorwn most of his tux pants and the collar of the jacket is getting a bit frayed! ("Nothing a little magic marker woudn't fix," he says! Is it justifiable homicide if I push him overboard? <G>)

Of course the dry cleaner tells me today that the rhinestones might come off of my "Dry Clean Only" dress if they clean it. I've worn it once! They say that most clothing companies these days figure you are only going to wear AN EVENING GOWN once! Not where *I* come from! My wedding dress, maybe, but not an evening gown you've spent considerable money on!

Gee, what happened to those paper dresses that were popular in the 60's!

Seems as though the SO has outgorwn most of his tux pants...

travel2go

We've been having some great fun trying to figure out what the acronym "SO" could be short for.

Our best guess so far is "Significant Other" is that right? Other guesses are probably far to rude to post here;)

Inspired by your last post, I too dug out my tux and was astonished to find that braces are now needed to keep the trousers up! Seems like my fitness program really does work. There's no real point getting them tailored, because with a bit of luck (and diligent attendance at all eating venues) I'll be able to dispense with the braces by the time we hit Rio.

Only four weeks to go... before we check in to our "hull hole"

Cheers

Jack

Well, that sounds value for money!

I'm sure everything will be fine. Let's face it, sleeping in a "hull hole" on the QM2 is gotta be better than sleeping under a Bush!

Jack

Good one, Jack! And it's getting more and more uncomfortable being there too!

travel2go

We've been having some great fun trying to figure out what the acronym "SO" could be short for.

Our best guess so far is "Significant Other" is that right? Other guesses are probably far to rude to post here;)

Why Jack! I'm shocked! You? Make an off-color statement? God forbid!

As for the "We" part- Is that as in the Queen's famous, "We are not amused" as they say? The "editorial we"? Or have you really outGROWN (no typo this time!) them and there's enough of you to be a "We" <G> Or maybe you just have multiple persoailty disorder!

Yes, SO means Significant Other. We've been together for 16 or 17 years, I think- I forget. That's longer than my marriage lasted (8 years) It rolls off the tongue so much easier than POSSLQ- Pronounced POSS-UL-QUEUE. A former census term for "Person of the Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters" Of course, an SO need not refer to the opposite sex, though mine does. It is gender and sexuality neutral. And at age 51, it beats the hell out of "boyfriend!"

As for the trying on the tux- It brings to mind the year we did the southern Caribbean on, I think the Crown Jewel, or maybe the Dynasty. It was an April voyage, and I told Marc to try on his shorts. His response? "They'll be fine! They fit last year!" Well, you know how we spent the first three days of the cruise. No time or place to shop in SanJuan, Tortola- Sunday- the only things open are Sunny Caribbee spices and Pussers. Well. we did manage to find a pair of shorts at Pussers. Next stop Martinique! Department store- "Oh! You're in luck! These shorts are on sale for ONLY $85.00!" I think we'll pass. Next shop- young folks place- two store clerks chatting animatedly in French. We find a couple of pairs of suitable shorts. "Excuse, me could you tell me the price... " No reaction, not even a glance. Second try, a bit louder and firmer. No repsonse still. Third try. "PARDONEZ-MOI!" JE VOUDRAIS D"ACHETE..." Oop! Gasp! She speaks French!

So yes- He tried on the tux today and we went tux shopping.

(Sorry, I know I told that tale once before, but it might have been on a different thread!)

And Jack? I understand once in Rio, you won't have need of any clothing... well, at least, not at the beach! And DO send pictures!

(Brazilian, anyone?)

Oh, and be sure to try some Cachaca and Feijoada while you are there.

A very cold day in Sherwood Forest

OK, not exactly dressed to impress. The pink hat is going... she's even madder than me!

http://jackatsea.com/pano/

Madman

She looks/sounds like a keep, Jack- Wish I was going to be on YOUR cruise.... In addition to mine! Sounds like you all will add tothe levity!

Eats

Use the link "User CP" (top of page between banner ad and CC's Logo)

Once your control panel opens, there's a link for Avatars in the left side navigation bar. After that... follow the instructions (smile).

Cheers

Jack

Eats

Use the link "User CP" (top of page between banner ad and CC's Logo)

Once your control panel opens, there's a link for Avatars in the left side navigation bar. After that... follow the instructions (smile).

Cheers

Jack

--------------------------------------------------------------

COOL! THANKS!

Just finished reading a facinating article about the history of Cape Horn.

It'll be interesting if Cunard decide to stick to tradition...

<snip>

"Whoever had rounded the cape bound westward was part of a superior class of men: they were authorized to carry an earring on their left ear or on their chest, and they could urinate to windward."

</snip>

Must remember to take my earings... and chest!

Full article:

http://www.nautica.it/charter/capehorn.htm

Cheers

Jack

I'm on Santiago to Los Angeles leg this February. I talked with res today and they insist I must have this dreadful shot, else I will not be allowed to board without a doctor's waiver letter. This is so absurd and totally unecessary considering our itinerary. We have been all over Latin America- Iguazu, and Amazon, etc and never needed this. Actually, there were no mosquitoes, just fleas in the market in Manaus.

And on this board, I see conflicting statements.

Can anyone tell me how to get beyond this?

Barb

After further research, it seems "urinate in to the wind" is an attribute and not an authorization for westward bound "Horners".

<snip>

Early ships were not fitted with toilets but the crew would urinate over the side of the vessel. However it was important to use the leeward side. Using the windward side would result in the urine blown back on board.

</snip>

Just finished the most boring week's work ever.

Hopefully, I've got many more years left to "pee into the wind".

Merry Christmas and happy (cruising) new year!

Cheers

Jack

Archived