car in Santorini

mum1234

My husband and I will be in Santorini on May 7th....We would like to explore the island and need an automatic car. I have been reading the posts, we most likely will rent from Tony`s....Will parking be a problem?The other choice is to take taxis...We are on Azamara and I found out that only Oceania will be in port at the same time...We will also be there till 10.00 P.M. (of course we will have the car back earlier!..thanks, mum1234

We rented cars there twice--once in '04, and again in '08. Both times were in late May. We had no trouble parking anywhere--if anything, you'll find it a bit quiet, especially at any of the beaches.

Kevin

Thanks for the info...are there any beaches you would recommend....I think we are set on renting a car so we can zip around all day.thanks again,Emily

Here's some good info:

http://www.greeka.com/cyclades/santorini/santorini-beaches.htm

Best bet for early May would probably be Kamari--has shops, restaurants, change huts. Perissa, Perivolos, and Red Beach are on the 'wrong' side of the mountain, Profitis Ilias, which comes right down to the sea, jutting out between Kamari and Perissa--which would make for a somewhat longer drive 'round. Also--from Kamari, it's a shorter drive to Oia/Ammoudi, which I assume you'd be visiting as well.

If you're up for it, there are some great views, and a monastery on the top of Profitas Ilias--Pyrgos is worth a short stop, for a look 'round, or a coffee (Greek 'Nescafe', hot or cold, is heaven--if you like your coffee stronger).

Have a wonderful day!

Kevin

I'm also going to be renting a car in Santorini in June and they said they would be waiting for us at the cable car where the ship takes us. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if we have to use the cable car at all if we rent a car? I'm sorta claustrophobic and don't really like cable cars so any information would be really helpful. thanks so much.

I'm also going to be renting a car in Santorini in June and they said they would be waiting for us at the cable car where the ship takes us. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if we have to use the cable car at all if we rent a car? I'm sorta claustrophobic and don't really like cable cars so any information would be really helpful. thanks so much.

There are only three options from where the ship's tenders will drop you: cable car, donkey ride or walking. If you elect walking, I warn you that it is a steep climb up, and you will be using the same paths as the donkeys, complete with their droppings! We have never done it, but others who have always comment on the aroma!!

I don't know how clautrophobic you are, but the cable cars are quite spacious, with bench seats facing one another at a comfortable distance apart, surrounded by glass.

Thanks for the info...are there any beaches you would recommend....I think we are set on renting a car so we can zip around all day.thanks again,Emily

We rented from Tony's last summer and went to Oia for the morning. There is a large clearly marked paid parking lot there where you can leave the car and then explore the town and take those beautiful pictures of the white buildings and blue church domes. Then we drove south to Red Beach which is unique and really does look red. That was the only place we had a little difficulty finding a place to park as cars were wedged in everywhere. After that we drove east to Perissa (think that was the name) which is a black sand beach. There was plenty of parking there and the beach was lined with restaurants where we had some great Greek food.

Archived