S&S Deposit/Tipping Question

bpgolferguy

Hello! 3 days to go, and then we're headed off on our Honeymoon cruise on the Conquest!!! Woo hoo!!! With this being our first cruise, I have one question regarding S&S....I have read numerous posts about holds, etc put on your credit card if you use it for S&S, and because of that and a couple other reasons I think I am going to do cash for it. Has anyone had any experience with that recently on the Conquest? I don't want to have to worry about holds, etc, and actually I feel safer with cash because in case our cards get lost, only that amount of cash will be stolen instead of my entire credit line....not likely, I know, but I feel more comfortable with cash. With that said, what is a good amount for two people? I've read that they will charge our tips to it right away (10pp/per day, so on a 7 day cruise that will be $140 right off the bat), but is there a minimum I need to put on there after that? I was thinking of giving them $500 cash as embarkation....would that work? Reason I ask is because I've read in other posts that they made them do $200 per person, and if that's the case I will need to do at least $540 right? I would just like someone to clarify exactly how it's done with cash on the Conquest.....thank you so much!!!!

In the cobwebs of my mind, I was thinking $200 was the amount pp, so I looked it up, just to be sure, so I would be providing correct information. Here is the policy:

Cash Deposit:

U.S. Currency and Traveler's Checks may be used to open your Sail & Sign Account. Once on board, please visit our Guest Services Desk who will gladly assist you in opening your account. Throughout the cruise, as you approach the deposit limit, our Guest Services Desk will notify you that additional money must be deposited.

"Recommended" deposits per sailing duration:

2-4 day cruises: $100 deposit pp

5-8 day cruises: $200 deposit pp

9+ day cruises: $350 deposit pp

Hope this helps. Happy cruising!:cool:

Above post is correct in that they are "Recommended" deposit amounts per person..... Give them as much as you want and if it runs out they will notify you when you need to replenish the "bucket of cash" !!!

Congrats on your upcoming HoneyMoon cruise !!!

Lets say I open my S&S with cash. Then lets say I have twice as many DOD's as I planned and our account needs to be replenished. I'm out of cash. Can I use a credit card on the S&S account or does it have to be cash since I opened it with cash?:o

Lets say I open my S&S with cash. Then lets say I have twice as many DOD's as I planned and our account needs to be replenished. I'm out of cash. Can I use a credit card on the S&S account or does it have to be cash since I opened it with cash?:o

You should be able to change to a c.card. I say this because at times I have seen where passengers have had to change their c.card midstream of the cruise because of probelms authorizing charges for some reason and or maxing out the current card they used when originally boarding !

You can switch credit card after you've used cash and vice versa.

lets say you put 500.00 CASH deposit.. but at the end of the cruise you actually spend 750.00... you can just pay the 250.00 balance with your credit card... thats what we do.. we put 500.00 on the account for 7 days.. and then pay the balance should there be any (usually isnt, and if there is its very small over that amount) and pay the rest off with the card...

lets say you put 500.00 CASH deposit.. but at the end of the cruise you actually spend 750.00... you can just pay the 250.00 balance with your credit card... thats what we do.. we put 500.00 on the account for 7 days.. and then pay the balance should there be any (usually isnt, and if there is its very small over that amount) and pay the rest off with the card...

Once you exceed the amount deposited, they are not going to float you any large amount (as in your example above) of excess charges to pay off until the last night of the cruise... they will notify you when you need to add to the deposit (in cash/travellers check or credit card form). If you don't get this taken care of when requested, your S & S card will be denied when trying to use it.

Once you exceed the amount deposited, they are not going to float you any large amount (as in your example above) of excess charges to pay off until the last night of the cruise... they will notify you when you need to add to the deposit (in cash/travellers check or credit card form). If you don't get this taken care of when requested, your S & S card will be denied when trying to use it.

yes im aware of that.. sorry should have mentioned, that in the event we ever go over its on the last night in the shops buying trinkets and booze.. :) if you spend over your cash deposit they will turn off your sign and sail until you go put more money on it...

They should........but they don't always........sometimes they just deny your purchase....

Wow! Thanks for the responses! So basically I can walk up and say I want to put $500 cash in the S&S account.....then $140 will automatically be deducted that first day for all the tips right? So then basically I'll have that remaining balance for everything else? I think $360 should be enough for drinks and stuff, but as you say once you get close they will notify you and then I can just go back down and add more to it?

Wow! Thanks for the responses! So basically I can walk up and say I want to put $500 cash in the S&S account.....then $140 will automatically be deducted that first day for all the tips right? So then basically I'll have that remaining balance for everything else? I think $360 should be enough for drinks and stuff, but as you say once you get close they will notify you and then I can just go back down and add more to it?

You can always go down to the pursers desk periodically and see what your current balance is remaining or some ships will have that info on your stateroom TV.

You can always go down to the pursers desk periodically and see what your current balance is remaining or some ships will have that info on your stateroom TV.

Exactly! On our Triumph cruise we were able to track our accout usage on the TV in our room. On our Destiny cruise we made daily trips to the purser's desk to check out accounts. We brought traveler's cheques and put money on our card the first day and kept extra cheques in our room safe just in case we needed to add more money. Personally I recommend paying with cash only. In my experience, we spent less money using cash.

Exactly! On our Triumph cruise we were able to track our accout usage on the TV in our room. On our Destiny cruise we made daily trips to the purser's desk to check out accounts. We brought traveler's cheques and put money on our card the first day and kept extra cheques in our room safe just in case we needed to add more money. Personally I recommend paying with cash only. In my experience, we spent less money using cash.

To each his/her own... I prefer c.cards for the points/benefits and using their money for 30 days while keeping mine in the bank while it makes me a little $$$ :D

To each his/her own... I prefer c.cards for the points/benefits and using their money for 30 days while keeping mine in the bank while it makes me a little $$$ :D

That works if you are a disiplined credit card user. DW and I are not and we know our shortcomings! :D

Cash, credit cards, travelers checks, Euros, Spanish Doubloons. If it is spendable Carnival will take any amounts in any combinations at any time.

Serious? Every day........no thanks........I'm on vacation......

Serious? Every day........no thanks........I'm on vacation......

Yeah, it was a pain. Before then we'd only been on the Triumph on Carnival so we thought that you could check your account in your stateroom on all ships. We still loved the Destiny though!

as OP was concerned about all the holds, i now only give cash as i sadly had an issue with that my first cruise.. never again, i spent sooo much time calling the credit card company on my cruise that i wanted to kill someone...

everyone has their own way of doing it, i prefer having less of a headache and just giving them cash.. dear BF and i have a piggy bank that we save all our change and extra dollars and we use that on the cruise.. its usually about 500.00 so we know right off the bat that were already budgeted for that amount, if we go over it, we use the CC to pay it off at the end and get the rewards points in one single transactions.. no holds..

Heres another issue that arose on my 2nd cruise with my ex.. we put down cash, and then decided at the end to get our cash back and pay with his credit card/debit card.. the amount was 700 something.. they put a hold on his card, which was fine we knew about that.. BUT with some banks if the company doesnt go ahead within 5 days the hold falls off and the money stays in your bank.. so not even thinking he thought the money was already out.. he went and bought a new tv 2 weeks after our cruise...a week later the cruiseline charge hit his card and put him in the negative.. WHAT A MESS!!!

thats why i vote for the cash.. its spent its done.. and theres no bill coming 30 days later...that while i say now ill pay it in full.. i might not in a month from now LOL :)

as OP was concerned about all the holds, i now only give cash as i sadly had an issue with that my first cruise.. never again, i spent sooo much time calling the credit card company on my cruise that i wanted to kill someone...

everyone has their own way of doing it, i prefer having less of a headache and just giving them cash.. dear BF and i have a piggy bank that we save all our change and extra dollars and we use that on the cruise.. its usually about 500.00 so we know right off the bat that were already budgeted for that amount, if we go over it, we use the CC to pay it off at the end and get the rewards points in one single transactions.. no holds..

Heres another issue that arose on my 2nd cruise with my ex.. we put down cash, and then decided at the end to get our cash back and pay with his credit card/debit card.. the amount was 700 something.. they put a hold on his card, which was fine we knew about that.. BUT with some banks if the company doesnt go ahead within 5 days the hold falls off and the money stays in your bank.. so not even thinking he thought the money was already out.. he went and bought a new tv 2 weeks after our cruise...a week later the cruiseline charge hit his card and put him in the negative.. WHAT A MESS!!!

thats why i vote for the cash.. its spent its done.. and theres no bill coming 30 days later...that while i say now ill pay it in full.. i might not in a month from now LOL :)

Did he use a debit card or cc?

We think like you. We prefer to use cash because when it's gone, it's gone. Don't have to worry about holds or a bill at the end of the month!

The way I read the policy is that the fees are deducted each day, correct?

The way I read the policy is that the fees are deducted each day, correct?

Nope........you don't have to pay until the last day......but they will put a hold on them the first day.......

Other cruiseines charge daily.......not Carnival

To add on...if you pay with cash and then have to later add your cc or debit card...will there be any hold put on it, or will it just be your actual purchases?

they have a right to put atleast a 100.00 hold plus the amount of your exspenses, unless its the morning of debarkation :) will cabin 4404 please come to the pursers desk :) LOL

same thing as gas stations here in NY and NJ... sometimes they put a hold on my cc for 1.00 and then 3 days later i see the actual transaction post..

Archived