Wester Caribbean things to buy?

Vanilla extract is very cheap in Cozumel. I bought a massive bottle (a liter I think?) for $10. I read here on the boards that you can actually get it for $5 or $6 in town, but I was right on the docks and probably paid more because of that. Still, it's a fraction of the price I'd pay here at home.

Alcohol is also cheap in Mexico. I got a big bottle of Kahlua on the docks for $11 (or 2 for $20). I didn't pay much attention to the other prices, but they were very cheap compared to what we pay in the states.

In general, I thought everything was cheaper in Mexico than the other ports we visited on our Western route (Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman). Plus, you really didn't get hassled like you did in Haiti & Jamaica. A simple 'no thanks' was enough in Mexico, if they even approached you at all.

I also saw some nice onyx? chess sets in Mexico, as well as a lot of other stuff made out of this same material. Silver was a good buy as well. Seemed like many prices (especially jewelry, leather goods) were flexible.

Jamaica is known for their Blue Mountain Coffee. I only priced this at one shop, and it was $20 per lb. I've heard some places have it for significantly less expensive though.

$20 lb for Blue Mountain is a very good price (at least from a US perspective). If it is really cheap, it may not be true Blue Mountain. It's like buying Kona coffee in Hawai'i for $8 lb (thinking you got a good deal--true excellent quality Kona is more like $30 lb), but having it only be 10% Kona. It will probably still be good, but it won't be Kona. I know I will pay a premium for premium coffee.

Be extremely careful when buying vanilla extract. Sometimes it is not true vanilla and often the extract contains some form of coumadin (sp?), which can be dangerous.

beachchick

Archived