Do I list U.S. or Canada as primary destination for insurance on Alaskan Cruise?

bubbles1209

How should I list the primary destination? Alaska is not on the list, only United States, and we're only gonna be in Victoria, B.C. (Canada) for a few hours. I would hate for something to happen while in Canada just to have them say that we didn't list Canada as our destination, that we listed United States, and that they won't cover it. Which way to go?

How should I list the primary destination? Alaska is not on the list, only United States, and we're only gonna be in Victoria, B.C. (Canada) for a few hours. I would hate for something to happen while in Canada just to have them say that we didn't list Canada as our destination, that we listed United States, and that they won't cover it. Which way to go?

You don't mention the plan you;re using, and, yes, in one highly infrequent instance it could make a difference.

If you're using one of the popular package plans that includes trip cancellation it makes no difference -- Travelex, Travel Guard, TravelSafe, Access America, etc But some of the 24-hour assistance companies they contract with have offices around the world so they like you to have the proper phone numbers to the closest office. No point in calling Singapore if you need help in Prague. Put Alaska or US.

But if you're buying a medical-only plan you will be asked if you want to include or exclude coverage in the US. Excluding US coverage is less expensive but, yes, if you get medical help in Alaska your claim will be denied. But I doubt this is the coverage you're buying.

You don't mention the plan you;re using, and, yes, in one highly infrequent instance it could make a difference.

If you're using one of the popular package plans that includes trip cancellation it makes no difference -- Travelex, Travel Guard, TravelSafe, Access America, etc But some of the 24-hour assistance companies they contract with have offices around the world so they like you to have the proper phone numbers to the closest office. No point in calling Singapore if you need help in Prague. Put Alaska or US.

But if you're buying a medical-only plan you will be asked if you want to include or exclude coverage in the US. Excluding US coverage is less expensive but, yes, if you get medical help in Alaska your claim will be denied. But I doubt this is the coverage you're buying.

Am looking at Travel Guard (Gold) Protect-Assist, and yes, looking at the package plans with the trip cancellation, etc.

You list the destination where you will be spending the most time. In your case, Alaska.

However, you will notice that your premium amount doesn't actually change, no matter where you are going. Premiums are based solely on trip price and age, not destination. You could be planning a vacation in the middle of the Sahara, days away from the nearest doctor, and you'd still pay the same rate.

SirWired

You list the destination where you will be spending the most time. In your case, Alaska.

However, you will notice that your premium amount doesn't actually change, no matter where you are going. Premiums are based solely on trip price and age, not destination. You could be planning a vacation in the middle of the Sahara, days away from the nearest doctor, and you'd still pay the same rate.

SirWired

This is true for the Travel Guard plan she happens to be looking at but not true for all plans. Some do take the destination into account.

Wound up going with Travelguard Adventure Travel Protection. It has cancel for work reasons, adventure sports (figured this would be good for excursions), covers pre-existing conditions and offered cancel for any reason (didn't choose that because work would be the only thing, and that's already covered.) Wound up choosing the U.S. as the primary destination, since most of our time is in Alaska. Thanks for trying to help me out! :)

Archived