Hartleys Helmet Dive Question

ieatchickens

I'm interested in taking my family on this cool dive but have one question about how it operates:

Are you allowed to walk freely to explore the bottom and feed the fish? I just went to Harley's web site and watched the video and it appeared that everyone held onto a rail and watched the guide move around to point out all the sites around the reef. I would not be as interested in this activity if all you do is hold on to a rail and watch someone else move around.

Thanks in advance to those who have experienced this dive. :)

This is a wonderful, very safe and least costly way to explore the Ocean ( Atlantic ) whilst in the Island of Bermuda

( Somers Isles ) .:D

Are you a certified Diver? WHAT depth? If you are they do have diving services which by the way cost much more. Did you lug your tanks, suit and respirator with ya on the cruise?;)

Who is going to dive with ya? As you well know the buddy system .. who's diving boat, bell is it your using?

Choices ..choices and much more money.

With children too they do a video so yes it may not be a KODAK Moment but will be available to buy and show your children for many memories....eh..

I'm interested in taking my family on this cool dive but have one question about how it operates:

Are you allowed to walk freely to explore the bottom and feed the fish? I just went to Harley's web site and watched the video and it appeared that everyone held onto a rail and watched the guide move around to point out all the sites around the reef. I would not be as interested in this activity if all you do is hold on to a rail and watch someone else move around.

Thanks in advance to those who have experienced this dive. :)

We did this last year, and really enjoyed it. No, you do not wander around on your own. You will be kneeling on the ocean bottom, holding on to a length of PVC pipe. You are underwater about 1/2 hour. In that time, Gregg Hartley will show you different underwater plants, coral, etc. The fish come to him, out of nowhere, and hang around. You will get a chance to actually "hold" a fish. He takes some nice photos, and you can also bring your own underwater camera if you wish. This is actually a very fun tour, although probably not so much so, if you are a certified diver.

Because most of our customers don't have any diving experience, the regulations require us to keep the group together. The group moves around as a whole on a guided tour of the reef. While you don't get to explore on your own, you do get the interesting things pointed out to you and identified (what type of coral, fish, etc).

We frequently get expreicend divers who bring their families as a way to introduce them to diving. Because we have been coming to the same spot for 20+ years, the fish know the routine and come close enough to be touched, something you don't often see scuba diving unless you go to a dive site where the fish are used to seeing divers.

Thank you Ben (and GinDon) for the description of this awesome excursion. As long as we get to move around this sounds like a blast. I did figure that everyone had to stay together so the guide can keep an eye on the group.

Looks like I will be calling Hartleys this week to set up my party of eight.

Thanks again!

Yeah, I've been busy with school all winter, but I'm getting in the mood for summer.

Hey Ben,

Talked to you're dad the other night and made my reservations. What a great guy. He did tell me however that you should get busier with the school thing. Apparently he is expecting you to make some better grades. ;)

Are you part of the crew in the summer? We booked on June 9th.

But..BUT Summer does not start till June 21st, 2010 a.d. eh....;)

Hey Ben,

Talked to you're dad the other night and made my reservations. What a great guy. He did tell me however that you should get busier with the school thing. Apparently he is expecting you to make some better grades. ;)

Are you part of the crew in the summer? We booked on June 9th.

But..BUT Summer does not start till June 21st, 2010 a.d. eh....;)

which brings me to MY question: how's the water temps for this excursion on, say, around the 28th of April??? Coming from NH, we're okay with chilly water, but wondering if it's even an adventure that will be running at that time? If not, anyone have any advice for in-water adventure that might include a wetsuit? Or...any sailing excursion? Thanks so much in advance!

We're booked on this excursion on 5/5/10 through NCL. I've got a question about footwear. One of the posts above said we'd be kneeling - what do you recommend for footwear? Bare feet, water shoes, flip flops? I have no idea what the ocean bottom will be like where we'll be exploring. And I'm figuring we'll be in wetsuits at that time of year - is that right? I'm from the Northeast US, but the water might seem cold to us this time of year.

Thanks for the info - looking forward to this excursion since people seem to enjoy it so much.

I will be part of the crew this summer, but I won't be working every day.

I expect the water temp at the end of April to be around 69-70F. Everyone will want a wetsuit. We offer wetsuits up until the water hits 80F, usually some time in June.

As for footwear, they area you will be in is coarse sand. We usually don't allow any footwear as people tend to drag their feet and kick up more dust when they wear water shoes, making it hard to see and to take pictures. The only exception is if you have a medical condition that requires foot protection, even then, socks are preferred as they offer some protection but kick up less dust.

The sand isn't very hard on the feet, but some people find that it can be rough on the knees, which aren't as tough as feet. You can bring knee pads if you want, but it probably isn't worth it unless you have sensitive skin.

All that being said, you will see my dad Greg wearing booties and a wetsuit all year round because he is underwater for a lot longer and he has to go outside of the sandy areas occasionally. He's also pretty good at trading lightly and not kicking up dust.

NH only has a 17 1/2 mile sea coastline..

Sometimes I felt Alton Bay had more on LK W....

I like the the way you ask questions which means a lot.

The Bermudian Islands ( Somers Isles ) are in a Sub-Tropical Climate which for Northern Americans is ..well in a lot of need this year...

The Depth of the Atlantic there has some of the deepest trenches and traunches in the world.

That adventure I have heard is great and safe. Take a look at there site which describes more than mere words.

When are you going to be there?

We are scheduled now again , God willing on May 19th 5pm edt to 5 pm edt May 20th Thursday on the older ship now Summit.

His firm is very well regarded, accredited and cares!

*HINT* Hope they accept Discover Card.

which brings me to MY question: how's the water temps for this excursion on, say, around the 28th of April??? Coming from NH, we're okay with chilly water, but wondering if it's even an adventure that will be running at that time? If not, anyone have any advice for in-water adventure that might include a wetsuit? Or...any sailing excursion? Thanks so much in advance!

Thank you for the quick reply. So I will say "no" to the water shoes - I prefer bare feet anyway. I only use the water shoes when we're going into mucky places like our local bay in NJ, but I just wasn't sure what to expect in Bermuda.

And I will be quite thankful, I think, for that wetsuit!

Looking forward to being able to actually "see" underwater by wearing my glasses during this excursion. All in all, it sounds like it will be a lot of fun.

Thanks again.

Thanks again.

ME too!! This adventure comes so highly recommended that we just booked it for the last Friday in April...hopefully all the union fish will be on duty that day, and Mr. Sunshine will as well. Thanks so much to all who take the time to post great information and links, it makes research and planning SO much more fun!!

7 days till we sail...from the Garden State to Paradise...(and back)

May youall have fun in Bermuda. To me the nicest island chain on earth.

Did they accept the Discover Card?

In New Jersey we do not have sales tax on shoes nor clothes. We have economic zones where other goods/services only have a 3 1/2 % sales tax. Not even a deposit on bottles, cans nor containers.

Petrol, fuel even at 87 Octane is the lowest retail cost in the USA too.

Shipping to Bermuda is wonderful . New Jersey is the busiest US State shipping Port to Port for Bermuda.

If your in Hamilton at the International Shopping across from the New Bus terminal your able to see/buy Shop-Rite products there , that is the Large Grocery Co-Op HQ in NJ.

May youall have a safe cruise, calm ocean currents and enjoy Bermuda again!;)

You may want to Book+Mark this site I use.

http://www.oceanweather.com/data

Thanks again.

ME too!! This adventure comes so highly recommended that we just booked it for the last Friday in April...hopefully all the union fish will be on duty that day, and Mr. Sunshine will as well. Thanks so much to all who take the time to post great information and links, it makes research and planning SO much more fun!!

7 days till we sail...from the Garden State to Paradise...(and back)

Archived