Celebration 23rd August 2010

Hi,

We have finally booked our cruise to join other family members already booked onto the Aegean Discovery, so thought i'd join this site as i know how helpful you all are with the knowledge you have gained through your travels.

I'm now a bit worried that our cabin (53 on deck 8) may feel too much roll. I am not a confident sailor, so am hoping that due to the time of year the sea will be kind to us and we shouldn't have too much motion to contend with. Unlike a previous cruise in January on Colourful Coasts from Lanzarote to Morrocco!!

Could anyone advise on any good trips without using the Thomson tours. There will be 8 of us travelling (1 OAP with restricted mobility, 4 adults, 2 x 17yrs & 1 x 15yrs) so we are looking for something we can all enjoy. Also any good beaches at the ports of call where we could jump ship for a couple of hours and leave Mum to enjoy some peace & quite in the shade of the ship?

Could someone please advise of the sitting times for the main restaurant?

We are really looking forward the cruise, so any hints & tips anyone can give would be most welcome.

Many thanks

Sue :)

Hi,

We have finally booked our cruise to join other family members already booked onto the Aegean Discovery, so thought i'd join this site as i know how helpful you all are with the knowledge you have gained through your travels.

I'm now a bit worried that our cabin (53 on deck 8) may feel too much roll. I am not a confident sailor, so am hoping that due to the time of year the sea will be kind to us and we shouldn't have too much motion to contend with. Unlike a previous cruise in January on Colourful Coasts from Lanzarote to Morrocco!!

Could anyone advise on any good trips without using the Thomson tours. There will be 8 of us travelling (1 OAP with restricted mobility, 4 adults, 2 x 17yrs & 1 x 15yrs) so we are looking for something we can all enjoy. Also any good beaches at the ports of call where we could jump ship for a couple of hours and leave Mum to enjoy some peace & quite in the shade of the ship?

Could someone please advise of the sitting times for the main restaurant?

We are really looking forward the cruise, so any hints & tips anyone can give would be most welcome.

Many thanks

Sue :)

Hi, sorry can't help with most of your itinerary but have been to Ag Nik and Athens. Ag Nik is a very pretty little resort with a land train and sea trips from the quay as well as an attractive inner harbour with a cafe culture - lovely to sit and relax. There is a beach to the left around the headland (there's some sort of sculpture standing at the end so you'll see where I mean) but it's not the best kind of sand. I'm not sure if there is another in the vicinity. We're planning on doing the Spinalonga/Elounda trip as after reading the book 'The Island' I had planned to go last time we were there and thought we'd do it independently but chickened out because of concerns about being back in time for sailing! So I'm going with Thomson's this time - it's sounds a very interesting trip - I'll report back on our return which will be long before you go. (Although the ticket booklet does say it's uneven underfoot on Spinalonga so perhaps not suitable for for your Mum.)

I don't know how able your mum would be to get into Athens independently. Perhaps a tour with little walking required would suit her best. But it is easy to get into Athens yourself on the Metro (not so sure about your Mum though) You'd need to take a taxi to the Metro station - only 5 minute ride then for 1E each you can get right to the base of the Acropolis where there are some good markets (local, tourist and flea markets). You are able to walk up to the Parthenon or to the Agora from here subject to mobility - or you can take a land train to see something of the area - not sure whether it takes you to the entrance to the Parthenon - but this isn't really a suitable site if you're not too good walking - it's very slippy with marble slabs and good shoes are a good idea for everyone!

We're thinking of doing the Corinth Canal trip this time - our friends really enjoyed this one - it might be a proposition for your Mum as I don't think there's much walking involved. But check out with Destination Services regarding mobility issues and trips. I've found them to be very good giving advice and also help/ideas to independent travellers.

On Celebration it's open seating in the main restaurant. You are shown to a table as you arrive at whatever time suits you - but as you are a big party, if you like the service and waiters you get on the first night (I think it would be hard not to as they are so lovely!) ask them if you can come back to them each evening and provided you are prepared to go with the same time each night (or thereabouts) they're very good at saving a table for you.

Another couple of tips - try Stugeron for travel sickness and don't miss the shows - they are excellent!

Enjoy! :)

O.M.G. I went on Colourful Coasts -Dec 2008 - it was rough !! I don't know why they don't cut that bit of the cruise out and have more time in Madeira.

Anyway, when we went on Red Sea Magic we had cabin 21 on deck 9 and that was fine ,although, of course the Red sea is much smoother than the Atlantic!

Have been to Marmaris and Bodrum and Aghios Nikolaos is gorgeous, but not been to them on a cruise, so don't know how far away the boat docks.

Hope someone can help with tips on trips

Linda

Many thanks for the quick replies to my post.

Kruzseeka, i can assure you that you will thoroughly enjoy Spinalonga. We did it about 5 yrs ago when we stayed on Crete. The views on this trip are fantastic and the meal provided very enjoyable.

Its good to know that Athens is accessible without having to do the arranged tour as this is one of the places we do want to go. Think it will be a lazy day on board ship for Mum that day, we will be taking a wheelchair for her, but she is able to walk short distances.

My partner has already said that he quite fancies the Corinth Canal, but i said i thought it sounded boring but as you say that may suit Mum, So if you do do it i would like to hear your thoughts on it. Although we are all quite happy to do our own thing during the day and then meet up for an evening meal and then onto the shows in the evening, it would be nice to have a couple of days out together.

Hope you have a great trip and love to hear from you when you get back.

Cruisin Lin, i know just what you mean about the Colourful Coasts cruise, we did it in January 07, and it was the worst weather they had had in 20 yrs. Had one good day and that was in Morrocco, but really enjoyed the 'toboggan' ride in Madeira.

Fingers crossed that August should be much better for us.

Thanks agian

Sue

Hi Kruzseeka, We went to Spinalonga when we were staying in Crete about 9 years ago. It was so interesting. I read the book later and of course could picture the island in my mind. It was a fantastic book.

They were trying to get money from the Greek government to restore the island when we went there, so maybe it is even better now. You will need to cover your shoulders and knees when you visit the little church there.

Would love to go back and see it all again,

Linda

Archived