Coastal Cruise on Golden Princess

ilovetinks

We did this cruise a few years ago and really enjoed it. The weather was nice all the way up the coastline. May is a nice time of year. But I do remember very rough seas the night we left San Francisco. Otherwise great cruise ,lots of great places along the way especially for those not from CA. Not sure of your itinerary but if you have any other questions I'd be happy to help!;)

When going northbound along the Left Coast, you are "fighting" the Japanese Current, which flows South.

Often bumpy outside the Golden Gate, when you cross an area known locally as "the potato patch", where the outflow from San Francisco Bay intercepts the Pacific.

We did this cruise a few years ago and really enjoed it. The weather was nice all the way up the coastline. May is a nice time of year. But I do remember very rough seas the night we left San Francisco. Otherwise great cruise ,lots of great places along the way especially for those not from CA. Not sure of your itinerary but if you have any other questions I'd be happy to help!;)

Thanks! The itinerary we are looking at is: Los Angeles, Catalina Island, San Fransisco, British Columbia. I think my worry was that we usually do Caribbean cruises because I love the sun and warmth. I just was not sure if on this cruise if you could sit outside on deck in summer gear and be warm? Would the pool be out of the question? I know California is hot but just not sure how it compares to the islands. But on the other hand we don't want too much heat like you would get on the islands in May. When you say the seas were rough, would you say rough to the point of hanging to hang onto railings to walk (I'm prone to sea sickness when the waters are really wavy) To be honest, it's just a different cruise than we would normally choose but it has peaked my interest and now I can't stop thinking about it....cruising fever!!

Thanks! The itinerary we are looking at is: Los Angeles, Catalina Island, San Fransisco, British Columbia. I think my worry was that we usually do Caribbean cruises because I love the sun and warmth. I just was not sure if on this cruise if you could sit outside on deck in summer gear and be warm? Would the pool be out of the question? I know California is hot but just not sure how it compares to the islands. But on the other hand we don't want too much heat like you would get on the islands in May. When you say the seas were rough, would you say rough to the point of hanging to hang onto railings to walk (I'm prone to sea sickness when the waters are really wavy) To be honest, it's just a different cruise than we would normally choose but it has peaked my interest and now I can't stop thinking about it....cruising fever!!

I am going on this cruise also. We took the cruise last year with NCL. We had 25 foot swells all the way up. It was so cold that no one was outside. I am hoping it will be better this year. I take bonine the whole time I am on any cruise as I get sea sick. But I love cruising.

For the weather, it will depend on if CA is having a heat wave or not. I live in So Cal and it's 56 degrees right now at 12:30 in the afternoon. In May, you just never know.

The water heading North is usually always rougher, take Bonine each night and you should be OK.

We also are thinking about this cruise, but haven't decided yet. We have done this cruise both directions, in May and September. I honestly don't remember any really, really rough seas, but then again DH and I enjoy the motion and it seldom bothers us. ;)

As for the weather, don't plan on sunbathing. The pools will be open and the water heated, but again, probably not too comfortable on deck in a wet bathing suit. Bring at least one sweatshirt and long pants. You might be able to wear shorts in the ports, but I wouldn't count on it. :D

WE too are going on this cruise, i don't think you need to worry about a heat wave along the coast. we have gone deep sea fishing out of SF in May and the weather can be cool. i would bring a light jacket for sitting out in the evenings... We are going to the Caribean in Jan 2011 and needed a cruise between now and then and this looked interesting and priced well. so we booked yesterday..

I agree it's not sunbathing weather usually in May. Sunny but cooler weather and the water is freezing! Definitely different than Carib. but Catalina is nice and SF is a very interesting port for visitors. Lots of things to see and do. We also stopped in Santa Barbara which is close to where I live but I think that is rare. I would love to do it again... and probably will but next week we 're on our way to So Caribbean.....can't wait!:)

Oops ! :o forgot to explain the rough seas out of SF... basically it was one night where we bounced around quite a bit. Probably due to the currents one other CC member explained. Not terrible, just made us laugh! Of course if you're prone to sea sickness I would take something before you leave SF.. otherwise it was fine along the way. You'll love BC too it's really beautiful especially the english gardens.

We have done it on the Golden and the Coral and are on the Golden for the cruise again next month. It can be rough and windy and it does cool down just south of San Francisco. However, we do enjoy it as it is a nice break for us. If you decide to book we do have a roll call going.

The weather off the Washington Coast will definately be cool in May. The air temperature will probably be in the 50's. Plus, there's a good chance it will be cloudy. May is a very changeable month in the Pacific Northwest. Generally speaking in Seattle and Vancouver, BC, May will be in the mid 50's to mid 60's. There's not as much rain as the winter months. But still, there are more cloudy days in May than there are sunny ones. Not really good weather to be out on deck in summer wear.

Archived