Tipping Adventure Ocean Staff

I was just wondering how much people tip the staff at Ocean Adventure? We cruised the Serenade last week and my kids loved the program. I tried to tip them mid-week and they told me to wait until the end. On the last night I gave them what I think was a large tip for the week, but I'm hoping they were happy. I haven't seen any guidelines on this. Anybody have any ideas??

Let me preface this by saying I am a big tipper. I tip above and beyond for room attendants, waiters, etc, both at home and on ship.

But I wouldn't think it necessary to tip AO staff - they are paid proper salaries, unlike the service staff. So why would you tip them, any more than you would tip your professional day care provider back home?

Of course, I have no problem with anyone also tipping for extra attention paid to their child, or for any other reason. But I don't want newbies to think it is expected.

Just a few thoughts.

Oh my...next month we'll be on our 6th RCI cruise with our 7 year old son, and we have never tipped the AO staff! I never thought to do so. Gosh...and he spends all of his waking time there. I'd love to here more thoughts on this, though. I mean, I just assumed that it wasn't allowed, since it isn't mentioned anywhere when RCI talks about tipping. They do an excellent job with the kids, so maybe they deserve it?

Carole

I have had friends in suites who had chocolate strawberries delivered to their room and they brought them to AO for the counselors, who were thrilled. I also give Easter baskets or Christmas stockings, or gift bags to our room stewards and waiters who have loooooved them, so I imagine AO staff would, too.

And I'm sure they appreciate a tip as much as the next person. But no one should feel obligated. They are professionals who have degrees in child development, etc.

Thanks for all of the input. I have 3 children and I gave them a $150 tip and I wasn't sure if that was acceptable or not. Based on everyone's input, I think that this was sufficient. My kids had a great time at Adventure Ocean and getting a babysitter at home every night certainly would have cost more and wouldn't have been as much fun for them. It was my first cruise and I guess I never thought to ask anybody before we sailed and I was hoping that I did the right thing.

Yes they are paid better salarys than the wait staff and room stuarts, but we also have had great experiences and friendships with the adventure ocean staff, and we do keep in touch with some of them. We also had a fantastic experience on Serenade in Nov of 03 for 16 days with them. We now seem to run into one or two of them as we get on different ships as they do move around from ship to ship. Your tip was very adiquate and represented your satisfaction of their good service to your family. I don't think a lot of people tip them alot. We have found so many family's that don't let their kids get involved with the programs and miss out on so much. They are part of the reason we love to cruise so much because they our vacation so special.

Have a great day

Brian J

I think we were really lucky on our sailing. There were supposedly over 100 kids on board, but I never saw more than 25 or so. Adventure Ocean never had more than 15 kids in there. While it is nice to have a lot of kids in the program so they can make new friends, it was really nice to have a small group where the staff really got to know our children and really did spend a lot of time with them. Having the kids love the program so much really helped to make our vacation a great one. Even though these guys are on salary, based on my conversations with them, they do rely on tips as well. At least on our ship, they pool all of the tips and split them among the staff for the week. One other thing I learned from the staff - they said that people have told them that they have put tips on their seapass accounts for them at the pursar's desk and they said they have never gotten any of them. The best way to tip them is directly, either in cash or gifts or they can put it on your seapass right in the Adventure Ocean center. I guess if they know about the tips, they can collect from RCI.

Archived