Warming a bottle-How

scoonrod

If they are using powder formula..we always used a little warm water..when we mixed it...so it wasnt a problem since the water can get hot easily in the sink.

Or like others said, you can easily use a bucket and have warm water in it to warm the bottle.

Edited by CruizinMom2c

I think it's cultural - most take the bottle away at 1, after the sippy cup has been mastered. I did the same with formula, and fed my kids room temperature jarred food, much to my mom's horror. ;)

Yep..we were done with the bottle at 1..thankfully! Same with formula done at 1...everything got a lot cheaper after that ..lol

Perhaps it is cultural. But, my pediatrician made me believe that I was going to rot my sons teeth and give him a speech impediment if he didn't get off the bottle around 1.

Pediatricians kill me.....

According to my pediatrician my kids are going to have speech impairments and be socially retarded because I wont let her put tubes in their ears.

When I responded that DS knew ball, car, cracker, etc (in an attempt to inquire if she should know more words) my pediatrician responded "oh, well, at 12 months the speech milestone is only that they are spontaneously babbling"

It took all I had not to roll my eyes at her....

I do believe that pediatricians truly have the children's best interest at heart but that doesn't mean it's a 'one size fits all' situation.

I cannot imagine that your child would have had a speech impediment - but I suppose it's possible. The rotting the teeth thing comes when milk/juice is allowed to settle on their teeth all night long because you put them to bed with a bottle.

In the US, it is usually recommended to stop use of milk bottles, especially at night, due to increased tooth decay found in children who are allowed to go to bed with a bottle. I worked for a pediatric dentist for quite a while, and we saw some nasty bottle mouth.

I did lots of things differently with the first, and looking back, a lot of it was for my own convenience, or because I was afraid my child would be "unhappy" if I took away the bottle/pacifier.

After the first child, that pacifier was gone at no later than six month's old, and the bottle shortly after that, and amazingly, they survived just fine. I was so "mean", I never even warmed up baby food either.

We each do what we think is best for our children.

Lol, thank goodness for DH..... If it weren't for him our daughter would be doing lots of things "still". I was "stronger" with our first. DH is my reality check, he is always there to be my yardstick when the phrase "but she's my baby" comes out of my mouth :D

I don't know anyone that actually puts their child to bed with a bottle, but gives them a bottle at bedtime, cleans teeth and then to bed.

I wonder whether a lot of it is because we don't routinely have paediatricians. You would only see a paed if your child was seriously ill and referred to the hospital.

I nursed DD exclusively through 12M - I expressed and she used bottles for daycare and other times I was away at feeding time. The milk would be refrigerated and she'd take the bottle right out of the fridge -- no warming.

After 12M I nursed prior to bed and in the morning but switched to whole cows milk -- in a sippy cup, straight from fridge.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

As to those posters who dis their child's pediatrian, I must say that I LOVE my DD's doctor -- he has a wonderful report with children of all ages and really goes out of his way to offer advice based upon his knowledge and training, without "judging" anyone's differences.

DD (now 14YO) went in with a sinus infection (to check it was "just" a sinus infection) -- DD had been working on a science project on anti-biotic resistent bacteria. He was very encouraging when she questioned whether the antibiotic he had suggested was "necessary" since only xx percent of sinus infections are bacterial (most are viral or mold related she tells me) and he was ok with having her use a netty pot(sp?) and waiting until the culture came back rather than starting the antibiotics that day (since her ears and throat were clear). HE called us with the results (not bacterial) and told her that she had been right.

So shop around and demand a physician that meets your needs and expectations!

• 7 years later...

We recently cruised with our almost 2-year old, and since we couldn't give him bottles and he was not as interested in boxed Horizon milk, it was hell on earth. He weaned off bottles that week. I was kicking myself (and still to this day) about using the hot milk carafe at the oatmeal bar (at breakfast every morning on the Princess cruise we were on) for my coffee, and never thinking to make him a bottle with it. So....save yourself the drama - bring a bottle to the breakfast buffet, and fill the bottle with warm/hot milk from the oatmeal bar, and cut it with cold milk from the cereal bar if needed. Still slapping my forehead every time I think about it. Happy he's weaned now, but man, what a horrendous week - too much change for the little one, and he was hungry the entire time, to boot (picky eater, too).

Our son started using a sippy cup with warm milk at 12 months old. On Cunard, there was a hot milk dispenser for tea in the Buffett and on other lines we’d just call room service ahead of time to have hot milk delivered at 7:30. If we weren’t in the room at that time, they just left the tray. Arranging the milk wasn’t nearly as stressful as reading this thread.

Just a note regarding the advice to bring a bottle warmer. If you call special needs and clear this with them, and get it in writing, you should be able to use one. Otherwise, do not be surprised if it is confiscated. Any device with a heating element other than hair care appliances are not allowed.