Classica - Treasures of the Far East

georgegirl

Hi

We have booked Costa Classica - Treasures of the Far East for October. Its our first Costa cruise. We did our first ever cruise last year on Thomson Destiny around the Med.

If anyone could just answer the following questions for me please.

Is all the food in all the restaurants included or do you have to pay extra for any?

What type of shows have their been in the Colosseo Theatre?

What is held in the Puccini Ballroom?

What do you recommend is the best thing to do about currencies? We are doing costa trips for all places apart from Hong Kong & Singapore which we will do ourselves. The places that we are seeing on a trip we will no doubt buy souvenires.

Where abouts in Hong Kong does the ship dock? What are the nearest tourist places?

We have bought the X1 package. Are we only able to use this for lunch/dinner or can you get drinks in the bars?

What sort of prices are shorts/cocktails?

Does anyone know if you book a trip if the cost of the visas is included in the cost?

I'm glad i found this website as the reviews are more positive. i was worried about some reviews i had read previously on other sites.

Thanks in advance for your help

Michelle

welcome to CC. the costa board doesn't draw a lot of traffic. there is a very useful search feature, however. it is above your right hand. i suggest using the 'advanced search' option and then 'search titles only'. it works pretty good.

We have booked Costa Classica - Treasures of the Far East for October. Its our first Costa cruise. We did our first ever cruise last year on Thomson Destiny around the Med. If anyone could just answer the following questions for me please.

Is all the food in all the restaurants included or do you have to pay extra for any?

There are no specialty restaurants on this ship, so all food is included in the price of the cruise.

Typical ship fare--singers and dancers. As I recall, they also had an acrobatic show one night.

Don't know.

What do you recommend is the best thing to do about currencies? We are doing costa trips for all places apart from Hong Kong & Singapore which we will do ourselves. The places that we are seeing on a trip we will no doubt buy souvenires.

I didn't look to see what the exact itinerary is on this cruise -- it changes. When I went, I bought Japanese yen, Chinese yuan, and Hong Kong dollars with me. ATMs that accept American cards and dispense local currency are generally available, although I found it difficult to find them in Japan. My theory is to bring currencies with me that I will need immediately after getting off the ship, in case an ATM isn't immediately available. Since I didn't book any ship tours, I probably brought more currencies with me than you will need.

Where abouts in Hong Kong does the ship dock? What are the nearest tourist places?

On our cruise, the ship was docked next to the Star ferry terminal, which is within the main tourist area.

We have bought the X1 package. Are we only able to use this for lunch/dinner or can you get drinks in the bars?

The X-1 can only be used at mealtimes in areas where food is served. So it cannot be used at bars, but we used it in the outside bar/grill on the aft of the ship during the hours when lunch was served in the area.

I believe well drinks generally cost about €5.50. Specialty drinks are more.

Does anyone know if you book a trip if the cost of the visas is included in the cost?

On my itinerary, China was the only place a visa was required for Americans, and I purchased it myself, because I stayed in Beijing several days at the end of the cruise. You will need to check the requirements for your nationality. In some places, I believe a visa is included in the price of the ship tour, but you may need to buy one yourself if you don't go on a tour.

I'm glad i found this website as the reviews are more positive. i was worried about some reviews i had read previously on other sites.

The posters on this board generally seem to be more experienced and fairly objective, but occasionally, someone seems to have a vendetta, and goes on and on with negative comments beyond all reason.

Michelle

I didn't look to see what the exact itinerary is on this cruise -- it changes. When I went, I bought Japanese yen, Chinese yuan, and Hong Kong dollars with me. ATMs that accept American cards and dispense local currency are generally available, although I found it difficult to find them in Japan. My theory is to bring currencies with me that I will need immediately after getting off the ship, in case an ATM isn't immediately available. Since I didn't book any ship tours, I probably brought more currencies with me than you will need.

Our Ports of call are Manilla, Borneo, Brunei, Vietnam. I have been told that you can use US Dollars. Is this correct.

Thanks for the info

Our Ports of call are Manilla, Borneo, Brunei, Vietnam. I have been told that you can use US Dollars. Is this correct.

My Classica cruise was more northern far east Asia, so I didn't visit any of these ports.

We have booked Costa Classica - Treasures of the Far East for October. Its our first Costa cruise. We did our first ever cruise last year on Thomson Destiny around the Med. If anyone could just answer the following questions for me please.

There are no specialty restaurants on this ship, so all food is included in the price of the cruise.

Typical ship fare--singers and dancers. As I recall, they also had an acrobatic show one night.

Don't know.

On our cruise, the ship was docked next to the Star ferry terminal, which is within the main tourist area.

The X-1 can only be used at mealtimes in areas where food is served. So it cannot be used at bars, but we used it in the outside bar/grill on the aft of the ship during the hours when lunch was served in the area.

I believe well drinks generally cost about €5.50. Specialty drinks are more.

On my itinerary, China was the only place a visa was required for Americans, and I purchased it myself, because I stayed in Beijing several days at the end of the cruise. You will need to check the requirements for your nationality. In some places, I believe a visa is included in the price of the ship tour, but you may need to buy one yourself if you don't go on a tour.

The posters on this board generally seem to be more experienced and fairly objective, but occasionally, someone seems to have a vendetta, and goes on and on with negative comments beyond all reason.

Michelle

Hi, we were on the Classica on this cruise in March 2010. Don't believe all the bad reports you read, most if not all of them are written by people who wouldn't be happy if they were offered a free trip to paradise. They worried us before we travelled but our worries were dispelled within hours of embarkation. Having said that I have to emphasise that the Classica is not a 5 star luxury ship. It is however clean, well looked after and the staff/crew are friendly and helpful.

In answer to your questions:-

*All the food is included and believe me there is plenty of courses and variety. Very nice it was too.

*We enjoyed the shows which were varied eg., singing, dancing, magic, comedy, even a fashion show.

*Puccini ballroom? Dancing of course, to live music. Ooh ...and a bar with waiter service.

*Currency...we took a nominal amount for each country with us (except Vietnam which is a 'closed currency' country, ie.,you have to change it there) and I would recommend this as the ship's rates are not so good. We are from Liverpool in England so maybe your charges/rates differ.

*HK. It docked at the Star Ferry Terminal.

*The X1 drinks deal is a good one, you can use it only at mealtimes but remember mealtimes last from 6pm to 10pm so you can go to the Al-Fresco cafe & bar at the rear of the ship before or after your mealtime. Also, the Navona bar gives 2 for 1 from 5pm to 9pm with 'entertainment' which we didn't like very much so we took our drinks to the quiter bar directly above and nobody minded.

*Short drinks, cocktails, and large beers range from 5 to 6 Euros, but '2 for 1' halves this.

*We did our own thing as we considered Costa trips were over-priced, so cannot answer you on this one.

*Again, do not worry about negative reviews. I guess the people who did all the moaning are either spoilt rotten or generally sad people. I overheard a couple a couple from London moaning every morning at breakfast about something different every day to somebody different every day, at the end of the cruise they appeared lonely...I wonder why!

Have a great time, don't expect 5 star luxury and, if you are nice to the crew they will be nice to you.

ROY. ps. US dollars are widely accepted most everywhere including Viet'.

• 2 weeks later...

My notes from that itinerary feb - mar 2010:

http://www.woan.org/plog/index.php?op=ViewArticle&articleId=985&blogId=1

Pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8502118@N08/collections/72157623567007131/

We docked on the other side at a shipping dock but they ran a free shuttle to the main ferry terminal every half hour while the ship was docked in Hong Kong.

Puccini Ballroom held music, theme dances, and talent show...

US dollars generally accepted in most places other than Singapore/Sanya where there were ATMs.

We got auto-charged (unless you already had valid visas) for at least Vietnam and China I believe.

Currency wise go for $ US. Cruise lines get the Day Visa for Vietnam ports of call and charge the fee to your on board account . China you need to get tourist Visa yourself before you leave home. If you have more than one port of call in mainland China, get multiple entry tourist Visa, otherwise single entry Tourist Visa. Hong Kong (SAR) no Visas required for most nationalities, check with your TA.

Food and staff on CLASSICA are excellent . Entertainment is JUST, same old 7 dancers night after night, just in different costumes to different music .

Organization is not an Italian strength , and like Italy itself some things could be much better organized on Classica . But roll with the punches and you will have a great cruise.

Normally in Hong Kong CLASSICA docks at the OCEAN TERMINAL on the Kowloon side, right next to the Star Ferry pier . However Ocean terminal can only accommodate two big boats, so some times CLASSICA uses the CHINA MERCHANT WHARF at Kennedy Town over on Hong Kong Island. If they use that you will be advised by Costa . It is 5 minute walk from the KENNEDY TOWN tram terminus on HK Island to the China Merchant Wharf.

(Hong Kong is currently building a new Cruise terminal on the site of the old Kai tak Airport, which will ultimately have 4 berths. )

CLASSICA is an old boat, but everything works, the cabins are roomy , it is well maintained, the food was sensational, the staff obliging and very hard working . Downsides - Shore Excursions outrageously overpriced - do as much as you can on self exploration . Entertainment - very repetitious and very old hat .

Immigration and Customs procedures as handled by Costa poorly organized and controlled at two of our ports of call - in fact in Hong Kong an absolute "shambles".

When I went in feb/mar.

Costa handled the China visa for Sanya onboard. All the ports were handled great on my cruise.

Food was definitely not excellent. Handling of meats in particular left a lot to be desired. Brewed coffee (not the extra cost Lavazza espresso) was so awful I ended up using the instant packets.

The dancers appeared only every third night or so. Occasionally some of them would accompany the main act, i.e. with the illusionist.

They used the Merchant wharf and forgot to tell me, so I was told to cab it by staff for the Costa Allegra which was in port, though I hear later from another passenger that came after me that they ended up running a shuttle. This really sucked as I waited at Ocean Terminal for a few hours before tracking down their staff.

Thanks for all the positive comments it has reassured me . I too have read all the complaints and agree some people complain about anything and are only happy when they are moaning.

We have booked the Treasures of the East in October this year , first time with Costa, and having read this board I am now more confident it will be good.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lindypops,

We cruised on Costa Allegra last Oct, and are booked on Classica this Nov. We joked on Allegra that Costa in English meant Shambles. They couldn't organise a pissup in a brewery. But having said that there a certain Italian-ness that is very appealing. They have pizza's to die for. Not like we have in NZ/Aust, but very different.

The entetainment is very different to what we have on P&O Aust, we had a French mime artist, an Iranian juggler amongst others, and they were superb.

The X1 drink package is great. You can get more than one bottle of wine at lunch/dinner. near the end of the meal just ask for another bottle and take it with you.

The wine is not tops, but is better than "chataeux cardboard".

Also ask for normal bottled water and take it back to you cabin, then you don't have pay for it!!.

When you are in port and arrive back at the ship about 2/3pm, lunch is still on, have a beer or two, and then get some wine. If they are reluctant, just force the issue. After all you have paid for it.

On Allegra they had a happy hour from 11am till Noon and again from 5pm till 7pm. It was 2 for one but had to be the same drink. We would order 2 cocktails each and then at 7pm order 2 more each and take them into the show lounge for the show.

If you work your drinking wisely you will save a fortune, if not it will cost you a fortune.A couple at our table spent $800AUD in the first 4days!!!

We had no trouble smuggling alcohol on board either.

Remember, you are not on a 5 star ship so don't expect 5 star service. If you think like this you will enjoy it.

On our cruise we had two couples who had both cruised on Independence of the Seas and they bitched like hell about the Allegra.

They could not accept that the Indy was brand new and the Allegra was 20yrs old, plus the Indy was 155,000tonnes and the Allegra was 28,000 tonnes.

They were not comparing apples with apples.

Have a great cruise.

Mike (hilifta)

Archived