Gem 3/27-4/3 Short Review

RaMar

This was our second time on the GEM. The first time was a while ago when some restaurants did not have a charge and the yellow water slide was not around.

Sat. 3/27: After a crazy cab ride into the city we finally got to the pier. It was a cold, cold morning in NY. We got to the pier around 11:15a.m. and by that time there were quite a number of people waiting. Check-in was a breeze and we sat and waited until boarding began some time after 12:30. The cabins were not ready until 2 p.m. so everyone was sent to the Garden Cafe. What a nightmare! I had forgotten how crazy it could get there with everybody bumping into each other with plates overflowing with food. Seating was tight as well because the area was packed. After lunch, we waited until it was time to get to our cabin. We had an aft cabin all the way in the back of the ship. The cabin, BA cat., was a bit tight, the bathroom was very small but the shower was fantastic. The lighting is a bit poor, so ladies, do your makeup on the balcony! After the mandatory drill we went back to the cabin to see if the luggage had come. Nope! We did not get the bags until approx. 5:45.

Was I glad to see them because I was starting to get concerned.

Our first day at sea was uneventful, except that the weather was not the best and that evening we had some storm during late night. Rocking and rolling for hours!

Port Canaveral: Still raining when we got there and since we had no excursions planned we took our time to go ashore after lunch. We paid $10 each to go to Cocoa Beach and spent some time there until we got tired and came back.

Great Stirrup Cay: Could not tender because sea conditions were rough and the Captain said that he would try to secure a berth in the Bahamas earlier than scheduled. By 8:15 p.m. we were pulling into the Bahamas. It was nice to have the overnight extended stay but we did not get off the ship.

I must say that at this point in the cruise we both had developed severe colds so we were feeling super lousy. Nevertheless, we tried to enjoy as much as we could under the circumstances.

Bahamas: We had to cancel our excursion because both of us were not feeling well and I figured that if we got wet, we could end up with pneumonia. As it turns out, I am still taking antibiotics to try to get rid of this bug. It was not the best cruise but there will be others to come in the future.

OBSERVATIONS:

The staff was really nice and friendly during the duration of the cruise.

The food at the Garden Cafe gets very repetitive during the week, same stuff except for the carving station.

Le Bistro was terrific and a wonderful dining experience.

La Cucina was o.k., nothing to rave about.

Tequila/Mexican was my least favorite of the places that we ate at.

Loved the relaxed atmosphere on NCL, but will not cruise out of NYC at this time of the year again. Looking forward to sailing again on NCL in the future!

Hope this info helps any future cruiser!

Thanks for your review. I am sorry you got sick and had some rough weather conditions.

I was intrigued by your review because I didn't realize the Gem didn't have its water slide right from the beginning.

Anyway, I can't wait to get on the Gem. I agree with you that the Italian restaurant is nothing to get excited about, but I look forward to the Tequila.

For future reference, embarkation day is so much more relaxing if you go to the dining room for lunch. That is one of my favorite tips from these boards since the crew sometimes try to steer you toward the Garden Cafe.

Thanks for your review. I am sorry you got sick and had some rough weather conditions.

I was intrigued by your review because I didn't realize the Gem didn't have its water slide right from the beginning.

Anyway, I can't wait to get on the Gem. I agree with you that the Italian restaurant is nothing to get excited about, but I look forward to the Tequila.

For future reference, embarkation day is so much more relaxing if you go to the dining room for lunch. That is one of my favorite tips from these boards since the crew sometimes try to steer you toward the Garden Cafe.

The water slide wasn't there our first time on the Gem. It was weird to find it.

Thought about the dining room on embarkation but with the carry ons on hand it was a bit tough.

Enjoy the GEM, it is a beautiful ship and hopefully the weather will be much nicer!

Thanks for the review!

I was on the Gem Inaugural when they went through the whole "It Girl" promo and I swear the slide was there?

I am going to check my photos because I took a lot on the first cruise. I honestly don't remember seeing it but perhaps I am wrong. I was surprised to see it because I thought that NCL ships didn't have them.

I would say that in the future check to see what main resturant is open and treat youself to a nice relaxing lunch I always do. This helps set up the tone for the rest of the cruise. As I recall only one rough late night out at see. I do agree with you on the rest. Hope you got to sit in the warm sun. It did feel good ! !

I would say that in the future check to see what main resturant is open and treat youself to a nice relaxing lunch I always do. This helps set up the tone for the rest of the cruise. As I recall only one rough late night out at see. I do agree with you on the rest. Hope you got to sit in the warm sun. It did feel good ! !

The sun felt nice. Hope you enjoyed the cruise!

Archived