Cruise w/ 15 mo - which line is best for babysitting?

actuary cruiser

Hi,

My husband and I would like to take a cruise with our son this fall (he'll be about 15 months at the time). I've been doing my research on these boards but have a few questions. Mainly I'd like to find a line that offers some sort of babysitting option for around dinner time so that we can enjoy some adult meals while on board. Either in room or structured in a group would work. We would be on RCCL Explorer of the Seas if we did that line. Does anyone have experience with this ship? I think they have the in room sitting - has anyone had any issues where the babysitting was not available when they needed it? Is there another cruise line that offers this type of babysitting? I know Carnival has it from 10 pm on, but that is too late - we would like something where we can drop off baby at around 5:00 pm or so.

Any other tips appreciated! Thanks!

RCI only has in-cabin babysitting for under 3 years old...no dropping them off anywhere. You have to let them know you'll need a babysitter...they're not always available. It depends on what crew members are willing...I'd call RCI and get more details about it....

Disney does have "group" sitting for the littler ones.....but I don't know what the hours are.....

Both Celebrity and RCCL ships have in cabin babysitting for a fee for children aged 12 months to 12 years. Oasis of the Seas has a nursery for infants and toddlers as do the two Disney ships. These are also fee based and the hours are somewhat restricted. I've used the in cabin babysitting on an RCCL ship and been pleased. I went to guest services to book my times as soon as I boarded and had no problem with getting someone. Babysitting is available from 8 a.m. to 2 a.m. on RCCL.

I believe that both Celebrity and HAL have in cabin sitting too. You can check that out, but if I were you, I'd go with Carnival. I know the hours aren't really dinner hours, but they do provide so many hours with the under two's. When my son was that age we took him to dinner with us and then on to camp for the evening. Carnival is also open for babysitting on sea days from 12pm-2pm and on port days from arrival in port until 12 noon. For me, I'd rather be guaranteed certain hours, even if they're not my favorite ones, than have no guarantee and figure out who may or may not be available once you board.

We're taking out 14 month old on a 7-day cruise later this month on Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas. We plan to use the in-cabin babysitting on 1 or 2 nights (although honestly, it makes me a little nervous so I'm not 100% on it yet!) If I can possibly remember, I'll find this thread again and let you know how it goes. Or if this site has a messaging feature, feel free to message me (I'm brand new to the site and haven't really looked at all the features)

Thanks for all the comments.

One thing I forgot to ask - do you get some sort of pager or device so that the babysitters can call you if you are needed? Like if we get a sitter for him after he goes to sleep, if he wakes up and is scared and needs us I'd like to be contacted.

Thanks for all the comments.

One thing I forgot to ask - do you get some sort of pager or device so that the babysitters can call you if you are needed? Like if we get a sitter for him after he goes to sleep, if he wakes up and is scared and needs us I'd like to be contacted.

No pagers; however, they do have a small form to fill with with general information about your baby (what s/he is allowed to eat/drink, bed time rituals, etc.) to your whereabouts to permission to take your child out of the cabin on a walk. There are phones throughout the ship - you can always call to check on your little one. I do understand the nervousness about leaving your child behind... the first evening was the worst because I didn't know what to expect, but my fears and reservations were quickly displaced. Good luck to you!

We did in room on Freedom and it was awesome! The only problem was they have a rule they need 2 babysitters in the room at a time so they are not always available. They only had 4 people on our cruise that were able so it filled up fast. Make sure right when you get on the ship to sign up for it! They were wonderful! and I was sooooooooo nervous!

Archived