Ships and categories

Can someone here try to explain to me what all the different catagories for the RCI ships mean? I went to their website earlier to try and do a little research, but I didn't understand what all the different classes of ships meant. :confused: Thanks!

Okay,

I'll try this because 10 other people have looked at one appears to be a simple question and not helped.:(

RCI is currently sailing fiveclasses of ship. A ship class is a basic design by size, displacement (weight), and configuration. The oldest are the Empress and Sovereign classes and vision classes. The Radiance are newer and larger than the first three and sail in all of the rccl venues. The voyager class and soon to be ultra-voyager class are mega ship unable to traverse the Panama canal and pretty much stuck in the Caribbean, although rumor has it that, wit the arrival of the ultra-voyagers one of the voyager class will do work in hte Mediterrenean.

Most of these cruise ships are less than 20 years old and the Empress - the oldest in the fleet first sailed in 1990.

So, The difference between two ships in a class will be decor according to the ships theme. Or minor upgrades. For Example The Voyager of the Seas is the EXACT same ship as the Navigator of the Seas except for the art theme (NOS is an Aztec theme), Glass balcony walls on the NOS (which makes it slightly heavier thatn VOS), and there is no children's water slide on NOS.

too much to explain - check this link out http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/home.do;jsessionid=0000fg1Fqnv2RiDd-KuCSCgA8fe:v29bc6gq?cS=NAVBAR

and click on one of the 5 different category types. The Voyager family is the largest of the ships (5 of them) with the others getting progressively smaller (and ammenities change depending on their build date and what they were designed for)

Okay,

Most of these cruise ships are less than 20 years old and the Empress - the oldest in the fleet first sailed in 1990.

Sovereign is the oldest ship first sailing in 1988 and then being refurb'd recently.

RiverRev, thank you for taking the time to actually explain that to me. I had already done what some else had suggested and went to RC's website...of course that told me nothing. So thank you for actually taking the time to explain it!

Can someone here try to explain to me what all the different catagories for the RCI ships mean? I went to their website earlier to try and do a little research, but I didn't understand what all the different classes of ships meant. :confused: Thanks!

Here's some info from an RCI brochure, advertisement hype & all:

VOYAGER FAMILY OF SHIPS:

The most state-of-the-art ships in the cruise industry, our Voyager family of ships is a marvel of maritime engineering and among the largest at sea today. Stroll down the Royal Promenade, our version of Main Street, packed with full of botiques and eateries. Sharpen your swing in our golf simulator or uncork rare finds at Vintages, our first wine bar at sea. Ice-skate in Studio B, our onboard stake rink, or shoot some hoops on our full-sized basketball court located on the Sports Deck.

RADIANCE FAMILY OF SHIPS:

Our newest ships belong to the Radiance family, which offers greater speed, added comfort, more open space, glass and balconies. These ships offer breathtaking, nine-story glass Centriums, with glass elevators facing the sea. Ships in the Radiance family also include the industry's only self-leveling pool tables, a seafood restaurant, a jazz club and much more.

VISION FAMILY OF SHIPS:

Our Vision family of ships offers a number of amentities, including a stunning, adult-only Solarium, eight bars and lounges, two-story dining rooms, swimming pools, a Centrium, and 18-hole miniature-golf course and an outdoor jogging track. They all feature thousands of windowsand a retractable-glasss-roofed Solarium that ensures perfect weather every day.

SOVEREIGN FAMILY AND EMPRESS OF THE SEAS:

Our sovereign family of ships and Empress of the Seas offer luxurious sun decks, designer botiques, exicting nightclubs, contemporary stage productions and stunning panoramic views from the Viking Crown Lounge. Come aboard and explore.

=============================================

You may have to try the RCI web again to determine which ship falls into what class. I don't have that info handy. Also have to remember that even ships within the same class will have some minor (and maybe major) differences as they came on line. Again, you may have to do some reasearch on the web site. Migh suggest getting the latest brochure from either RCI or your TA.

Happy cruising....

Yes, you're right Philly, I just think of the Empress as "old." I think its beacuse the name did not fit the pattern until recently. I also saw the ship when in Cozumel and thought it really looked like a model T next to the Navigator. Is the Sovereign the ship they recenltly stretched?

USGA I'm sure your impression of the Mariner was breathtaking but remember if the itinerary does not work for you the other ships sailing from Miami will go to about the same places. Occasionally people review the Mariner and the Adventure in "less than steller" reviews. I discount these extensively, but, at teh same time, I have not seen and poor reviews for the other sisters (ships in the same class)

Voyager Class: Voyager, Explorer, Adventure, Navigator, Mariner

Radiance Class: Radiance, Brilliance, Jewell, Serenade

Vision Class: (3 sets of twins) Legend/Splendour, Enchantment/Grandeur, Rhapsody/Vision

Sovereign Class: Sovereign, Monarch, Majesty

Empress is one-of-a-kind

The Sovereign was not stretched. While RCI did pioneer lengthening cruise ships, none of their current fleet has ever been lengthened. However the Enchantment will be lengthened this spring by 71 (73?) feet.

Archived