Feb 2011 Dream, Glory, Liberty or Valor with kids

BCV23

Due to crazy schedules we can only cruise the week of Feb 12 2011. We will have two families. I have two girls ages 6 and 10. We have done two Disney cruises (one Magic one Wonder). The other couple will have two active boys ages 10 and 16. My girls loved spending time at the pool....so this is important. Do all of slides or waterparks?

I have also looked at the Oasis of the Seas and the Freedom from RCCI but both are more expensive.

The Glory is Eastern, Liberty is Western and Valor is Western. Any of these any warmer than the other this time of year. What about calmer seas?

Thanks for any help!

Hi! I seem to have more luck with western that time of year but it could just be the way it has been for me!!

In case this figures into your decision the Carnival Valor will be just coming out of drydock for the February 13 sailing. That is the one that I have booked! The Liberty will not go into drydock until October of next year. The Glory was just in drydock earlier this year and has the new adult serenity.

They are all three conquest class ships and have the same layout but different decor for the most part.

Some say they wouldn't go on a cruise right out of drydock. Others have said they boarded early and got to go right to their rooms. This is more of a basic drydock for the Valor so I can't imagine much more than finishing touches still going on when she sails.

Thanks a lot for your review. I really enjoyed it. It sounds like you had a great trip.

OK-my question to everyone is is "Why is Carnival soooo much cheaper?" I can book a week in a suite on the Dream for the same cost as a balcony room on the RCCI Freedom.

Thanks for any info!

• 4 weeks later...

I've only cruised on RCCI but I was thinking about doing the Dream in February too but not until 2/19. Travel agent told me not to bring a 9 year old on a carnival because it's just a booze cruise. So since she's 12 now, going to see for myself and I too can't believe how cheap Carnival is over RC. You should check out the prices on www.cruise.com. I almost fell off my chair today when I found an Oceanview for a little over $500.

I've only cruised on RCCI but I was thinking about doing the Dream in February too but not until 2/19. Travel agent told me not to bring a 9 year old on a carnival because it's just a booze cruise. So since she's 12 now, going to see for myself and I too can't believe how cheap Carnival is over RC. You should check out the prices on www.cruise.com. I almost fell off my chair today when I found an Oceanview for a little over $500.

With all due respect, your travel agent is an idiot.

I can't believe a TA would say this. We are Disney freaks...love their cruises, but decided to try something cheaper. I am glad that we did. We have been on the Miracle and Legend and have booked the Dream for May 29th. We have two girls ages 5 and 9 and we love the ships. They love the kids clubs...the staff is fantastic. Save some money and book Carnival.

ps. I am a conservative christian from the bible belt and I don't drink. If I am not offended on the Carnival Cruises, then nobody can be!

Given the ages of the kids and the passion for the pool/water I'd say the Dream without any hesitation. We just got off on Saturday and had a wonderful time. The shows were the best I've ever seen on any of our 7 cruises! The kids and the adults would enjoy the shows immensely. I wish all of the Carnival ships had entertainment as good at this new ship does!

• 5 months later...

We cruised the Oasis in June and it was truly wodnerful! If that could fit into your budget, seriously consider it. We have also cruised the Disney ships (will crusie Disney Dream in Feb), The Carnival ships (including Glory), The Celebrity ships (not geared towards kids as much).

We always have a great time crusing with our kids no matter what the line or ship. however, the Disney ships and the Oasis rally stand out!

I think I'd be comparing itineraries in detail at that point; all are nice ships. Maybe eliminate the one that was refurbished longest ago, (Liberty)?

Dream is nice and pretty new, Glory was great in September, Valor similar to Glory.

I find RC is always more expensive. I don't consider RC a superior product though I will try out Oasis or Allure someday for the experience of a mega-ship!

Archived