All Things Fantasy

NCTribeFan

Hi Debi

No... Otis was our beagle..... Who passed away in January... YOu know people and their dogs! We now have a Carolina dog.. Old Indian dog rediscovered in the 60's and ours is 8th generation form the first ones they caught... Very smart boy too!!

NCTrbe.. I agree some people just have to fuss... Charleston is doing the best they can and everyone is so friendly down there at the terminal trying to keep things going...

Same goes with some complaints on the cruises.... Sometimes I think people complain just to do it!

Has anyone ever enquired as to why the VIP embarkation at Charleston operates the way it does?

I realize Charleston embarkation has it's unique aspects. But I'm referring to the actually boarding process.

Some ports have a separate door and scanner for VIP. My first Platinum cruise was from FLL. As with my first sailing from there, although we arrive fairly early, there was a line out the door.

There was a Carnival employee standing at the door who asked for our FunPass. When he saw VIP, he said "follow me, please," opened the door and led us right to the front of the line, stopped everyone, sent us through and up to checkin.

But in Charleston, you stand in the long security line, even though they have multiple scanners. Why can't they have someone standing there, checking the FunPass, and just send those VIP people straight to one of the scanners?

I mean, there's really nothing VIP about embarkation in Charleston at all. Once I got through the scanner, THEN there was a separate line to the counter where all the agents were checking in non-VIP.

I'm really not a Platinum snob, but embarkation and tendering are about the only things I actually use. This isn't something that would inconvenience anyone, really, and is being done at other ports, so why not there?

I'll be fine, but I kind of hate that DD will be on her honeymoon cruise, her first Platinum cruise, and the embarkation will be pretty much just like it was for the first nine (except she was with me on my first Platinum in FLL - she was rather impressed at how "important" I was - I hadn't told her I'd taken a solo cruise and the VIP embarkation was a surprise for her).

Oh well. Just curious if anyone had ever asked or read any explanation on why the VIP embarkation really isn't. ;)

Has anyone ever enquired as to why the VIP embarkation at Charleston operates the way it does?

I realize Charleston embarkation has it's unique aspects. But I'm referring to the actually boarding process.

Some ports have a separate door and scanner for VIP. My first Platinum cruise was from FLL. As with my first sailing from there, although we arrive fairly early, there was a line out the door.

There was a Carnival employee standing at the door who asked for our FunPass. When he saw VIP, he said "follow me, please," opened the door and led us right to the front of the line, stopped everyone, sent us through and up to checkin.

But in Charleston, you stand in the long security line, even though they have multiple scanners. Why can't they have someone standing there, checking the FunPass, and just send those VIP people straight to one of the scanners?

I mean, there's really nothing VIP about embarkation in Charleston at all. Once I got through the scanner, THEN there was a separate line to the counter where all the agents were checking in non-VIP.

I'm really not a Platinum snob, but embarkation and tendering are about the only things I actually use. This isn't something that would inconvenience anyone, really, and is being done at other ports, so why not there?

I'll be fine, but I kind of hate that DD will be on her honeymoon cruise, her first Platinum cruise, and the embarkation will be pretty much just like it was for the first nine (except she was with me on my first Platinum in FLL - she was rather impressed at how "important" I was - I hadn't told her I'd taken a solo cruise and the VIP embarkation was a surprise for her).

Oh well. Just curious if anyone had ever asked or read any explanation on why the VIP embarkation really isn't. ;)

I was told is was because of the size constrants, because the terminal is smaller staffing is scaled back. They also said they were trying to fix it so the VIP had a better set up! We can keep hoping for the new terminal!

It would only take one person! Hey, Bob! How about you volunteer for us? :p

I'm sure if they had a nice, new terminal, it would be different. When I cruised in May 2010, everyone was just positive that it would be built and open by now. But nooooooo!

I sent this question to John Heald for him to ignore or just say, "sorry, can't do it," which is nonsense. One person. That's all.

I know! I'll move to Charleston and I'll do it for free as long as I can cruise once every quarter! ;)

Edited by NCTribeFan
corrections

I was told is was because of the size constrants, because the terminal is smaller staffing is scaled back. They also said they were trying to fix it so the VIP had a better set up! We can keep hoping for the new terminal!

I for one would LOVE the new terminal in Charleston to go ahead. The delay in getting this done is being caused by a small group of people who are dragging this as slowly as they can through the courts, under the guise of trying to protect the historic parts of Downtown Charleston. I think they kinda slipped up when their lawyers referred to trying to protect a "defunct" warehouse. In reality, these "preservationists" are a group of real estate developers who obviously think they have a better use for the land. Let's all hope the legal system can see these people for who they are and throw their cases out, and charge them for doing so. Charleston would benefit so much from having this facility to accommodate more of the cruising community. Let us all hope that this is sorted out as soon as possible and we can welcome Charleston as being a major cruise port on the East Coast.

We will be on the 10/27 7 day sailing and would like to know if there is a wine tasting event during the week. Thanks!:)

I am also curious about this as well. The folks that are cruising right now are on a 7 day and one of the members said she planned on doing a review and at the very least will save her Fun Times for me so that I can plan for our 7 day in December. They should be back on Saturday.

I am also curious about this as well. The folks that are cruising right now are on a 7 day and one of the members said she planned on doing a review and at the very least will save her Fun Times for me so that I can plan for our 7 day in December. They should be back on Saturday.

Excellent! We have an open bar Roll Call party scheduled for the 2nd sea day in the afternoon. I rarely do any onboard activities, but I'd like to know what else is happening around that time. Don't want to pay for the party and end up missing one of the few things I had planned to do that day.

I just got off that sailing yesterday and they had at least one wine tasting during the cruise, possibly two, I'll have to check the fun times. I plan on writing a review but I'm still trying to get used to this whole land thing again. lol You know I had a cup sitting beside me last night and nobody ever picked it up! :eek:

I just got off that sailing yesterday and they had at least one wine tasting during the cruise, possibly two, I'll have to check the fun times. I plan on writing a review but I'm still trying to get used to this whole land thing again. lol You know I had a cup sitting beside me last night and nobody ever picked it up! :eek:

Welcome home ! Do you know when the martini tasting was? Did they have the hairy chest and master mixology on the first sea day or second? Looking forward to your review

Ha. Welcome back. Hope you had a great time. I'm on the next 7-night and I know Nancy's one the December sailing, so we're anxiously looking forward to your review (and hope you can scan the FunTimes for us).

You should've seen me when I returned from two weeks on HAL to Hawaii! Man, I was so spoiled after only a few days. Here I thought I'd get bored with all the sea days, but, seriously, by the time we reached the islands, I had a daily routine. By the time we were nearly back to San Diego, I had decided that I could live on a cruise ship. I really could. Sigh. Guess I'd better start buying those Lotto tix, right? :p

Here's the link to jovifan's thread with pics of the 7-night FunTimes.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1711935

jovifan - where's that full review, hmmm? I need to read it before I take off on my B2B.

Awesome. Thanks NC! One of our friends off of our roll call (pinkfloydfan) just got back from yet ANOTHER sailing on Fantasy and he met with Risa who gave him copies of the 7 day sailing prior to his cruise. Very nice gesture I thought. He is sending them to me via snail mail. YAY!

Well, you know I'll write a very long review when I return that will cover both the 5 and 7-night itineraries!

And hopefully I won't drop my phone overboard this time so will have photos again, and will remember to actually take notes (because after about 3 days, it's all a blur).

I've given up trying to remember what I have to eat each night and to take photos, since I dig right in, THEN I think "oh, I was going to take a photo of that! Whoopsie!" :D

Well, you know I'll write a very long review when I return that will cover both the 5 and 7-night itineraries!

And hopefully I won't drop my phone overboard this time so will have photos again, and will remember to actually take notes (because after about 3 days, it's all a blur).

I've given up trying to remember what I have to eat each night and to take photos, since I dig right in, THEN I think "oh, I was going to take a photo of that! Whoopsie!" :D

Same here! Here is a picture of my empty plate. :p

I was hoping to have a new camera in time for this December sailing since mine died on our March trip but I dont think it will be possible. Luckily my brother is trusting me enough to loan me his.

Looking forward to your review(s)!

Does Carnival do wine tastings? I don't recall ever seeing anything about one.

Are you on our Roll Call? We're having an open bar Meet & Greet on the 29th. Come join us if you haven't already.

We did a wine pairing on the Legend a few weeks ago. Great information and learned some tips for pairing. There was a fee involved, $15 I think, can't remember sh*t anymore in my old age... :/

Lu

I'd seen the wine pairing things. I was sort of hoping for FREE WINE, but I didn't really think that would happen. :p

As many times as I've cruised, you'd think I'd get over the food, but I still really, really enjoy it. Cruised twice last year after they changed the menus and didn't have any problem at all finding plenty of yummy choices.

Actually, my problem is that there are nights that I could eat everything on the menu and others that I'm just sort of "meh" about, but still always end up with something tasty.

As for cameras, I took my new phone and my camera with me on my Hawaii cruise. The phone pics were just as good as the camera, so when I sailed to Bermuda and on Fascination last year, I just took my phone. So when it leapt overboard as we were going under the bridge leaving Jacksonville, I had no photos. :(

This time, I'll take the camera again. Will still use the phone for pics but NOT anywhere that it can escape.