Colourful Coasts 2nd-9th April 2010

Cheerypeabrain

Well we had a lovely time. :)

The weather was a bit disappointing, but we thoroughly enjoyed the holiday. We had a premier cabin on deck 8 (last time we had a suite) but it was roomy and clean. As before we were bowled over by the friendliness of the staff, a couple even remembered us from September! Captain Bathgate can waffle for England (or rather Scotland in his case) but he runs a lovely ship.

I will admit that the IE does need a bit of work (and some) to bring it up to standard, but it was clean. We didn't have a problem with the food especially the lovely fresh fruit, salad and the pasta cooked as you watch. The Oasis is a little more expensive now than it was in September...but well worth it.

We didn't go to the shows as that isn't really our 'thing', apart from the little one put on for the Captain's Cocktail Party. We liked to sit on deck and take in the sea air in the evenings. We did go on the excursions tho, OH's favourite being the trip in the submarine in Lanzarote...mine the walk around La Caldera in La Palma with the lovely guide. (think his name was Vincent...began with a 'V' anyway) Also loved Madeira altho the coach trip up along the cliff road was a bit scary. :eek:

Agadir was interesting. I had been really worried about it, but altho it could not compare with the stunning scenery of Madeira or the Canaries, it was nevertheless a fascinating place. It didn't smell bad when I was there, and the stallholders in the souk were friendly and cheerful. We were pestered by a chap who wanted to act as a guide at one point, but we shook him off without too much trouble. OH has a smattering of Arabic and had taught me a few basics...it's amazing how charmed the people were when we stumbled through our rubbish vocabulary!

OH bought a splendid djellaba (traditional hooded coat thing) for himself and a ladies one for me (abaya)..we were made to feel welcome and special. As we left the stall I was presented with a lovely blouse and a scarf as a gift! These people are very poor, I was touched. I think that we were very lucky....oh and I bought a bottle of argan oil from the Kasbat Sous..a bit stinky but it's really helped my psoriasis!

I understand that some people had problems in Agadir. One thing I would say (without meaning to offend anybody) the handout we were given prior to our visit to the souk clearly stated that in Morocco it is considered very offensive for women to show either their shoulders or knees, yet many of the tourists on our coach were wearing shorts and strappy tops. This in no way excuses abusive behaviour on the part of the Moroccan people but it may explain it. I think that the holiday company could do more to ensure that tourists are aware of this sort of thing.

It all went too quickly for me....shame the weather wasn't brilliant.

Hi Cheery,

Glad you had a good time. It sounds like the weather hasn't picked up much since December.

It was very hot and sunny though in Agadir, that might have helped the pong.

I'm a nurse and used to some offensive smells, but this was bad.

Berwyn

Archived