Howard Johnson in Old San Juan

ready2gosailing

Does anyone have any opinions/reviews of the HoJo's in OSJ? We're staying there three nights before we cruise. We did make sure to book a balcony room, as I understand most rooms are inside. Any input on the room, hotel, info on stuff close by as far as restaurants, shopping, etc. would be appreciated. I think I remember that there is a bistro in the hotel, anyone know anything about how good or bad that is or pricing?

Thanks!

We stayed there in Feb of this year. Loved the location. If you have one of the balcony rooms you will have a view of Plaza de Armas. The hotel has a coffee shop, but we only got coffee to go, never ate there. The staff was very friendly and helpful. There is a Walgrens, Radio Shack, Marshalls and even a McDonalds just across the plaza. There is a police station right next door, lots of police officers around the area. We never felt unsafe, even late at night. Lots of nightclubs, places to eat etc very close by. There is a food kiosk in the plaza that is open 24/7. The building is old, but very clean. The stairs are very narrow and the elevator is small and verrryyy sloooow. We only used the elvator to take our luggage up and down There is no pool. They have wifi, but it works best in the lobby. Each room has a a/c unit that keeps the room very cool, a little noisy, but not to bad. There is a free trolly stop and taxi stand right in front of the hotel. You could walk to the port with your bags, but with the narrow sidewalks and traffic we took a taxi and it was only $6-8. If we can answer any other ?? just ask.

My sister and I have stayed here twice- We love being in the center of the action. The place is old world on the outside and a mixture of modern and historic on the inside. The rooms are clean, comfortable and nice. The service is excellent. They will happily store your luggage if you want to spend some time in town before heading to the ship. This year, we arrived early and our room was ready for check-in. We actually slept with the balcony doors open both times- we loved the fresh air- and the noise did not keep us awake.

We like to walk a few blocks down the street to La Mallorca for a nice quaint breakfast or lunch. To get there, you walk past the Walgreens and Subway on the road to the left and just keep following the road until you see it on the right. La Bombonera [which is mentioned alot] is on the left of the same road.

You are within walking distance of the forts, and tons of shops and restaurants. The Plaza is right outside the balcony. The third floor balcony has the best views, but the fourth story ones are the biggest. The lady in the souvenier shop right across the street sold us some Mt. Dew's at a discounted price since we wanted two six packs and they everyone only sold invidual bottles.

Here are some pics for you:

The third floor has the iron railing and the fourth floor is at the top of the building

2397075540104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

this is a view of the plaza from the balcony:

2577618180104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

2577618180104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

this is the square (Plaza de Armas ), the building with the 2 towers on the right is the Ayuntamiento or Alcaldía which is the san juan mayor's building. to the left (not shown) there are some government offices. the lime building is a great sandwich place called El Mesón (puerto rican style sandwich, imo are tastier than subways franchise, served with 100% puerto rican coffee). next to the Ayuntamiento there is a puerto rican pharmacy, in the other corner you have walgreens, a supermarket and more stores.

Thanks for all the info, and the pictures are awesome. We chose this hotel both for the price and the location. You said it was possible to walk to the pier... can you tell me how far it is? We'll each have one bag (three of us) and a carry-on size bag each (unless we go crazy with the souvenirs of San Juan. We are thinking of mailing some souvenirs back home from the post office there if we buy very much.

Any inside room pics?

Thanks for all the info, and the pictures are awesome. We chose this hotel both for the price and the location. You said it was possible to walk to the pier... can you tell me how far it is? We'll each have one bag (three of us) and a carry-on size bag each (unless we go crazy with the souvenirs of San Juan. We are thinking of mailing some souvenirs back home from the post office there if we buy very much.

Any inside room pics?

About six blocks to the pier. Like I said before, the sidewalks and streets are very narrow and the cars will almost touch you when they pass. One thing we noticed, the drivers around OSJ are very nice, they will stop to let you cross streets, are not aggressive like in some cities.

Any inside room pics?

It is within walking distance to the piers that ships use for day visits. The ships that are departing from San Juan are too far to walk- about a ten minute cab ride.

Luckily, I take way too many photos- so I'm happy to share a few:

King Suite- 4th floor balcony room

2866268500104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

door to balcony

2107392360104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

view from balcony

2137716310104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

small, but clean and modern bathroom

2676156930104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

lobby area with cafe

2084012290104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

front desk

2025208830104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

MDSue

"The ships that are departing from San Juan are too far to walk- about a ten minute cab ride".

The Carnival Victory leaves from the Old San Juan pier.

oops- I have only sailed from RCCL. I'm not sure I'd want to walk that far with a week's worth of luggage, but the pier in OSJ is definitely within walking distance for those who don't mind.

Thanks for the pics, brings back memories. I stayed there in March in an inside room and agree it was great. The trip advisor reviews had me nervous even with my good experience this year. I actually have a room scheduled for next year when I go back (Yes, it was that fun, I rescheduled the Southern cruise on the Victory two days after getting home)

I started reading the reviews to see if I wanted to stay at HJ again and I almost wondered if I had stayed in the same hotel:). In my experience staff was great, room clean and comfortable. I did ask for a lower floor room and had a room on the bottom floor back of the lobby so I didn't use the small elevator or stairs, it was perfect, clean and quiet. No window but did not feel claustrophobic at all, plenty of space and nice bathroom. Bed was comfortable and ease of getting around old san juan cannot be beat for the price. (ok maybe on priceline but still not brave enough to attempt that)

Also dropping the luggage was great after leaving the ship. Couldn't get into the room until 3pm but luggage and check in was done before going out to explore. Free trolley right outside the door and shopping, dining around the corner or across the way.

I was travelling solo so location, price and safe environment was very important.

Archived