How does RCCL deal with food allergies? Anyone : )

Hello - husband & I along with our two daughters ages 26 & 24 will be sailing on the Freedom of the Season May 9th! My daughter has food allergies - nuts & shellfish.. My TA has written to RCCL and has advised them. We all want to use My Time dining.. any one have any suggestions or have dealt with this on board? Of course we will be bring epipens and benedryl. Thanks for your help. Just a little scared for my daughter.. Plan on telling the waiter every night.. I hope they cook things in a different area!

Hello - husband & I along with our two daughters ages 26 & 24 will be sailing on the Freedom of the Season May 9th! My daughter has food allergies - nuts & shellfish.. My TA has written to RCCL and has advised them. We all want to use My Time dining.. any one have any suggestions or have dealt with this on board? Of course we will be bring epipens and benedryl. Thanks for your help. Just a little scared for my daughter.. Plan on telling the waiter every night.. I hope they cook things in a different area!

I would encourage you to reconsider the My Time Dining or try to get the same wait staff every night. Our son has a dairy and egg allergy. By discussing this with our wait team on the first night, the remainder of the cruise was a breeze. We were able to select items from the menu the night before and the items are prepared in a separate kitchen.

Your TA should have contacted the Special Needs dept, verify that they did. With MTD it is definitely more difficult as with traditional dining they know each night where to find you. Each night they SHOULD show you the menu for the next night and discuss preparation and ingredients.

You will need to be more proactive since you won't have the same wait team each night. I have never had issues but we have never done MTD.

Hi, I completely understand as I am also allergic to shellfish. I have always emailed Royal ahead of time and then still remind my waiter. The head waiter usually approaches me the first night in the dining room and already has a record of it and he as well reminds his wait staff. I have never had a problem. I would recommend being careful in the buffet as I know for me if someone uses a serving spoon in something with seafood then puts it back somewhere else I can get sick just from it touching the utensil. As far as my time dining we have never done that but on our last cruise we met a couple at a table next to us on my time and they were given the same table and waiter each night. They were however always within about an hour of the same eating time during second seating so maybe that is why it worked out that way.

Here is the information that I keep bookmarked from the Royal website that will help you with the information and where to email. They have always been very helpful and email me back saying the allergy has been noted.

Happy Sailing! :)

A: We make every effort to accommodate our guests' dietary requirements whenever possible. We can accommodate dietary needs such as:

Food allergies Gluten-free Kosher Low-fat Low-sodium

Vegetarian Meals (including Indian-style vegetarian) are available on all menus in the Dining Room and Windjammer Cafe every day. Guests do not need to make a special request for these meals.

Lactose-free/soy milk, Ensure, and kosher meals are available no extra charge. All you have to do is notify us at least 45 days prior to sailing (90 days for European/South American Itineraries).

Kosher for Passover meal requests MUST be received 90 days in advance in order to be accommodated.

Contact your travel agent or Certified Vacation Planner and request that the remark be noted in your reservation details. If you made your reservation online at royalcaribbean.com you may add your request to the "update personal information." section. You may also send an e-mail request to special_needs@rccl.com; please include in the e-mail the guests' names, booking number, ship name and sail date. E-mails will receive an automated response. We kindly ask that guests do not call Royal Caribbean International suppliers with specific questions.

I cruised on the Mariner in March and I also have a tree nut allergy. When I told our waiter of this on the first evening, he immediately called the head waiter over and together they made sure they understood what my allergy was. Then, each evening following that, I chose from the menu what I wanted the next evening for dinner (including starter, main course, and dessert) so that it could be specially prepared to ensure there were no nuts. I never felt unsure of what I was eating (of course, I carry an epipen and benadryl with me as well!). It was also kind of nice for the rest of my party to get a sneak peak each day as to what was on offer the next night!

When eating in the Windjammer or anywhere else on the ship you will have to ask about each dish if you have a question (as you would any place on shore).

I agree with the other posters that it might be quite a bit easier to deal with this if you are on regular dining, as opposed to My Time (we had a regular sitting), as your wait staff will be the same.

I too e-mailed RCI when we first booked our cruise about my allergy, but we booked pretty far in advance and, though I received a reply when I first sent the e-mail, I'm not all that certain that anyone on the ship actually knew about it when I got onboard. I would be careful (and in my experience people with severe food allergies generally are!)

RCI takes food allergies very seriously...usually the chef comes out to speak with you...you will have no problems.

I have the same food allergy as your daughter.I meet with the maitre D as soon as I board.

Every evening i get the next nights menu to choose my dinner. The buffet is a problem because of cross contamination. the out door grill is great for lunch,if i dont feel like a burger i order off the room service menu.Enjoy the cruise.

I cruised on the Mariner in March and I also have a tree nut allergy. When I told our waiter of this on the first evening, he immediately called the head waiter over and together they made sure they understood what my allergy was. Then, each evening following that, I chose from the menu what I wanted the next evening for dinner (including starter, main course, and dessert) so that it could be specially prepared to ensure there were no nuts. I never felt unsure of what I was eating (of course, I carry an epipen and benadryl with me as well!). It was also kind of nice for the rest of my party to get a sneak peak each day as to what was on offer the next night!

When eating in the Windjammer or anywhere else on the ship you will have to ask about each dish if you have a question (as you would any place on shore).

I agree with the other posters that it might be quite a bit easier to deal with this if you are on regular dining, as opposed to My Time (we had a regular sitting), as your wait staff will be the same.

I too e-mailed RCI when we first booked our cruise about my allergy, but we booked pretty far in advance and, though I received a reply when I first sent the e-mail, I'm not all that certain that anyone on the ship actually knew about it when I got onboard. I would be careful (and in my experience people with severe food allergies generally are!)

This was my experience and the best advice, imho, so far. If you do MTD try to at the very least have the same head waiter. My mother has an unusual allergy and they were all very helpful.

What everyone has posted is correct and great to read! (My wife has a fatal nut/shellfish).

My wife's is so serious that we have to request our own table just to be safe.

Definitely stay away from Windjammer, Serrentos and Johnny Rockets is ok, be weary of the coffee shop.

In addition, let your cabin steward know! They do keep candy containing nuts in the fridge. Just ask and they will gladly remove them. Room service has never been a problem.

I would recommend being careful in the buffet as I know for me if someone uses a serving spoon in something with seafood then puts it back somewhere else I can get sick just from it touching the utensil.

Our head waiter from the last cruise told me that when there was a safe buffet item that I wanted that was very probably cross contaminated that I should ask for an uncontaminated serving from behind the counter. I made sure to eat a little off peak so not to be a huge pain in the ass and did this and it worked great.

I chose from the menu what I wanted the next evening for dinner (including starter, main course, and dessert) so that it could be specially prepared to ensure there were no nuts. I never felt unsure of what I was eating (of course, I carry an epipen and benadryl with me as well!). It was also kind of nice for the rest of my party to get a sneak peak each day as to what was on offer the next night!

X2

Or if they are willing or able you can have the kitchen or wait staff provide you a list of safe items. On our Dec 2009 cruise our head waiter presented me with such a list for dining in the Windjammer and on Coco Cay. Honestly soooo helpful.

We have friends who we would love to cruise with but their daughter has severe nut allergies (life threatening). They have been advised not to cruise as the risk to her is too great if something were to happen out to sea.

The main issue for them, I believe, is the risk not from the food (since so many have reported having wonderful experiences from staff in the MDR) but more the issue of touching something that has traces of nuts (like anywhere kids would congregate, someone might have had a pb cookie and used a handrail), and the risk of there being remnants left behind in the cabins.

I so wish we could travel with them, but I guess we'll have to wait until she's older and has more control over where she puts her hands, perhaps.

We cruised last week on Freedom of the Seas with our sons (age 8 and 10) who both have allergies. My 10 year olds allergies are very severe (peanut, tree nut, shellfish, fish, and corn). We emailed RCI ahead of time. We had a wonderful eating experience and no problems whatsoever. We found the head chef in the buffet each day who walked us through each item. We had no issues with cross contamination and he did fine in the Windjammer. RCI makes chocolate chip cookies without nuts and is very careful about cross contamination. He ate about 50 cookies all week and was in heaven!!! Our dining room experience was just as good -- our waiter took care of him each night. They even baked him brownies with no nuts for his birthday! I was very nervous about cruising beforehand, but had a wonderful experience! I felt very safe. My son also ate at Johnny Rockets without a problem. The kids club will serve chocolate chip cookies only so he did fine with this snack. Kids had to wash hands upon entering the kids club, so I felt very safe with him in this environment. Overall, we had a great trip! Don't not go on a cruise because of allergies -- we had a blast! Definitely a vacation we will always remember!

I just received my email response for my June sailing for my shellfish allergy this is what I received.

Happy Sailing!:)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry. We can make modifications for the meals to be allergen free.

We recommend once onboard speaking with the Maitre 'd to go over the menu and the accommodations. It is

also recommended you refrain from eating in the Windjammer Cafe, as it is a self serve buffet can not

guarantee it will be free of cross contamination.

Best regards,

Access Staff

GM

We cruised last week on Freedom of the Seas with our sons (age 8 and 10) who both have allergies. My 10 year olds allergies are very severe (peanut, tree nut, shellfish, fish, and corn). We emailed RCI ahead of time. We had a wonderful eating experience and no problems whatsoever. We found the head chef in the buffet each day who walked us through each item. We had no issues with cross contamination and he did fine in the Windjammer. RCI makes chocolate chip cookies without nuts and is very careful about cross contamination. He ate about 50 cookies all week and was in heaven!!! Our dining room experience was just as good -- our waiter took care of him each night. They even baked him brownies with no nuts for his birthday! I was very nervous about cruising beforehand, but had a wonderful experience! I felt very safe. My son also ate at Johnny Rockets without a problem. The kids club will serve chocolate chip cookies only so he did fine with this snack. Kids had to wash hands upon entering the kids club, so I felt very safe with him in this environment. Overall, we had a great trip! Don't not go on a cruise because of allergies -- we had a blast! Definitely a vacation we will always remember!

I wanted to Thank You for this info,,,As we have been afraid to cruise with our 17 year son who has the same allergies as your boys. we always travel to condos with kitchens...I think we might try it this Christmas..Again Thank You

• 6 months later...

We have notified RCCL of our son's food allergies. He has a sensitivity to all corn products.... They have advised us to see the restaurant manager when we board the ship (yes they said restaurant manager).... They also advised us that they could not help us unless we went to the dining room for all meals.... not room service or windjammer.

If I recall correctly, the main dining room is not open when we get on board. So any food we get would have to come from alternative locations. Thank goodness my son does not have a life threatening situation when he eats corn products, but it causes other problems.

I was wondering if anyone has cruised before with corn allergies and been told to avoid the bread? I can do a pretty good job avoiding the "obvious" items even in the Windjammer....but I always have a problem with bread. At home we can make sure to buy bread without "high fructose corn syrup".

I have tried to get this question answered ahead of time (do they bake their breads with sugar or high fructose corn syrup)? But still no response from special needs. That was weeks ago and we sail on November 20th.

Other posters here mentioned that their children had to avoid corn so I am hoping someone might remember if bread was avoided on the ship.... Thanks!

Hi Sargenet!

Regarding actual ingredients in menu items, I recommend contacting the RCI Miami corporate office. I used to work in Miami years ago and the department coordinating the menus was the Food Operations Department. Not sure what it is called now. (This is not the same as Special Needs.)

We used to receive inquiries regarding food items, ingredients, etc. from passengers with allergies. This department should have the recipes, or at least be able to contact one of the corporate chefs who can research the ingredients for you.

Regarding contacting the corporate office, one idea is have your travel agent email or fax them on their letterhead with your reservation number. When you board, bring a copy of that correspondence with you to show the dining room manager.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Anita

Hi Sargenet!

Regarding contacting the corporate office, one idea is have your travel agent email or fax them on their letterhead with your reservation number. When you board, bring a copy of that correspondence with you to show the dining room manager.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Anita

I actually went directly through RCCL when I booked my cruise. I was a little nervous about taking this cruise with my son so I wanted to go "straight to the source". I will call them and see what I can find out. From everything I have heard, the menus stay pretty much the same. I did call special needs and speak to someone a few weeks ago. She said she was going to get in touch with the ship and get back to me. Still no word back.

In the case of my son I don't need to have anything "special" made at dinner. He is pretty much used to eating out and having limited choices. We always travel with food too to cover ourselves ( I order from a great website that sells travel sized samples)...

Hope security doesn't give me grief! I will be carrying on small packages of ketchup (yeah they put corn syrup in ketchup), peanut butter, salad dressings, bagels, crackers, and of course my small bottles of Maple Syrup! It is totally amazing how much high fructose corn syrup is in products... we really avoid that!

I am allergic to all things sesame. If there is any doubt what I am consuming before my meal I always make a point to ask my waiter if there were any sesame products used on any of food I am being served. Each time, the waitstaff has checked with the chef and reported back to me.

My experience is that RCL is better than most stateside restaurants in this regard. I think they do a fabulous job for those of us with food allergies.

Thanks. I tried to call again based on amptravel's post. This time I was told to speak with "cruise enhancements" versus special needs.

I was told they cannot provide ingredient lists because vendors change quite frequently and I would need to inquire once onboard. It is good to know that I can "ask" at Windjammer or through room service. The email I orginally got led me to believe we had to eat only at the main dining room. Makes it a little hard to eat once we get onboard that afternoon!

Like I said...my biggest concern is bread items. Be it toast, buns for hamburgers, pancake, waffles, bagels etc.... I am already bringing my own cereal for my son and also plan to bring a bag of bagels just in case.....

This is one of those situations where you should seriously reconsider the Anytime dining. I realize that people enjoy the ability to eat whenever, but there are huge benefits for people with allergies when they have a consistent wait staff to watch out for them. RCCL is very careful with their guests with allergies and goes to significant steps to take care of them.

My wife has an unusual allergy to alcohol. One of those strange situations that developed many years ago. It's so bad that even a touch of alcohol will start a reaction. We were out at dinner one night, asked for a virgin daiquiri, and the bartender rinsed out the blender and made her drink. It wasn't enough, but fortunately she noticed it right away and there was so little it wasn't a significant reaction.

Of course, so many of the dishes tend to have just a touch or some form of alcohol to provide taste, but since that's all it takes for her we can't take any chances. We inform the waiter immediately, who then calls the head waiter and maitre d' to make sure that everyone knows. Every night one of them brings the menu for the next day to review and so they can check with the chef to make sure what she wants is safe, or can be made safely.

There's been a few times she's had to change selections since the chef can't guarantee that something is safe, come to find out there are things that are made on the ship, but on shore and stored ready to be served. If there are questions, the RCCL staff isn't going to take any chances.

...but I always have a problem with bread. At home we can make sure to buy bread without "high fructose corn syrup".

Out of pure curiosity, coming from somebody in the medical field but not an expert on food allergies, what is the reactive substance which is in both HFCS and corn itself that triggers the allergy?

I am glad to read this thread. I wasn't sure how RCI handled allergies. I am allergic to shellfish, bananas & kiwi. When I booked our cruise I advised them of my allergies and it shows up on my documents, but you never know. On our first Princess cruise I told the waiter of my allergy and read the menu from front to back. I chose Pork chops and sweet potatoes. When my meal came, there was something on top of the pork chops, I asked the waiter what they were and he said "white sweet potatoes." I realized they were plantains (sp?) as soon as I had the first bite. A nurse was at my table and immediately had me eat four packets of sugar. Thank goodness this worked. My allergies are non fatal, just make me very, very sick. I have kept the sugar trick in the back of my mind ever since. The head waiter came out and checked on me several times and always brought me the next nights menu.

Just be VERY diligent...our "table" mates in MTD on our September FOS cruise didn't have such an enjoyable time because her Gluten allergy wasn't taken *that* seriously. They were passengers from the UK and did talk to Special Needs and informed them, talked to the Matire'D upon embarkation, but the dinners were confusing and troublesome. We had the same waiter every night, the head waiter didn't seem very concerned with it, just gave her a xeroxed copy of a menu...they tried pushing the bread and other items on her every night which she couldn't eat and got pretty frustrated.

We sat next to them every night, and the chef never came out to greet her...

I didn't know it at the time, but our head waiter had 1/2 of the 5th floor dining room to attend to...so we didn't see her at all.

My mom has a fatal shellfish allergy, so I was being overly attentive to see how RCCL was handling this passenger's experience, and it's one of the main reasons we won't be doing MTD again. The personal service and attentiveness that one requires with an allergy like this just wasn't there.

Archived