A choice between Lamani & Altun Ha?

Looking for Sunshine

We will be on the 3/26 sailing of NCL's SUN. We have never been to a Mayan ruin site. I am wondering if anyone has ever been to both Lamani and Altun Ha that could give their opinion on which they enjoyed most and why. I know that both places are wonderful....but since we will probably never return to Belize I want to choose wisely.

Thank you in adavnce for your opinion!!!

We will be on the 3/26 sailing of NCL's SUN. We have never been to a Mayan ruin site. I am wondering if anyone has ever been to both Lamani and Altun Ha that could give their opinion on which they enjoyed most and why. I know that both places are wonderful....but since we will probably never return to Belize I want to choose wisely.

Thank you in adavnce for your opinion!!!

Hi!

Well, like Ute Fan I have only done one of these excursions, but it was the Lamanai and New River Cruise excursion. I had gone to Tulum during the Cozumel port call and this provided an interesting contrast.

The ruins were impressive, the lunch was tasty, and the cruise had some interesting wildlife sightings. In addition there were 2 groups of very active and vocal Howler Monkeys at Lamanai that were an extra added treat!

I would highly recommend this excursion!

I just spoke with my sister last night. She had gone to Belize several years ago on their own. They had apparently gone to all of the ruins, (xunantunich, altunHa, Lamanai). She said Xunantunich was nice (the most cleared, restored, open, and accessible) , Altunha ok, but she absolutely loved the whole Lamanai experience. She says the family still talks about going down the river and walking through the jungle. It was more than just Mayan ruins, it was an exploration into a past civilization.

Things have changed some since she went ---this was precruises---and they booked their own trip down the river and wandered through the ruins on their own. But I think we must think alike. I had finally selected Lamanai (before talking to her and after much deliberation) for much the same reasons. We will be there in 5 days. I am looking forward to the jungle river, ruins in a jungle and hopefully climbing a temple and looking out over the jungle, hearing a howler monkey, and whatever other wildlife cares to show itself.

The Lamanai tour does take the entire port time. Should you have any desire to shop, see a little bit of Belize City, whatever, then Altun Ha is a shorter tour.

Su

(PS. Ute Fan,,,great football season wasn't it? Su: a UofU alumni)

BobbieSu - Great football season! We were lucky enough to go to the Fiesta Bowl -- what an experience! Don't know if you've noticed, but the basketball team (my first passion in life) is also doing well. Cracked the top 25 last week. What a year to be a Ute!!!

Please let us know how the Lamanai excursion goes. That is the one I'm really leaning towards. I'm a little worried about the heat, as we'll be there in May, but hopefully it won't be too terrible. Look forward to hearing from you after you get back.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from our cruise today. We had an absolutely fabulous time touring Lamanai and the new river!. It was the best day of the cruise for me. I don't have time now but will post a complete review soon.

My advice is: Belize is great, just go out there and experience it, each ruin will be different, but what appeals to me may not appeal to someone else. Someone on our ship went to Lamanai, with a private tour, didn't have nearly the great time I did. (In fact I don't think the other half of the ship's tour had as good a time as we did). My friend also went to Kohunlich in Costa Maya and Tulum near Cozumel. For various reasons which did not really appeal to me her favorite was Tulum.

Someday if God is good I will get back to Belize on a land based vacation and give it the time it deserves.

Su

• 2 weeks later...

Archived