The Good Part Has Begun

This is a great forum with so many friendly and like minded people. We don't travel till May 7th but decided to get some Euros today while the rate seems good, so it almost feels our holiday has begun ha ha.

I know it's silly but it almost stretches the holiday out. First the tickets arrive then change money and a wee bit more after pay day at the end of the month.

I guess I have it easy as my OH packs all the cases with my supervision ha ha.

Anyway we only live a short distance from Glasgow airport and have a good flight time 06.40am all being well and the volcano has gone back to sleep.

You just supervise? I bet you aren't joking either.

So when they ask at the airport 'have you packed your case yourself....' you say yes?

I have a supervisor here, so I usually pack my case when he's out lol.

He packs his own- but we each have a check list, on pieces of card which i prepared years ago, with spaces to put a pencil tick as each essential item goes into the case.I'd be lost without my list!

Flopsy

You just supervise? I bet you aren't joking either.

So when they ask at the airport 'have you packed your case yourself....' you say yes?

I have a supervisor here, so I usually pack my case when he's out lol.

He packs his own- but we each have a check list, on pieces of card which i prepared years ago, with spaces to put a pencil tick as each essential item goes into the case.I'd be lost without my list!

Flopsy

Flopsy, You are living my life :D. I've got one of those who packs for himself while I pack for us, eg. soap, shampoo, sun cream and all the other 100 things on my list. It drives me mad:eek:

I've got a list on my computer for self-catering, one for caravanning/camping, one for hotels and now one for cruising and guess who doesn't have one?:D. This is the man who in Cyprus on the way home got pulled up on check-in with a wash bag in his hand baggage (why?). It contained a corkscrew/bottle opener (why?), razors and, best of all, a pair of full size hairdressing scissors for cutting god knows what!! (why?). Needless to say they were all dragged out in full public view and confiscated, my face definitely wasn't red due to the sunburn, lol.:D:D

Jan

Oh we just do it to upset you:o But I Know she is happy so that's why I give her permission to pack:)

In general If I had my way I would travel with hand luggage only - non of that waiting at the carousel nonsense - Think of the time you would save :rolleyes: Non of that waiting for OH to grab cases off the machine :p

I think that's one of the attractions of a cruise - the taking care of luggage bit. Check in at airport and forget till you are on the dock and let the porters do the rest.

And I keep saying to OH there are shops off shore and even M&S in Corfu where we will spend a week post cruise. It is possible to buy summer clothes elsewhere, not to mention a laundry facility on-board.

All kidding aside I do appreciate the big washing and ironing thing before the cruise. The packing the summer holiday stuff back into the case on return and storing in the attic I don't understand It's not as if we don't have a summer up north sometimes, in fact I think summer is on the 26th August this year:)

Flopsy, You are living my life :D. I've got one of those who packs for himself while I pack for us, eg. soap, shampoo, sun cream and all the other 100 things on my list. It drives me mad:eek:

I've got a list on my computer for self-catering, one for caravanning/camping, one for hotels and now one for cruising and guess who doesn't have one?:D. This is the man who in Cyprus on the way home got pulled up on check-in with a wash bag in his hand baggage (why?). It contained a corkscrew/bottle opener (why?), razors and, best of all, a pair of full size hairdressing scissors for cutting god knows what!! (why?). Needless to say they were all dragged out in full public view and confiscated, my face definitely wasn't red due to the sunburn, lol.:D:D

Jan

Hi Jan

That's a good idea sticking the list on the computer!

Both my husband and I once worked in Customs- I was in the office, but he was the one at the airport Customs desk looking for smugglers! Guess who has twice been randomly pulled aside to have our cases examined! Hubby says it's because we look at the Customs Officers- but we are looking to see if there is any familiar face lol.

Before the ban on liquids in hand luggage my hubby packed a box of red wine in his shoulder pack and slung it on his back on the way out of the airport-I didn't know he had done this, so imagine my horror as I followed him and saw he was followed by a trail of red liquid- i thought it was blood at first!

Flopsy

Hi Jan

Both my husband and I once worked in Customs- I was in the office, but he was the one at the airport Customs desk looking for smugglers! Guess who has twice been randomly pulled aside to have our cases examined! Hubby says it's because we look at the Customs Officers- but we are looking to see if there is any familiar face lol.

Before the ban on liquids in hand luggage my hubby packed a box of red wine in his shoulder pack and slung it on his back on the way out of the airport-I didn't know he had done this, so imagine my horror as I followed him and saw he was followed by a trail of red liquid- i thought it was blood at first!

Flopsy

Hi Flopsy,

I'love your anecdote, especially the blood.

It's the same with us, it's always the nurses who come in as patients who have problems.

Someone on here has done the list thing, but I think it was an American and you can imagine the list :eek::D

Berwyn

Hi Jan

Flopsy

Hi Flopsy

That's so funny, about the wine that is. Husbands!! They can't help it.:D

My lists were so popular that my when my 2 boys grew up and went their own way they started giving them out to friends and workmates. Wasn't too sure about that as the list was personal to our family. We used to go self-catering a lot and had things like washing up liquid, cheese and crackers, corkscrew etc. Embarrassing or what !! :D:D.

The best time re. customs was in Arrivals when a teenage couple started having a right set to round the carousel and almost came to blows. They were oblivious to the horrified looks of the other passengers (I think drink and drugs had something to do with it). Karma though, as we passed through customs there they were with all their belongings strewn all over the place with a stern official. Thank you God.:D:D

Why is it that when a case splits on the carousel it's always ladies underwear that's spilling out of the split. Cringe :eek:. Luckily it's never happened to me.

Jan

Oh you men are all the same :p mine says he packs his own ,he lays them all out on the bed and then I have to check through it all to make sure he has everything :rolleyes: and let me tell you ladies the things that he puts in after (when I turn my back) like screwdriver , doorstop , and other weird things he would take half his toolkit if he could ,never know when you might need them says he :o men very strange creatures :D

mrs.c

Oh you men are all the same :p mine says he packs his own ,he lays them all out on the bed and then I have to check through it all to make sure he has everything :rolleyes: and let me tell you ladies the things that he puts in after (when I turn my back) like screwdriver , doorstop , and other weird things he would take half his toolkit if he could ,never know when you might need them says he :o men very strange creatures :D

mrs.c

Hi Mrs.c.

I must be quite weird, as I pack all my own stuff and it is it all the proper things that should be in the case.

I don't let DW near it. It must be 35 years of being the only male in the ward

Berwyn

Hi Mrs.c.

I must be quite weird, as I pack all my own stuff and it is it all the proper things that should be in the case.

Berwyn

Thats really good Berwyn not many like you , :) you must be demented at times having to contend with all these women ;) :D

one thing I will say is my hubby is great at packing all the shopping :D

mrs.c

Hi Mrs.c.

Berwyn

That's not normal :D:D

Jan

Thats really good Berwyn not many like you , :) you must be demented at times having to contend with all these women ;) :D

one thing I will say is my hubby is great at packing all the shopping :D

mrs.c

Me too, good at the shopping as well. I do the shopping in the afternoon and DW picks me up on the way home from work.

If I time it right I have time for coffee and a cake in the cafe before pickup. :D

Berwyn

Archived