How Often Does Fascination Miss Key West?

Host Caroline

We missed last week due to windy conditions and I know safety is paramount but wasn't aware that docking here (in town dock) was a real issue that depended a lot on weather?

We are hoping to go on another cruise with this port call but wonder if this is a frequent thing???

Whole thing was handled very very poorly by onboard staff which was not a big deal for us because we "happened" to hear an announcement relatively early when we realized we were still at sea and not docked but others who had stateroom door closed didn't know it for over an hour later!

We are hoping to go on another cruise with this port call but wonder if this is a frequent thing???

Whole thing was handled very very poorly by onboard staff which was not a big deal for us because we "happened" to hear an announcement relatively early when we realized we were still at sea and not docked but others who had stateroom door closed didn't know it for over an hour later!

We've done Key West on a cruise ship five times and thankfully, never missed it. We've docked both at the Navy pier and at Mallory Square.

About the staff handling it poorly, from what you described I think that they handled it the right way. Why WOULD they start making announcements early in the morning and wake people up just to inform them that they can stay in bed because they ship is staying at sea? :rolleyes:

We almost missed Grand Cayman a few years ago. After a few extra hours at sea, we finally anchored off Spots Bay (south side of the island). Only then did the Cruise Director get on the PA and made an announcement explaining why we were late, why we were anchored where we were, and that we were getting an extra hour in Grand Cayman. I actually appreciated being informed about the situation AND not being woken up earlier to tell me something that I, as a passenger, had little control over.

We missed last week due to windy conditions and I know safety is paramount but wasn't aware that docking here (in town dock) was a real issue that depended a lot on weather?

So you think they should have made the announcements in the room and wake everyone up???

Fly to Key West and stay aweek or two. It's a really wonderful community and there are some great inns, bed and breakfasts and hotels to stay at. We go in Dec. each yr. I love visiting on a cruise ship but you need a lot longer stay to really see it.

Sorry you missed Key West...I would be disappointed also. We've done 3 port calls there (and about 5 land vacations :D) & never failed to get in. Twice in town and once at the Naval dockyard. There might've been something else going on maybe.

Port call was at 7:00 a.m. which is why a lot of people complained that announcements were not made in the public areas every 15 minutes or so beginning then... there was nothing on cabin TV either... Lots of new cruisers on this cruise and many thought we were just 'late" when they went to breakfast around 7:30 or so and we weren't docked. No announcements were made between 7:15 or so and 9:00 ... and, no, didn't expect to them to make in cabins and wake people up.

We have cruised a lot and know this can happen... I love sea days, DH was more bummed...

Learned from some folks who live in Key West that decision was Carnival's, that captain of the port and harbormaster cleared ship to dock and RCI ship docked Friday when it was much windier... go figure

Archived