should i bring the travel highchair?

nvrdunn

My 6 month old (will be 7 months on the cruise) still has a really hard time sitting on his own. We have tried the highchairs at restaurants and he can only sit up for maybe 5 mins before he falls over). We have one of those portable high chairs that just straps to the chair that he sits very well in (for up to 40 mins- at least that is as long as we have tried). Should we bring that with us on the cruise for dining in the MDR? I just cant see bringing in a stroller for him to sit in during the dinner.

TIA!

My 6 month old (will be 7 months on the cruise) still has a really hard time sitting on his own. We have tried the highchairs at restaurants and he can only sit up for maybe 5 mins before he falls over). We have one of those portable high chairs that just straps to the chair that he sits very well in (for up to 40 mins- at least that is as long as we have tried). Should we bring that with us on the cruise for dining in the MDR? I just cant see bringing in a stroller for him to sit in during the dinner.

TIA!

Will you be bringing your infant car seat? That might be an option since you'll have it with you anyway. You can also try putting a sweater behind your child to make him sit a little better in the wooden high chair. He may develop better back control in the next few weeks and this may be a non-issue by then.

Are you talking about one of those plastic high chair seat things? They take up a lot of room and would be annoying to travel with. Maybe look into the kind that you blow up. Those ones squish down to a really reasonable size when not in use.

My 6 month old (will be 7 months on the cruise) ...Should we bring that with us on the cruise for dining in the MDR? I just cant see bringing in a stroller for him to sit in during the dinner.

TIA!

We brought our 7 month old into the MDR, if she was awake she was in a high chair for as long as possible or she was in the stroller, right where her chair would be.

We travelled with our son when he was 3 months old and 9 months old, and both times would just wheel him in in his stroller. We live in the city, and do the same thing in restaurants. This way, they can nap if they are tired, can eat in the stroller, and can be walked around or rocked if cranky, and have a play area for toys. The stroller can just be pulled in instead of a chair. Both my son and my, currently, 8 month old daughter are really fond of their stroller, so they often calm down when sat there, so that's an extra benefit.

I have done all of the above! I've used the stroller, the car seat, the high chair and brought a chair with me one time. If you have the room and it's no big deal, bring it! Do what's easiest for you. My parents had a extra suitcase so they brought the portable seat that straps to the chair and it worked great. Good luck!!

If it's easier for you, bring it. At 6 months my son was good with sleeping in the stroller during our dinner time. However, we traveled with the portable high chair from 14 months - 2 1/2. We never brought it to the MDR with us, but it was a true savior for eating in the room.

• 3 weeks later...

When we traveled with our 7 month old daughter, we bought a nice shopping cart cover (nice and soft), stuck it in the highchair and when she was done eating (she could sit up to eat), we would put her in the highchair sideways and she'd fall asleep (every time!). The shopping cart cover was thick enough that it actually helped her to sit up in the highchair since she was just learning to sit up.

I did when my oldest was a baby. I took that travel high chair with us everywhere. Even to restaurants here locally (the local restaurant high chairs gave me the heebie jeebies...lol)

So yes, if it will make you feel better and it won't be too much of a problem to pack it (ours broke down and I could fit it in a suit case) then feel free to take it with you.

At 6 months we just left DD in her stroller for the MDR. She would often sleep though most of dinner in her stroller. It was never a problem to have the stroller at the table. I would just do that and avoid lugging the extra highchair around.

• 2 weeks later...

well we got back from our cruise and were very happy that we took the highchair. Our son very rarely slept during dinner and did not like being in his stroller unless he was being pushed around or asleep. For a few meals we tried using the plastic highchairs they had on the ship and since he is a tiny boy he could not be comfortable in it. So by having his highchair we were able to enjoy the whole meal with our friends and tablemates.

If you eat in the MDR the first night you will need to ask for one and then the rest of the nights it will be set up waiitng for you. As for dining on the lido deck they ate around in some different areas. If you can't see one, ask the staff floating around and they will bring you one. Hth

Did anyone who has used the ship's highchairs ever have any trouble getting one? Are they stored somewhere within reach or do you have to ask for one? First time cruising with my child obviously ;-)

Cruising with Princess & Carnival no difficulty when we had early seating and the same time every night. Otherwise minor delays on occasion waiting for highchairs to arrive.

HAL-- cruised once with them & had an awful experience of lack of highchairs for the entire cruise- they only had 6-8 on the entire ship & there were supposedly 100+ 0-3yr olds onboard.

On all of the ships one thing that is annoying is they walk you to your table & then go hunting for the highchairs. It is very awkward- if we sit down-- the kids then don't want to get out of the "big people" chairs or off of our laps. If we stand around waiting- we feel like we are in the way. We started asking if we could just wait out by the Maitrde until the table was ready. The wait for highchairs was 0-20minutes-- 20 minutes was when we were at the table-- made it difficult to get the kids in the highchairs...... the range on HAL was 0-20min (after meeting w/ Hotel service manager) and prior to that 20, 30, 40 minutes up to never........

Did anyone who has used the ship's highchairs ever have any trouble getting one? Are they stored somewhere within reach or do you have to ask for one? First time cruising with my child obviously ;-)

You are cruising on RCI (I see your signature). And no, I have never had a problem getting one in the MDR. As nvrdunn said, after the first night's request, it will be set up for your arrival on every night after.

Thanks for the advice! We're not dining at first or second seatings...we're planning on doing MyTime dining around 6pm every night because our son can't last as long as a typical dinner lasts. But RCI seems child-friendly and I think if we tell the MyTime people we'll be coming back every night, they'll probably have one there for us.

Archived