Kauai Surf School Recommendations?

TXDZ

We'll be on POA July 24-31, 2010...Kauai will be our best opportunity to take surfing lessons. Can't find any definitive reviews of any of the available schools...so I'm looking for help here! We're a family of 4 - aged 39, 38, 15 and 12...relatively active, but at least one of us is very uncoordinated (me), and although I can snow ski, I cannot get up on water skis. Waste of my time to even try? What school(s) would be best for beginners? Thanks a bunch!

Hi- The best place for surfing lessons is Hanalei Bay--especially for beginners. My grandkids always use Mike Rodger. Stand-up paddle boarding is also fun. Check him out at www.kauaiexperience.com. I recently recommended him to someone on trip advisor and just heard via a trip report that they had a great time with Mike--he even got the 4 year old up on the board.

we ALWAYS use Hawaiian Surfing Adventures (think that's the right name.. gotta go downstairs to look at the yellow rashguard). Been dealing with this great family-run company for the last 4 years in a row. Got my son up, DH (uncoordinated) and my non-swimming daughter. Also situated in Hanaleii Bay. The great thing is they now have parking so if you're going in the summertime (which you are) you don't have to deal with the swarms to get a spot. It's a very picturesque spot, and they let you keep the board for the rest of the day if you'd like at no additional charge.

Love dealing with "Uncle" Mitchell, Mitchell boy and the rest of the family.

Real "Ohana" spirit.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back and my husband took surfing lessons at Poipu Beach with Kauai Surf School (booked thru Nukumoi Surf Company). His instructor was Sparky and was excellent! It was just my husband and two other gentlemen taking the lesson, and all of them stood up on the first couple tries. It was a two hour lesson and then you could keep the board for an extra hour or so on your own. Well worth the money in my opinion.

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/slideshow/AlbumID=3804792007/PictureID=175607778007/a=47481881_47481881/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/slideshow/AlbumID=3804792007/PictureID=175602808007/a=47481881_47481881/otsc=SHR/otsi=SPIClink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

Archived