Confused on drink packages

travlingal64

I am going on the Deliziosa in September and had many questions regarding J2 and X1. I just called Costa and they told me the J2 is all inclusive however the drinks cannot cost more then $6.99 and the package does NOT offer any top shelf liquors! The price is like $363 per passenger. That is insane!

Is the J2 really worth it then? I may just stick with a wine package.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

In your place I'd compute a few things.

• How many days will you be aboard?
  • How many days will you be off the ship on trips?
  • Just how much do you like to drink?
  • How many hours on average would you want to be drinking?
  • What do you like to drink?

We spent 7 nights on Deliziosa on J2 in March. The main benefit for us was never having to count drinks or budget, because we had spent £450 up front and thus written it off.

If the cocktails had been even remotely pleasant, we might have had more, but even that would not have made up the £130 or so shortfall - that is, we would have been £130 better off simply paying for the drinks. Well, maybe not that much difference because we would have bought decent wine at dinner.

if you drink a lot
That's the key perhaps. If you like to drink a lot, and spend a lot of time doing that, then it would be worth it.

That's just my view. I do like to drink, but good wines, good cocktails. J2 doesn't buy those, for my taste.

Not a deal breaker though. The ship is fantastic.

I am going on the Deliziosa in September and had many questions regarding J2 and X1. I just called Costa and they told me the J2 is all inclusive however the drinks cannot cost more then $6.99 and the package does NOT offer any top shelf liquors! The price is like $363 per passenger. That is insane!

Yes it is expensive, but so are the drinks.... plus there's a 15% service charge on top of all drinks bought without a package. We definitely got our money's worth, and we're not big drinkers. Even the soft drinks add up. I didn't find the cocktails as bad as people say, but that's just differing opinions. The wine wasn't brilliant though, I have to agree with that, but I'm yet to find a decent italian red wine!!!

I understand the wine package is only available at meal times, so depends on whether you want to drink (soft or alcoholic) in between times. The way I looked at it, I was on my holiday, didn't want to have to worry about the bill at the end (it would have been huge) and didn't want to have to do without!!

we should of joined the Costa Concordia last friday and decided to take the All Inclusive package VIP £225.00 per person. this I'm sure would of worked out for us sipping cocktails as we left ports, but now i regret even considering this option - our flight didn't leave, missed the cruise and Costa had this to say

" We are unable to transfer your cruise or offer you an refund. Please refer back to your agent should you wish to cancel at 100% penalty then we can cancel this and produce a cancellation invoice for yourself." that's the dearest drinks we've NOT had

we should of joined the Costa Concordia last friday and decided to take the All Inclusive package VIP £225.00 per person. this I'm sure would of worked out for us sipping cocktails as we left ports, but now i regret even considering this option - our flight didn't leave, missed the cruise and Costa had this to say

" We are unable to transfer your cruise or offer you an refund. Please refer back to your agent should you wish to cancel at 100% penalty then we can cancel this and produce a cancellation invoice for yourself." that's the dearest drinks we've NOT had

Oh - that's so bad. I presume you'd booked separate flights then? If your flights were booked with Costa then you should be covered under the Package Holiday rules.

In your place I'd compute a few things.

• How many days will you be aboard?
  • How many days will you be off the ship on trips?
  • Just how much do you like to drink?
  • How many hours on average would you want to be drinking?
  • What do you like to drink?

We spent 7 nights on Deliziosa on J2 in March. The main benefit for us was never having to count drinks or budget, because we had spent £450 up front and thus written it off.

If the cocktails had been even remotely pleasant, we might have had more, but even that would not have made up the £130 or so shortfall - that is, we would have been £130 better off simply paying for the drinks. Well, maybe not that much difference because we would have bought decent wine at dinner.

That's the key perhaps. If you like to drink a lot, and spend a lot of time doing that, then it would be worth it.

That's just my view. I do like to drink, but good wines, good cocktails. J2 doesn't buy those, for my taste.

Not a deal breaker though. The ship is fantastic.

We are taking a 7 night cruise to Baltic Europe. We plan on taking an excursion at each port of call so we probably won't be drinking too much during the day. We don't really drink too much but enjoy quality liquor and good wine since we are huge wine drinkers and very particular with our wines. I also read that speciality coffees and fresh orange juice is included in the package. I am assuming you can't order a bottle of wine and just glasses of wine on the J2 which I am sure are house and low quality.

Decisons.. decisions...

It's not about QUANTITY but QUALITY!

Unfortuntely from what I have read in other posts the J2 is about quantity and not quality. Although you get free drinks they specify less than €6.99, I think that level clearly demonstrates that good quality wines will not be included - just the House variety. If it's good quality wine you're after take a look at the wine packages and book one (or 2) of those.

One thing we noticed about J2, and this was commented on by all six at our evening dining table.

Two of us had J2, and the others had X1. We all had the same 'house wine' plus bottled water, but partly because the wine wasn't very more-ish, we none of us really used very much - so on a table of six, Costa again made on the deal.

The more I think about J2, the more I wish we had done something else.

I had the J2 package on the Atlantica earlier this month. The way to get around the $6.99 cost is this. If your mixed drink cost more than $6.99 you order your shot then order your can of soda. The bartender will give you a glass and just mix yourself. For instance my husband was drinking Grey Goose Vodka which when mixed exceeded the limit. He ordered the 2 items seperately. After awhile the bartenders just made the drink but billed it seperately. We were never denied any mixed drink due to it being too expensive. We had friends who ordered double shot drinks and again they just billed it individually. We found the package well worth it and would buy again. As far as top shelf, not sure what this qualifies as but they had Bailys, Grey Goose, Beefeater Gin. Those are the ones I recall. Sorry but I'm not a hard liquor drinker. But there were dozens of bottles on the shelves and out of our group of 6 couples, nobody complained about the quality of the liquor. Hope that helps in your decision.

That's a great idea! Thanks for the clarification. I think we made our minds up and will do the J2 package especially since from other posts the coffee and orange juice is much better quality with the package. As far as the house wine they serve we will probably splurge and order a bottle on some of the nights.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Moets

The X1 is beer wine and soft drink at meal times only and the J2 is all day and has the above plus coffee, cocktails up to 6.99 euro and other drinks (I have a posting on "Costa Classica -has it got a Video arcade for teens") this has the contents of an email from Costa with the prices on that I got this week from them - have a look there - it is on posting number 11. The prices are there as well - but in Aussie dollars

regards

How much is a coke please? or a non-alcoholic iced drink? How much is a book of tokens for the children and what does it include? Can we buy one for the children and then pay as we go for the adults? I wishe Costa posted this info on there website!!!!

The X1 is beer wine and soft drink at meal times only and the J2 is all day and has the above plus coffee, cocktails up to 6.99 euro and other drinks (I have a posting on "Costa Classica -has it got a Video arcade for teens") this has the contents of an email from Costa with the prices on that I got this week from them - have a look there - it is on posting number 11. The prices are there as well - but in Aussie dollars

Hi Dizzy,

I am in Australia and have just been quoted $1650 (2 adults 2 kids) for the J2 by my agent for a 7 night cruise in Sept. How long is your cruise as the price seems to be very different.

Thanks

Haven't opted for the drinks packages. We were on the Allegra last year and had the X1 and much to the consternation of some people - we got one and used it between the two of us (can't do that any more) don't feel it is worth it.

I have just recieved (not two minutes ago) a price list from Costa in Australia for the packages - will not be having them.

J2: $443.00 per person for seven days - all in - anytime. ($194.00 each for children)

X1: $145.00 per person - house red, white soft drinks draft beer served in the resurants with meals ($89.00 each for children)

Boys and girls drink packages: - $36.00 per person for 20 drinks (that's for all week)

Water package - 13 bottles of mineral water - $41.00 per person (that's for all week)

If happy hour is still on - it's cheaper to buy two for the price of one between whatever time it is - stock up - by 2 x 2 gives you four drinks - for the price of two.

That's what we will be doing

Hope this helps

Thanks found it! However I still have questions!

The 20 drinks for kids, can they share this? Do you get a can or a small drink? Does it include frozen drinks? Can adults use these vouchers? if not officially couldn't we be getting a drink for our son /daughter?

I feel quite informed about x1 and J2 but they are too expensive so I am looking for an alternative. We intend to drink tap water with meals so we only want to buy drinks when we are hot by the pool.

Hi Jo and Rob and Gracie 1

The boys and girls package is actually only 10 drinks for $36.00 - (I put that on another posting below 11. I rang Costa back to double check the price as it didn't seem right.) I am looking at the email now and Boys and girls package is 10 drinks - non-alcoholic drinks from the following selection: soft drinks, Virgin delights, fresh squeezed citrus fruit, iced tea, milk shakes with fresh fruit, assorted juices, syrups. That is verbatum (well not actually spoken - just in print) off Carnival/Costa email dated 16/7/10

You can buy as many or as little of the Boys and Girls books of drink vouchers as you like - and they can share. Just rang Costa Aus now 20/7/10 7.40 am (9.40am EST)- and been advised adults can have the boys girls drinks-no problem

The J2 and X1 have to be purchased for EVERYONE IN THE CABIN.

Gracie1

The prices on my email are exactly as I recieved them on Friday 16/7/10 - perhaps your TA is putting a bit on - but the prices are from Costa. We are going for seven days and the prices quoted are for the seven days

Love the drinks topic - it goes round and round and round - the hard bit is making the decision that suits your own personal requirements.

I think that the boys / girls vouchers are definitely the way for us to go. We loved to have virgin frozen drinks by the pool and as they should cost around 4.75 euros the vouchers seem like a good deal. However the price I was given in a forum search was:

1. for 10 drinks was 22 euros
  2. 40 euros for 20 drinks.

I have just been quoted by our TA for the X1 package at £11.50 per day per person which for our 18 day cruise works out at £207 each.

The J2 is £35.65 PP Per day which works out at £641.70 each.

Now although we do like our Whisky but dont drink during the day I think the J2 package is out of the question.

We can now see why our starting price for the Outside with balcony was quite cheap. All the extras that Costa add on make up the prices to what other lines charge to start with.:mad::p:eek:

J2 at £35 a day includes the 15% tip usually charged, it also includes wine by the bottle in the MDR and as you are on a J2 can ask for an alternative to the X1 wine.

the reason is you can order wine by the glass up to 6.99 euros.

Water, soft drinks and coffee are also included, as well as items up to the amount in your fridge.

As drinks are expensive it does not take long to recoup this amount if you like spiriits and wine with with your meals. works out at less than 5 drinks a day.

Mind you ok on a 7 day cruise but 18 could damage your liver as well as your wallet.

Hope it helps

After spending months reading all the posts about drinks packages, and then asking my TA how much, 3 months ago was quote AUS Dollar 675ish, 2 days ago I emailed Costa Australia (who are actually in China). I asked specific questions about the J2 package. Questions were:

How much will it cost for my cruise?

What exactly does it consist of?

Does it include mini bar in room? We have booked a Grand Suite and intend to dine in our room quite often, are we able to order drinks off the J2 package to our room? (eg bottles of wine)

Does it include unlimited coffee (eg cappucino)

Does it include all drinks, juice, and water, and if so, from any location on the ship.

What is the last date we can order this package.

Answer back today is:

* can only be booked as PREPAY and cannot be booked on-line or onboard. (you may not be viewed this item on-line)

* this item need to add through your travel agent as the booking made by them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J2 COSTA SPECIAL PACKAGE ALL INCLUSIVE VIP

(rates: 695.75aud per package per person for whole duration of cruise with below detailed items:)

The package includes:

- Forfeit wine Q2.

* (Q2 Selection of wines not on the wine list (it includes soft, beer and mineral water).

- Open Bar service with all items up to 6.99 Euro - (excluding: cigarettes, cigars, souvenir glasses

- Mini bar items (excluding: snack and super alcoholics)

- Mineral water in the cabin

- One cocktail per cruise among the following types : E1A – E4A – F1A

* E1A

Fourkinds of drinks (Martini,

Manhattan, Fruit Punch, Spumante),

+ dry snacks, no quantity limitation, 1 hour.

*E4A

No quantity limitation of Sangria

+ dry snacks, no q.ty limitation, 1 hour.

*F1A

No quantity limitation for consumption of Dry & Sweet Spumante + dry snacks, 1 hour.

J2child - this is a package with alcohol free

(rates:303.60UD per package per person for whole duration of cruise with below detailed items:)

- Mineral Water and Soft drinks during lunch and dinner

- Open Bar service with all alcohol free items up to 6.99 Euro/- (excluding: souvenir glasses).

- Mini bar items (excluding: snack and super alcoholics)

- Mineral water in the cabin

Further info you need, please let me know for assistance. Thanks.

I have gone back and asked the following questions:

What does forfeit wine Q2 mean. That doesn't really make much sense to me

What does "super alcoholics" mean. Is that items such as Whiskey, Bourbon, etc?

What does "One cocktail per cruise" mean? Does mean only one cocktail per person during the whole of the cruise? Does it also mean that this would be during a happy hour (1 hour)

What exactly is "E1A – E4A – F1A

I await eagerly for the answers and will post them when received.

I am, at this stage, not quite satisfied with the response.

Has anyone heard or know of E1A, E4A, F1A. This is the first I have seen them mentioned

Archived