need tips on space bags or ziploc bags

A friend told me that 2 gallon zip lock bags are similar to those space bags you suck the air out by sitting on them. This is what she told me. She told me not to spend money on the space bags and use the zip lock? Is this true? I used ziplocks on my last cruise and liked using them.

IF you are good at poking a small hole in the ziploc at the bottom (not where the zipper part is), you can theoretically zip the bag closed and then "roll up" from the zipper while you push the air out. You have to be careful not to push too hard or too quickly or you'll split the bottom of the bag.

I'd suggest trying it a few times first to see if it works for you. I'm a bit of a klutz :eek: and just keep splitting the ziploc, so I popped for the space bags. I also like that the space bags come in different sizes - I can fit a jacket, a pair of jeans, a pair of pants, a light robe and a couple of shirts in the big space bag, which then flattens up just the right size to cover the bottom of my large suitcase.

Good luck!

i have used the 2.5 gallons for our cruise. i use the hefty ones with the ziper.

zip it almost closed then roll or sit on it to get all the air out. then zip rest of the way up. it works great for undies and socks. i use one for shoes. no need to poking hole.

kids tease me about all my clothes in ziplocks. makes it so easy to pull our of suitcase and put in draw when in cabin. i just pull the bag out and use then from the bag. then rezip put back in to pack.

i been looking for new ones. have to buy them online now our walmart stopped selling them.

Edited by bluey258

putting multiple things, or a big piece in the zippy bag..squoosh it in a plastic groc bag 1st, the it slides right in. I put my winter bedding away..and winter coat..also cruze thigns can doo this too..fold t's over ie: chess board..or a pc of study cardboard, then they will al be the same size, stack and several can go in in one fell swoop. The coming home trip, I dont care if things are "rinkley", makes for more room for goodies, but watch the weight factor

I have used the 5 gallon and 2.5 zip locks. I iron say, a pair of capris and a top, fold, slide into the bag, push out the air and zip. Hardly any wrinkles. You can stack outfits, or whatever, in the bags on each side of your suitcase and have the middle for makeup bag, etc. ;)

LOL good question. I've never used the zip lock bags but i have used the ones you suck the air out with a vacuum. I love them and only paid $9 for a pack of 3 at bed, bath , and beyond plus $1.80 savings with my coupon :p. I used them when we traveled outside of the country and also on our cruise last yr. On our way back from the cruise i closed off the hole for the vacuum and just rolled the back to squeeze the air out and it worked almost as good as the vacuum. Maybe i'll try the zip lock bags now lol :rolleyes:

i have used the 2.5 gallons for our cruise. i use the hefty ones with the ziper.

zip it almost closed then roll or sit on it to get all the air out. then zip rest of the way up. it works great for undies and socks. i use one for shoes. no need to poking hole.

kids tease me about all my clothes in ziplocks. makes it so easy to pull our of suitcase and put in draw when in cabin. i just pull the bag out and use then from the bag. then rezip put back in to pack.

i been looking for new ones. have to buy them online now our walmart stopped selling them.

i do the same thing. i put my used undies in one to keep them seperated away from my clean things. they do double duty :D

I save my bags in an empty suitcase from one trip to another. I use trash bags for dirty clothes, not the ziplocs.

I always cross-pack when we're flying. Each suitcase holds half of my things and half of DH's things. That way if one suitcase goes astray, we still have clean things to wear.

I save my bags in an empty suitcase from one trip to another. I use trash bags for dirty clothes, not the ziplocs.

I always cross-pack when we're flying. Each suitcase holds half of my things and half of DH's things. That way if one suitcase goes astray, we still have clean things to wear.

I agree with this! This is how I pack too! Great way, just in case 1 suitcase comes up missing, you both still have a few things! We always each take a carry on with as much stuff as we can fit into it!

I've always packed by rolling my clothes, and have had pretty good luck with the wrinkles. I'm tempted to try to ziploc bags next month, but I don't understand how you pack with them. Is the idea to fold a couple of items, then put them is a each bag, then pack them flat? Does that keep them from wrinkling? Does it work equally as well with pants and shirts?

Thanks

I've always packed by rolling my clothes, and have had pretty good luck with the wrinkles. I'm tempted to try to ziploc bags next month, but I don't understand how you pack with them. Is the idea to fold a couple of items, then put them is a each bag, then pack them flat? Does that keep them from wrinkling? Does it work equally as well with pants and shirts?

Thanks

I roll then put them in space bags but no matter what I do I always get wrinkles except for some of the wash and wear stuff. :o Oh well, I just send the things that need it to be ironed as they always have a good deal on NCL the 1st day for iron only. Ironing is one of the things that I refuse to do while on vacation (stems from having to iron every saturday as a child - oh poor me...lol...). Anyway, I love the space bags as then they keep the dirty clothes separate until we go home. We usually stay a few days after a cruise to prepare ourselves for getting back to reality. :p

I used to use the ziploc bags. They worked great, but i started to have the issue of packing TOO MUCH b/c it was so compact! With all the weight/baggage restrictions, I decided that is not the best route for me! I opt for rolling now & it works great. I travel for work & haven't had many wrinkles.

• 1 month later...

I use both. I am mostly using zip lock. I mark mine clean or dirty. I also put a address sticker on my bags. When I travel and have too much stuff I will go to P O and get one of those boxes where they charge by box and mail the heavest stuff I will not be using home. I like books of places I visit and they get heavy. So for 13 or 14 dollars my suit case is lighter

I've used both. I usually take a large zip bag for keeping dirty undies. But for packing, I think the space bags are better. If you buy the kind that you vacuum all the air out --- it saves sooo much room in your luggage. And now with most of the airlines charging for luggage, you want to streamline as much as possible.

Happy Packing.

well, I just had to jump in here with my 2 cents worth...

I use xtra lg ziplocks and drycleaning bags. I have NEVER had a wrinkle on any outfit with the drycleaning bag method. I use the lg ziplocks for bras, undies, scarves, t-shirts, shorts, cotton capris, etc. Don't put too many things in or the bag will split when you roll it to get the air out. I try to keep like-items in one bag, and then transfer the bag into drawers on the ship. I place nicer clothes individually into drycleaning bags that we've saved all year. They weigh next to nothing and miraculously keep clothes wrinkle free. Last summer we did Italy on our own for a week, wearing very, very casual clothing that we even washed out in the sink. Then we boarded the ship and took out the nicer casual clothes that had been in the suitcase for over 2 weeks (I packed a week before we left!). NO WRINKLES!

I tried the more expensive Space Bags...they split and lost air. Won't waste money on those again.

I also use Ziploc bags, just zip it almost close and then push out the air. It save lots of space. I also roll the bigger items that might not fit into the bags I happen to have on hand. I'm happy to hear that other people are creative too.

• 1 month later...

Janetz

The first link you list ..Norton says it has problems and would not let me open it.

The 2nd link.. bundle method of packing is what I have used for years, however, I have never tried a mini bundle. The main problem with this method is that I always want what is packed on the bottom. I will try the mini bundle approach for next trip. I may even practice packing that way.. which I something I normally don't do.

About the dirty undies, I read that someone buys new before the cruise and throws away the old as she uses them during the cruise! Loving that idea! :D

Thanks for all the info about the bags--I've never used them and am excited to think about this concept. It really helps with wrinkles? Hmmm...what to do?

I must be missing something here. I just pack my clothes in a sutcase and a garment bag.......no noticable wrinkles if done correctly. What is the advantage of the ziplocks or spacebags? They dont remove the weight of the clothes. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I am a packing nut case! I am OCD packer. I put everything in bags to organize and to look pretty. Avon had these great packing cubes this past fall that worked great. They are 3 diff colors and they certainly helped with organization.

We drove down a few days before our cruise.

We had change of clothes for that leg of the trip in one color.

Then we went to a precruise hotel for another day, so another color for that one.

Then post cruise for another color.

We did this to avoid pulling out the big cruise suitcase and flipping thru all the neat piles in there that were neatly packed for the weeklong cruise.

I guess folks use the baggies/dry cleaning bags/space bags mostly for organization and to save some wrinkles. :D I love all of them! Glad to hear the interesting ways everyone uses them. Keep 'em coming!

I am a packing nut case! I am OCD packer. I put everything in bags to organize and to look pretty. Avon had these great packing cubes this past fall that worked great. They are 3 diff colors and they certainly helped with organization.

We drove down a few days before our cruise.

We had change of clothes for that leg of the trip in one color.

Then we went to a precruise hotel for another day, so another color for that one.

Then post cruise for another color.

We did this to avoid pulling out the big cruise suitcase and flipping thru all the neat piles in there that were neatly packed for the weeklong cruise.

I guess folks use the baggies/dry cleaning bags/space bags mostly for organization and to save some wrinkles. :D I love all of them! Glad to hear the interesting ways everyone uses them. Keep 'em coming!

good job. i do the same thing with the bundle method when i pack my bag. i also use the large zip lock bags for my undies. it sure helps on the unpacking of items i need and keeping things in order. :)

I must be missing something here. I just pack my clothes in a sutcase and a garment bag.......no noticable wrinkles if done correctly. What is the advantage of the ziplocks or spacebags? They dont remove the weight of the clothes. Thanks

I am wondering the same thing. DH and I each have a suitcase and it usually takes us 5 minutes to unpack.

I can understand the advantages of putting liquid items in a ziploc, or maybe small items like pens, tape, highlighters, etc.

But am curious what the advantage is for putting clothing in them...