Debit / Credit Card

ATOL protects you from losing your money or being stranded abroad. It does this by carrying out checks on the tour operators and travel organisers it licenses, and requiring them to take part in a financial guarantee scheme managed by the Air Travel Trust (ATT) which provides the funds to protect customers should a firm fail. In some cases a licence holder will also provide a bond, which is lodged with the ATT and provides additional funds.

If a tour operator goes out of business, the CAA will ensure you do not lose the money you paid over, or if you're abroad, we'll arrange for you to finish your holiday and fly home

I'm thinking that too, I've been having a look around on various sights, and it seems a few people had a problem with ABTA when Freedom Holidays went bump.

I keep finding bits about them making sure you can get home if you're already away, but not alot about getting your money back if you don't get there in the first place, they refer you back to the TA to check with them.

I'm thinking that too, I've been having a look around on various sights, and it seems a few people had a problem with ABTA when Freedom Holidays went bump.

I keep finding bits about them making sure you can get home if you're already away, but not alot about getting your money back if you don't get there in the first place, they refer you back to the TA to check with them.

Freedom did not have an ATOL licence at the end of its time from memory

Hi, does anyone know, if we pay our cruise balance by debit card rather than credit card, and anything was to happen to Thomson's (highly unlikely, but you never know), would we be covered by ABTA, for getting our money back?

We've paid by TSB Debit card and as far as I know we're protected with them under a payback scheme. It would be a major earthquake type shock if Thomsons went down so I wouldn't worry. Also the charge you save on the credit card will give you loads of spending money:D:D. We did pay by credit card on the ship account but that wasn't a major sum.

Jan

Like Jan said about the charge on your credit card. We were going to use a credit card as it was convenient at the time, but the charge at the TA was so huge, we made special arrangements to use a debit card.

Sue

Hi, does anyone know, if we pay our cruise balance by debit card rather than credit card, and anything was to happen to Thomson's (highly unlikely, but you never know), would we be covered by ABTA, for getting our money back?

I was booked with Freedom fights when it went bust. It took 9 months to get my money back from CAA and i know some people who still haven't got anything back! I paid by debit card. If you pay £100 by credit card you are covered for the full amount by that company, even if you pay the balance by other means. PS I'm also on the Dream on 27/07/2010. Looking forward to the reveiws.

We paid the £500 deposit by creditcard so doe's that qualify then?

I contacted LloydsTSB today about Visa debit card, and they were adamant that you are definately not covered unless paying by credit card.

If you paid the £500 deposit by credit card you are covered for the total cost of the holiday. I made the mistake of paying the full amount by Visa debit card, but i did get a full refund after a long time waiting for the CAA to sort out thousands of claims.

We've paid by TSB Debit card and as far as I know we're protected with them under a payback scheme. It would be a major earthquake type shock if Thomsons went down so I wouldn't worry. Also the charge you save on the credit card will give you loads of spending money:D:D. We did pay by credit card on the ship account but that wasn't a major sum.

Jan

Just a correction on above. Not connected with this discussion but thought you might be interested, Visa debit cards are covered for small amounts (under £100 as far as I can tell) under the chargeback scheme. I'd forgotten the details as it's not very well known. Link to Which below:-

http://www.which.co.uk/advice/your-rights-when-paying-by-credit-card/chargeback-on-credit-and-visa-debit-cards/index.jsp

If you pay the deposit by credit card you are covered if the company goes bust, also with ATOL bonded holiday companies.

I think you only need worry if you deal with small holiday companies you've never heard of before.:eek:. Doing deals independently can get you in a mess if things go wrong as we've seen this week.

When my bank changed my debit maestro card to a visa debit card they sent me a leaflet saying the reason why they did it was so that it was tied to Visa and therefore gave the same protection. I still have the leaflet as I thought I should keep it as evidence just in case they ever argue it if I need to do it

Jan

When my bank changed my debit maestro card to a visa debit card they sent me a leaflet saying the reason why they did it was so that it was tied to Visa and therefore gave the same protection. I still have the leaflet as I thought I should keep it as evidence just in case they ever argue it if I need to do it

Jan

Hi Jan

It's a couple of years since I even thought about the chargeback scheme for Visa Debit and hardly anyone knew about it then, even bank staff. I actually thought it was for more than £100 but it spurred me on to check it out on the internet. Wow! was it difficult to find info on, I don't think the powers that be want anyone to use it, so, like you I'm going to save the details just in case.:)

Jan(et)

Archived