Snorkeling in Riu? Runaway Bay? Reggae?

bltpyro

I have looked at many posts and almost all I see is that Jamaica doesn't have that good of snorkeling. We are going to Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and then Cozumel. I understand that the last two will be better, but I still want to try the snorkeling in each area. It seems like a good progression from lower quality snorkeling to higher quality.

I have heard random comments about snorkeling at either Riu, Runaway Bay, or Reggae Beach. Is there decent snorkeling at any of these spots from the beach (not compared to Cozumel, but at least something worth seeing for a first or second time snorkel)? Are there costs to use these beaches? I saw somewhere that at Runaway Bay there is a person that will take you out with a boat. Is that a requirement for snorkeling there?

I think some of my confusion is from hearing contradictory things (like one person saying good snorkeling from a beach and another saying no snorkeling from same beach).

Thanks a lot for your help.

Archived