Need anti-fog for Caribbean? Use on Camera?

bltpyro

I have read about using anti-fog cleaning spray for snorkel masks and was wondering how much it is needed in the Caribbean in May (or other times of the year)?

Also, does the same stuff work for underwater camera housings? Does it depend on the material?

Underwater camera housing use the moister munchers, little 1-2 inch tubes with crystals in them. You DO NOT want to put any liquid in the housing.

Mask can fog in any water. Simplest anti fog is spit. Otherwise 2-3 drops of dish soap or baby shampoo into a small container of water, then mix and use 5-6 drops per mask. Then there is the stuff the dive shops sell that cost 100 times as much.

I PUT TOOTHPASTE IN MY MASK TO KEEP IT FROM FOGGING IT WORKS it may sound crazy but it works as for the camera i'm not sure

How do you use the toothpaste? Spread it on the inside, then rinse right before going in ?

• 4 weeks later...
I have read about using anti-fog cleaning spray for snorkel masks and was wondering how much it is needed in the Caribbean in May (or other times of the year)?

Also, does the same stuff work for underwater camera housings? Does it depend on the material?

The reason your mask fogs is the warm air you exhale into it, so you can spit in it, works OK, you can make your own defog solution with water & baby shampoo, no babies in the house anymore so I have to buy the shampoo, or commercial defog solution wich is a couple of bucks for a container that lasts until you lose it. 30 years of diving and don't think I ever used one up even sharing with the folks too cheap to spend the couple of dollars to get thier own. The defog solution works the best, especially on a clean glass mask, which is why you use the toothpaste. The toothpaste is nonabrasive and cleans the glass so the defog solution will work. If you use toothpaste with floride it should prevent cavities in your mask also (little known benefit, never had a mask with cavities in 30yrs either.) Use the dessicant for the camera housing and that should keep it from fogging.

Hope this helps!

How do you use the toothpaste? Spread it on the inside, then rinse right before going in ?

The toothpaste works well for new mask. Take a small amouny of paste (not gel) and rub it gently into the inside if the lenses and rinse. I just use spit or the diluted soap most dive boats provide.

Archived