Men And Formal Wear?????

Why does anyone show such great concern over what someone else wears to dinner?

Amen. I haven't done formal nights in nine years and don't ever plan to do another one again. I also could care less what my fellow passengers wear to dinner. I respect others choice to dress in formal wear by staying out of the dining room on those nights but I don't need anyone to ask why I wear what I wear.

The last two cruises I have taken has been on Princess and Norwegian and on both I wore a Hawaiian Aloha shirt and dress slacks to all the dinners, never had a problem. I hate wearing a tie and my suit, only do so at weddings and funerals.

You are on vacation, relax and don't worry so much about what every one else is wearing, just be comfortable and enjoy. Vacation is too short to stress over this.

Vacation!

Why is it that men complain so much about having to show a little bit of class by taking of the jeans and trck suits for dinner :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Personally I could care less what someone else wears to the dinning room,as in other passengers,I wonder how people grew up with the idea that nice jeans or a good track suit could be considered formal wear???Were they raised in barns ???I have also noticed it is rarley women complaining about getting dresssed up a little all though some do.Did the men miss that class,or was it not offered to them in school??? It bothers me on a personal level that people in my life find it to be such a difficult task to dress for an occassion and am trying to understand how the other half thinks???

I think the whole point of dressing formally in formal nights is please your wife/girlfriend/women. It gives the whole being on a ship thing a bit of a magical touch.

I don't have a problem with it at all, I don't think it's uncomfortable. Maybe the people complaining about wearing suits just need to buy a size bigger :p

IMO it's sort of like opening the door for her. Sure she can open it on her own, but don't you want to make the moment special for her? come on.

I think the whole point of dressing formally in formal nights is please your wife/girlfriend/women. It gives the whole being on a ship thing a bit of a magical touch.

I don't have a problem with it at all, I don't think it's uncomfortable. Maybe the people complaining about wearing suits just need to buy a size bigger :p

IMO it's sort of like opening the door for her. Sure she can open it on her own, but don't you want to make the moment special for her? come on.

It is these things that make it all so magical,Its like eating sour grapes when your partnerhas there face twisted up like a little kid at the idea they have to dress like an adult at times that puts a damper on things and spoils the mood for someone else because they are so selfish,its nice to here couples still like to please each other,you must be young!LOL!

I love my tuxedo (Hicky Freeman). I enjoy dressing up with my wife. We spend a lot of time shopping for her gowns. Then I shop for accessories that complement her dresses. What's the problem with making your wife happy? I look much better in a tux than I do in shorts...

I love my tuxedo (Hicky Freeman). I enjoy dressing up with my wife. We spend a lot of time shopping for her gowns. Then I shop for accessories that complement her dresses. What's the problem with making your wife happy? I look much better in a tux than I do in shorts...

And thats how it should be,couples should compliment each other .it makes it tough when 1 has to dress down because the other dosnt want to dress up.If men wear a suit all year at work I could understand they would want to shed them on holiday,how ever it does kill the experience when clothing issues constantly come up,its almost enough to make a person not want to bother eating period.For me its much like you dont want to receive a gift if someone is giving it under duress and thats what it feels like when you have to listen to the moaning and growning,it just kills the mood.

DH does not like getting dressed up on vacation...period. However, he knows how much I love the way he looks in his formal wear so he appeases me...at least for dinner.

As soon as he walks past the door to the cabin, the suit and tie come off, and the board shorts and t-shirt come on............................maybe;)

I don't have a problem with anyone wears on formal night as long as you understand that you should not be eating in the dining room unless you are dressed for the occasion. If you want to wear jeans and a tank top then go to the buffet, it is the ones that don't want to dress up that still want to come to the dining room that gets me.

Carnival no longer has formal night, it is now elegant night optional I think...so that is this case, we are in a gown and tux and I am looking at the table next to me with armpit hair and bad sunburns next to us...I really hope RCCL doesn't follow in that path also. It really takes something away from formal nights when it is no optional in the dining room.

And I don't think a suit and tie are required, just simply some long pants, nice shoes and a long sleeve button up shirt...

I don't have a problem with anyone wears on formal night as long as you understand that you should not be eating in the dining room unless you are dressed for the occasion. If you want to wear jeans and a tank top then go to the buffet, it is the ones that don't want to dress up that still want to come to the dining room that gets me.

Carnival no longer has formal night, it is now elegant night optional I think...so that is this case, we are in a gown and tux and I am looking at the table next to me with armpit hair and bad sunburns next to us...I really hope RCCL doesn't follow in that path also. It really takes something away from formal nights when it is no optional in the dining room.

And I don't think a suit and tie are required, just simply some long pants, nice shoes and a long sleeve button up shirt...

Yes I agree there is nothing like a slob to ruin the mood for others.Yes by all means eat elsewear,1 ship I was on didnt let you in the dinning room if you were not dressed proplerly.

I am just happy and fortunate that my husband not only enjoys dressing up (he wears nice suits to work on a regular basis anyway) but looks marvelous when he does. Formal night for us is yet another cruising tradition that we enjoy very much. I personally wouldnt want to be the one underdressed when everyone else is clearly dressed to the nines.:)

RCCL has FORMAL nights only two times on a seven day cruise and request you to dress (FORMAL) for the dining room, If you do not want to dress for the dining room please for all of us that do, go to other dining options!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not dress like a slob on ANY night. Neither do my kids.

But I will not go through the hassle of bringing suits for me and my boys just to make others in the MDR feel better. I've worn enough suits in my lifetime that I refuse to wear one on vacation, and will not be denied the MDR just because the dress code is SUGGESTED differently.

I always attend dinner on formal night, dress cleanly and restaurant-appropriately, and likely look better-dressed than some of the god-awful excuses for suits and tuxes that are out there.

If others want to self-ruin their vacation by staring at me and wonder about the SUGGESTED attire, go right ahead. I may even offer you some of my lobster. ;)

I do not dress like a slob on ANY night. Neither do my kids.

But I will not go through the hassle of bringing suits for me and my boys just to make others in the MDR feel better. I've worn enough suits in my lifetime that I refuse to wear one on vacation, and will not be denied the MDR just because the dress code is SUGGESTED differently.

I always attend dinner on formal night, dress cleanly and restaurant-appropriately, and likely look better-dressed than some of the god-awful excuses for suits and tuxes that are out there.

If others want to self-ruin their vacation by staring at me and wonder about the SUGGESTED attire, go right ahead. I may even offer you some of my lobster. ;)

Mike, you hit it on the head with you don't dress like a slob and you dress cleanly and appropriately...like I said before, I don't think you should have to wear a suit or tux but some people would wear their bathrobes if they could get away with it. I would never comment on someone not in a suit, but I would say something about someone in boardshorts and a tank top and I have seen that on formal night trying to get into the dining room...

Why is it that men complain so much about having to show a little bit of class by taking of the jeans and trck suits for dinner :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I decided to jump in. It's really weird, I felt like I had to say something.

First, I quite agree with most of you.

Just my two cents. Could it be possible that the difference, or one of the main differences between both groups might be pride ?

Some people have a lot (or even moderately), are always well dressed, even if they are wearing jeans and a polo, but they also know where and in which circomstances they should be dressed that way. In other words, they adapt very easily to any dress code, in azny environment.

Others just don't give a flying f@rt how they are dressed, wherever they are. Neither do they care about what other people might think of there clownish appearance It's very hard to believe that these people are proud. It's simple, if they were, it would reflect in their clothing. They know when and where they should be dressed with jeans, a suit and tie, a tux or whatever clothing they choose to wear.

Isn't pride also RESPECT of a dress code, even if it's only SUGGESTED ?

Why would someone do otherwise if it isn't because he wants to tell everybody what he thinks of their foolish rules and clearly shows them he does not respect the dress code AND all these people that abide to it ?

Finalliy, it comes down to a last question:

Is it possible to be proud without having respect ?

Please excuse some of the wording and/or sentences that might appear unusual to your eyes. My first language is french. :)

I understand why people like to dress up - I really do. And I don't mind doing it. But at present moment, I do not have a suit that fits me. I wear a shirt and tie to work, that looks nice, and it should be efficient on vacation.

I understand the tradition of dressing up, but does it really affect how much of a good time you have if you see someone who isn't? You probably will pass people that just got out of the pool on the way to dinner. You will pass gaudy cruise decorations most everywhere you go on the boat. I just don't understand how you can let someone else interfere with the fun YOU are having on YOUR vacation.

I didn't pack a tie one cruise, and was forced to go to the horrific buffet for dinner. I'm sorry, but I paid the same amount as you did for your cruise - that's not fair. I did it out of respect for others because jeans and flip flops are not appropriate, but I still paid for the food. Slacks and a nice shirt is all that should be required. I will wear a shirt and tie, and try to look my best, but it's ridiculous to go spend $300 on a suit that I will wear once a year for vacation that I've already paid for.

You guys need to relax... you're on a boat in the middle of the ocean. What someone wears should only be the topic of laughter, not something that ruins your night.

All good points, when we were on Princess last year they would not let my then 13 year old twin boys in the dining room because they had shorts on.....they were below the (Dockers) knee, belts and a nice shirt tucked in. OK, my error...however....when I walked into the dining room there were women dressed in sneakers, ripped jeans and sweatshirts...that bugged me..

So as a result they changed into jeans and camo pants, because thats all we had and they let them in...:rolleyes:..IMHO...they looked 100% better with the first outfit..lol...Anyway, I must say that RCCL is much more flexible and I do make it a point to make sure they look neat, clean and as well dressed as possible. The expense of buying them two suits that they will never wear again is :eek:. Just my two cents...

I can see both sides of the formal argument. I have a few thoughts:

My biggest dislike is having to pack a tux. I'm a big guy and my tux adds a few extra pounds to my luggage that I'd rather not lug around. I think part of it is that when I'm packing light, summery clothes and then pick up a heavy, black suit, it's just glaringly out of place. I also hate the, "Oh no. Does my tux need dry cleaning?!" thought that creeps into my head the week before a cruise.

It does look nice to see everyone dressed up, though. The MDR is always a nice-looking place, and filling it with tuxedos and gowns makes it even nicer. The downside of this is that anyone not dressed up stands out. I know that my wife and I notice everyone in our area who didn't comply with the dress code. Maybe we're just nosy, but I feel bad in hindsight for gossiping about people who came to dinner with jeans on while they're relaxing on vacation.

I think I lean slightly towards disfavor for the formal nights, but primarily just because I prefer fewer compulsory things to do when I'm on vacation. I understand the muster drill being necessary and stuff like that, but I feel that every mandatory request from RCI needs to be justified and I don't know that "looking pretty" justifies adding another demand/strong suggestion to the list.

Yes I agree there is nothing like a slob to ruin the mood for others.Yes by all means eat elsewear,1 ship I was on didnt let you in the dinning room if you were not dressed proplerly.

A slob doesn't ruin the mood for others - it is the attitude of others who make an issue of it by worrying about what others are wearing that ruins the mood for themselves.

OTOH, my wife agrees with you: She believes formal night is a RULE, and that we shouldn't eat there if not dressed to the nines!

I'd be willing to bet that the ONLY reason for formal nights on RCL cruises is to be able to take pictures of people in their formal wear to sell to increase revenue.

Face it - booze, gambling and pictures are three BIG money makers for any cruise line once the passengers have paid for the cruise. If they did away with formal night, that would result in a HUGE decrease in revenue for the cruise lines.

I'd be willing to bet that the ONLY reason for formal nights on RCL cruises is to be able to take pictures of people in their formal wear to sell to increase revenue.

BINGO!

On RCCL are men oblige to wear ties? I only wear ties for weddings period!

I will be wearing a nice sport jacket, collar shirt and nice pants. We'll they keep me out of the restaurant if I don't have a tie?

BINGO!

On RCCL are men oblige to wear ties? I only wear ties for weddings period!

I will be wearing a nice sport jacket, collar shirt and nice pants. We'll they keep me out of the restaurant if I don't have a tie?

No you do not have to wear a tie. You will be fine in what you described.

Archived