Tahiti via LAX

JMB

When connecting to Air Tahiti from a US domestic carrier at LAX, does one stay within a secure area, or do you have to clear security again? Is the two hour and ten minute connecting time that Princess gave us sufficient for all the formalities?

JMB

When arriving at LAX you will have to go to the Tom Bradley International Terminal to check in for your flight on ATN. The time allowed should be sufficient, but it was a very disorganized affair last fall. So, I would not waist any time when you arrive in LAX. Some of this will depend on how many International flights are leaving close to yours. At times the International terminal is about empty while other times it can be a real zoo.

One hint though, if you are hungry and have the time, grab something before you go through security, all restuarants and take outs are located on the upper deck, as once you get through security, there is nothing much to speak of on the other side.

JMB - No, you do not stay within a secured area. If you arrive at one of the domestic terminals within LAX - you then go to the Tom Bradley International Terminal that is part of LAX. If needed - you can take the free shuttle that circulates frequently with stops/pick-ups in front of each terminal under the Blue LAX Shuttle Airline Connection signs. Go to http://www.lawa.com to see the terminal map,etc. Also - if you are flying on a carrier that has a Baggage Transfer Agreement with ATN - your airline can check your bags through to ATN if you are departing that day. However - this is not the case upon return to LAX. You must reclaim your bag(s), clear customs and then proceed to your domestic airline. Howver - in most cases there is also the option of a baggage recheck with your air carrier just after you clear customs. If your return terminal is close by - e.g - Terminal 4(A/A) or 5(Delta) - it might be faster & better just to do it yourself depending on how much luggage you have. Also - check out the 70# international baggage rule as it applies to domestic carriers. Hope this helps. SeaFish

Thank you for the information about LAX! I have wondered the same thing. I was concerned about the difference in weight allowance on the domestic leg vs the international leg of the trip. I called my connecting airline and was told that the domestic leg of the trip will allow the international weight limit to the bags IF there is an agreement between the airlines. Fortunately my beginning carrier has this arrangement. I asked for and received a letter from the customer service representative explaining this for back up when I check in. Many had spoken of speaking to several people and getting different answers so I hope that this will head off any problems.

Toto: Thanks for the heads up about grabbing a bite to eat before going into security. I have a 4 hour layover at LAX which should allow time for a bite to eat and a long wait in line for security.

Here's hoping that your next cruise is your best cruise!

Tracy

about the agreement between airlines - back when we bought our airfare from PDX to LAX, I called United to see if they had an agreement and was told no. When we got to the airport to check in I asked if we could check our bags through and was told no problem. Saved us an overweight bag charge too. My point is, check with your airline when you check in even if you don't think there is an agreement. It could save you lots of time at Tom Bradley.

Archived