Interactive Preview/Review of Emerald Princess Eastern Caribbean May 2 to 9, 2010

7x5090g

The safe comes with a spring loaded door and the spring comes loose and does not pop the door open anymore.

The Ruby had bug problems with these during the first few months after her launch.

I had to reach up near the top of the door on the hinge side and push the spring back in place.

Ah huh so that's what was wrong with it. Thank you for sharing.

This WAS the event I had been waiting for. It was unfortunate that the time we were there (11:30 to 12:00) we missed the big Air France jet from Paris.

The 2 bigger jet we saw coming in was a MD83 from Curacao:

DSC00991.jpg

And here was the Continental B737 arriving from Newark (right above me with my son looking right at it with his camera:

DSC00996.jpg

Ok, hollybelle do you remember the picture I took of you and cruisecheers as a plane was coming in? Well this was the plane that almost crashed onto the beach as it did a hop over the fence before finding the runway. Your dad got quite a jump in this video, taken by DW as I was holding your camera to take the picture of the 4 of you.

After 30 minutes of plane spotting, we got back in the van and headed over to Marigot. This was the first time for me to venture over to the French side of the island although I had been to St Maarten 2 times before. The your guide dropped us off at the market right in front of the famous pastry shop

P1050737.jpg

We bought DS a croissant and according to him it was the best croissant he ever had. The 4 seniors in my party headed off to the public restrooms while DW strolled around the open market. Nothing special to buy during the short stop. Headed back to the van for some more beer as the next stop was the longest stop of the entire tour – Orient Bay.

Now DW and I knew what we would be getting into but boy were DW’s parents in for a shock. Now I did not see it but cruisecheers saw my mother in law gasping and covering her eyes as she stepped out of the van. It would have been priceless had I been able to get a shot of that. I was almost the last one off the van as I was on last row. Someone told me that they even saw a man jogging on the beach nude – ouch that ought to hurt.:eek:

We rented a pair of loungers from the local restaurant. We paid $10 that would get us unlimited usage of the restrooms (otherwise it would be 50 cents per visit). I ordered some lunch at Pedro’s for everyone before heading down to the beach with DS. Later, DW came down to pick up the next shift looking after DS and it was my turn to eat. I took a glance at the drink menu (photo below) I was intrigued by 2 of the drinks on the menu (look at the 3rd and 2nd last drink on the menu):

P1050745.jpg

By 4PM we were dropped back at downtown Phillipsburgh. Several people took the option to walk back to the ship from town, we stayed on and the van dropped us off right at the pier. I shot a few more nice pics of the two ships in port:

P1050747.jpg

P1050713.jpg

P1050756.jpg

Here was a very interestingly designed rat shields on the mooring lines that the Emerald is using. I guess the idea is to scare away the rats who might otherwise find their way on board:

P1050757.jpg

We headed on board and DS wanted to hit the pool again. So we took my hippo mascot and we shot these pictures:

P5050747.jpg

P5050741.jpg

DSC00996.jpg

Ok, hollybelle do you remember the picture I took of you and cruisecheers as a plane was coming in? Well this was the plane that almost crashed onto the beach as it did a hop over the fence before finding the runway. Your dad got quite a jump in this video, taken by DW as I was holding your camera to take the picture of the 4 of you.

Okay, so first off... I freakin LOVE the picture of you and your son with the plane overhead. How cool is that?! It's just perfect and I think it's really neat that you can see the camera in Aaren's hands. You're starting that kid out young!

Second... that video cracks me up! Thanks again for taking the picture for us. It's probably my favorite from the whole trip! I'll definitely be posting it when I get to the report. Looks like we made more of a cameo appearance than I expected!! Woohoooo!

Oh yeah... and I totally missed the sign at Pedro's! HILARIOUS!

Just found your thread today. We were on the April 25, 2010 sailing. I don't remember who asked, but in reply about the sail away seafood buffet, the only thing I remember was lots of shrimp so we enjoyed shrimp cocktail as we sailed from FLL. I am having fun reliving our cruise thru your review.:D:D

Thank you Andy for this detailed account of your vacation...we're right here with you! This review is excellent and it is making us extremely excited about our upcoming sailing on the Emerald in 31 days! :p Great job...keep it coming!!

Quick question...did you purchase the UKP (Ultimate Kids Package)? Although we are not going with any children, my Mom doesn't drink alcohol and I thought it would be a good idea to get the UKP for unlimited mocktails, soda, milkshakes, etc. Just wondering about the price of that card as well as the coffee card. Any info?

Thanks,

Angel :)

UKP is $9 per day. We bought these on our recent Emerald cruise and thought it was totally worth it. We had a few Diet Cokes plus at least one milkshake and one smoothie or mocktail daily.

Just before dinner time at 6 we shot these 2 pictures when the sun began to set on this beautiful island as she pulled away from the dock:

P1050761.jpg

In the distant was Liberty of the Seas as they sailed ahead of us

P1050762.jpg

Oh I almost forgot this picture in Marigot (sorry I love bananas and could not resist):

P1050744.jpg

Dinner tonight was Italian. The wait staff dressed their part.

On the left assitant waiter Apirhat and on the right our waiter Wisoot

P1050772.jpg

Here I’d like to enter a little story about our waiter Wisoot. We chatted about his family and he told us about his 18 month old baby girl. He pulled out a stack of laminated pictures of his baby and his wife and I said to him, it must be tough for him to leave his precious daughter with his wife at home in Pukhet. At which time he told me, no his wife was there with him. She actually works in the Da Vinci dinning room on the same cruise. It would be his parents that are looking after his daughter. There I was, enjoying a nice vacation with my six year old son, and his daughter would be all by herself waiting for her parents to come home, but not for another 6 months. My eyes were a little wet and really appreciated how parents would do to make a living so their child will have live a better live.

Back to the menu for tonight:

P1050766.jpg

P1050763.jpg

P1050764.jpg

P1050765.jpg

I only have 1 shot of one of the dishes:

Classic Veal Scaloppine in Marsala sauce:

P1050774.jpg

And tonight, I have included the dessert menu:

P1050775.jpg

And to wrap up a nice meal we ordered a latte:

P1050778.jpg

And the specialty after dinner drink tonight (with souvenir glass) :

P1050783.jpg

P1050781.jpg

The lemon drink actually tasted like cough syrup :eek: but the glass was nice to keep.

After dinner again dropping son off at Princess Pelican and headed over to the Princess Theatre for some more of Kevin Hughes. And that was a wrap for a fun and exciting day.

And I am going to bed now. St Thomas and Grand Turk to follow

Princess Patter Day 4.pdf

Princess Pelicans Day 4.pdf

I am getting attached to my daily fix of your cruise Andy Hip. I never want it to end either :o I have to wait for CC downtime to finish, which we get at around 9am every morning here. Frustrating :mad:

I was looking forward to your St Maarten day (lol) and it looks like you weren't disappointed :eek:. That youtube clip is positively scary!! I'm surprised your DW could keep the camera still to take the video with the little plane!

Your review reminds me of all the things you can pack in over 7 days, and how many wonderful sights you can see on a cruise.

I've never noticed those rat stoppers :eek:.

Theatre looks positively claustrophobic. It didn't look quite so bad empty, which was the only time i went in.

Looking forward to more, but take your time. Is your DW enjoying reading about her cruise? :D

Okay, so first off... I freakin LOVE the picture of you and your son with the plane overhead. How cool is that?! It's just perfect and I think it's really neat that you can see the camera in Aaren's hands. You're starting that kid out young!

Second... that video cracks me up! Thanks again for taking the picture for us. It's probably my favorite from the whole trip! I'll definitely be posting it when I get to the report. Looks like we made more of a cameo appearance than I expected!! Woohoooo!

Oh yeah... and I totally missed the sign at Pedro's! HILARIOUS!

Hollybelle, would you have continued posing for the pic if you had seen what was going on behind you? :D

Bet you didn't expect to be featuring in a highly popular online cruise review :cool: Sounds like a fantastic cruise was had by all.

The safe comes with a spring loaded door and the spring comes loose and does not pop the door open anymore.

The Ruby had bug problems with these during the first few months after her launch.

I had to reach up near the top of the door on the hinge side and push the spring back in place.

Colo, you know everything :D and 'bug' made sense anyway.

Andy, Thanks so much for your time posting this info! I'm leaving in 3 days on the same cruise as you and can't wait! Have a good one.

Hey Grillfish. I am trying my best to finish this before you go. You will enjoy the Emerald I am sure. Just like I did.:)

Hollybelle, would you have continued posing for the pic if you had seen what was going on behind you? :D

Bet you didn't expect to be featuring in a highly popular online cruise review :cool: Sounds like a fantastic cruise was had by all.

Well, I knew I'd make a cameo appearance with the picture of me, taking a picture of Andy. However, I had NO clue about the video. :eek: LOVE IT!

As for the picture... we knew there was a plane coming in because Andy was kind enough to wait it out with my camera to be sure he got the plane in the picture. I'm glad to see the video though, because we only heard what happened and didn't actually see it!

Well, I knew I'd make a cameo appearance with the picture of me, taking a picture of Andy. However, I had NO clue about the video. :eek: LOVE IT!

As for the picture... we knew there was a plane coming in because Andy was kind enough to wait it out with my camera to be sure he got the plane in the picture. I'm glad to see the video though, because we only heard what happened and didn't actually see it!

It was a fluke too. The picture and the video clip - reminds me of the movie Vantage Point

And I am sure you are looking forward to your trans Atlantic. I am demanding a detailed review:D

I don't know if I can match the same quality as your thread, as I my hours are more filled with the additional little person. :p

Andy.. I enjoyed your posts so much! I love your accompanying pictures too.. especially the airplane one with your son.

How about posting about your everyday life? LOL.

LOL! I'm hoping he'll do his past cruises next and hope no one notices so we don't have to switch to different forums :D

First off I want to thank all that love my review. I need to be careful not to turn this review into a travel blog. I was actually inspired by pcrum and hollybelle (watch out for her review, she really writes) when I read their reviews from the past and I said this would be the only way to write a review as you also get the interaction. I have read reviews in the Member Review section but when you have a question about a particular item, you really can't just ask it and of course there is the everyone else who may also want answers to the same question too.

Well I got a little break for lunch and I thought I might sneak another page in so here goes...

One thing I absolutely hate on a 7 night cruise is on the 5th day. You know your vacation is winding down when there are less sleeps left on board than what you’ve had. Well last night we crossed that boundary and now there were only 3 more sleeps left before we got off this beautiful ship.

Overnight, the Emerald “crawled” from Phillipsburg to Charlotte Amalie at around 11 knots (half of her normal cruising speed). These 2 ports were only 3 to 4 hours apart had we cruised at full speed. We docked early and it was before most passengers were even out of bed. I saw the docking only from the live webcam shot that was broadcasted in our in-room flat screen TV. I was truly amazed at how someone can back in a 113,000 tonne ship 951 feet long with just a couple of joy sticks. DW has trouble backing in driving our family van…oops I’d better stop as she might read this review.

It was a beautiful morning and here at Crown Bay and there I was bright eye and bushy tail:o:

P5060759.jpg

From here on in we would be calling on ports where no other cruise ships would join us as the busy Caribbean cruising season wound down. We had a busy day as we joined the one and only shore excursion with Princess – St John Trunk Bay Snorkelling Tour

P5060758.jpg

As I knew we had to "exercise” on this tour, I decided to load up on breakfast (and look, donuts with smoke salmon. YUM)

P5060753.jpg

We had to meet on shore by 8:20AM so this morning we ditched the seniors and went straight to breakfast. We saw passengers slowly getting off the ship 10 – 15 at a time and by the time we finished breakfast (around 8), we left the ship in relative ease compared to the long line up the day before at St Maarten. We were greeted by the local residents right on the dock:

P1050788.jpg

P1050787.jpg

LOL! I'm hoping he'll do his past cruises next and hope no one notices so we don't have to switch to different forums :D

How about I do a future cruise review and see if anyone notices:D Haven't booked anything but if it was just for the fun of writing a review, I just might:rolleyes:

The Disney Dream is what I have in mind (I know hollybelle is determined to sail her next March)

How about I do a future cruise review and see if anyone notices:D Haven't booked anything but if it was just for the fun of writing a review, I just might:rolleyes:

The Disney Dream is what I have in mind (I know hollybelle is determined to sail her next March)

YES!! Good idea. You could take us through brochure perusal, cabin selection, booking process, clothes buying ........ HAHA! :D Should last ages.

It would be nice if there was a sub forum on the Princess board, for off topic but cruise related fun stuff, like the Floataway Lounge but just for Princess peeps. :)

Archived