Just back from RCL Liberty with 5 & 6 year old - Any questions

volley1974

Hi,

We have just returned from Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas with our 5 and 6 year old (Western - Costa Maya, Belize, Cozumel, Cayman - Miami).

We had an inside cabin (8371) with two pullmen bed. That worked out great for us, the kids slept on the top bunks, no problem. I was worried about the railing being too small and them falling out, but it was not a problem. They put the beds up at night so they would be out of the way. We found the room to be big enough for the 4 of us, a little tight when we'll all trying to get ready for dinner but that was it. It was also a little tight on storage room for all four of us but we managed.

The kids participated in the kids club (Adventure Ocean), my son was in the 3-5 age group (Aquanots) and my daughter in the 6-8 (Explorers). They weren't there all the time, we sent them when they wanted to go. Towards the end of our cruise, they would rather stay in the kids club at night then come with us to see a show, which was a nice break for us as well. We did eat in the dining room with the kids every night except for one where they went to Johnny Rockets with the kids club. We really liked that our waiter recommended something off the normal menu for the kids and didn't bring out the kids menu for dinner. They ate the typical kids menu stuff at lunch in the Windjammer so it was nice for them to have better food for dinner (they would make it without sauce or spicy things if needed). There is a kids menu in the dining room though if you want.

The kids had a great time in the H2O zone (kids pool area) and liked the mini golf (of course!). My daughter tried the rock climbing wall which was fun and they also both went skating on the ice rink.

We went to Paradise Beach in Cozumel which was fun for the kids because of all the inflatable toys in the water but I would say that it is a tough swim for the adults as the water is deep!

In the Cayman's, we went to the Turtle Farm which the kids really liked. They got to pick up turtles in their hands as well as snorkel in a lagoon. It's a great first time snorkel experience for younger kids who have never done it as there are no waves and tons of fish.

Anyway, we had a great vacation and we hope to do it again soon!!!!

This was my husband and I's 8th cruise but the first time we bring the kids, they had a great time. We hope to do the Oasis next.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I do have the compass for both the Liberty and the Adventure Ocean for each day but they are still in my suitcase so I will scan them and try to figure out what to do with them this week.

Thanks for this info. We took our 2 boys (ages 5 and 7) on the Independence of the Seas this past winter, and we liked it so much, we booked the Liberty for next winter in large part because the kids loved the H20 Zone and the opportunity to do things like mini golf.

I didn't realize that you could go snorkeling at the Turtle Farm in Grand Cayman. My youngest son loves turtles, but I was thinking the rest of us might prefer time at the beach or in the water. Sounds like we might be able to do both here. Did you go on your own or through the cruise line for this?

Thanks!

To answer both questions:

First - we did the Turtle Farm on our own. We actually booked online with Turtle Farm directly so got a 20% discount and they arranged transportation from pier free. At the farm, you can pay a reduced price just to see the turtles or a higher price for the whole park. The larger park has a salt water lagoon where you can snorkel and a fresh water lagoon where you can swim so that might be good for everyone in your family. The bigger entry fee also lets you see the shark tank and a small bird exhibit. The salt water lagood is a little slimmy but they had showers so it was all ok. The fresh water lagoon was really nice and not busy at all. If you miss the transfer included, you can take the city bus (which we did) for $2.50 a person.

Second - Royal's kid program ends at 10:15 (free) and then from 10:15pm to 2am, it was $6/hour per child. You don't have to tell them ahead of time, they'll just charge you if you don't show up at 10:15pm. I think they charge every half an hour. You can also get in room babysitting but I'm not sure how much that is.

On Sea days, the Kids program was open 9-12, 2-5, 7-10 (free) and then 10-2am for a fee. You could send them for lunch and dinner on sea days but there would be a fee.

On port days, the program is open from 30 minutes before the first excursion until 10pm (free) and then again from 10pm-2am for a fee. They will feed them lunch, dinner and 2 snacks for free on port days.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for posting! We are going on our first family cruise this summer, the Explorer for 5 nights and have a cabin for 4. Im not worried about my 6 year old but think my 4 YO will sleep on a lower bed. Just good to hear that the space is manageable:)

A question about the pool in AO, can you go there with your child at any time? Also, do the other activities (pools, mini golf, sports areas) close? My DH and I sailed on the Carnival Destiny a long while back and I remember things got shut down. It would be nice to get out of the cabin at odd times if needed and not have any restrictions.

One last thing, is there space for suitcases under the bed? Don't know if I should bring my medium suitcase or all softsided luggage for us.

You are so lucky to go to Grand Cayman! We were on Liberty's sister, Freedom, in Feb on a Western Caribbean itinerary. Seas were too rough to tender into Grand Cayman...:(

Like yours, our kids really liked Paradise Beach! And hubby and I enjoyed the very attentive waiters who kept bringing us drinks and food right to our lounge chairs!!! :D

PS Blue Sharpie - plenty of room under the bed(s) for luggage storage!!!

As mentioned by VillaHappy, there is plenty of room under bed for suitcases. We had 5 suitcases under the bed, no problem.

The H20 Zone (kids pool) is not in Adventure Ocean, it's at the back of the ship on the main pool deck. It was usually open all day until about 8pm. If your kids are in the kids club, they don't take them to the pool, they pretty much stay inside (sometimes went out to mini golf or play basketball but that was very few times). I think the mini golf was open 24 hours since the putters and balls are just outside. As for the rock climbing wall, it had specific hours you could climb. I'm not sure about the basketball court as we didn't really use it. I believe the main pool was open pretty much all the time. To give you an idea, the sports deck has the adults only pool (solarium) at the front, then the 2 sports pools in the middle and then the H2O zone at the back.

If I didn't answer your question, let me know.

I also have the compassess for each day for the Adventure Ocean. I will try to scan tomorrow at work.

Hi,

We have just returned from Royal Caribbean's Liberty of the Seas with our 5 and 6 year old (Western - Costa Maya, Belize, Cozumel, Cayman - Miami).

We had an inside cabin (8371) with two pullmen bed. That worked out great for us, the kids slept on the top bunks, no problem. I was worried about the railing being too small and them falling out, but it was not a problem. They put the beds up at night so they would be out of the way. We found the room to be big enough for the 4 of us, a little tight when we'll all trying to get ready for dinner but that was it. It was also a little tight on storage room for all four of us but we managed.

The kids participated in the kids club (Adventure Ocean), my son was in the 3-5 age group (Aquanots) and my daughter in the 6-8 (Explorers). They weren't there all the time, we sent them when they wanted to go. Towards the end of our cruise, they would rather stay in the kids club at night then come with us to see a show, which was a nice break for us as well. We did eat in the dining room with the kids every night except for one where they went to Johnny Rockets with the kids club. We really liked that our waiter recommended something off the normal menu for the kids and didn't bring out the kids menu for dinner. They ate the typical kids menu stuff at lunch in the Windjammer so it was nice for them to have better food for dinner (they would make it without sauce or spicy things if needed). There is a kids menu in the dining room though if you want.

The kids had a great time in the H2O zone (kids pool area) and liked the mini golf (of course!). My daughter tried the rock climbing wall which was fun and they also both went skating on the ice rink.

We went to Paradise Beach in Cozumel which was fun for the kids because of all the inflatable toys in the water but I would say that it is a tough swim for the adults as the water is deep!

In the Cayman's, we went to the Turtle Farm which the kids really liked. They got to pick up turtles in their hands as well as snorkel in a lagoon. It's a great first time snorkel experience for younger kids who have never done it as there are no waves and tons of fish.

Anyway, we had a great vacation and we hope to do it again soon!!!!

This was my husband and I's 8th cruise but the first time we bring the kids, they had a great time. We hope to do the Oasis next.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I do have the compass for both the Liberty and the Adventure Ocean for each day but they are still in my suitcase so I will scan them and try to figure out what to do with them this week.

Hi volley1974,

was wondering if you could send me the compass for western caribb on liberty as well as you indicated having one for each day of adventure ocean?

• 2 weeks later...

Let me bring the compasses to work tomorrow and I'll scan them and then either post or email them. There isn't much in the Adventure Ocean compasses, more just general themes of the day.

As for other excursions, I don't really know. A lot of the excursions were for older kids (8 and up). We only went to Paradise Beach in Cozumel which was great. In Costa Maya, we just got off the ship and the kids swam in the pool at the end of the pier. In Belize, we did nothing, we stayed on the ship. So, sorry no help on that. It was nice to do some of the ship activities while everyone else was in port!

I have the scanned copy of the Adventure Ocean Compasses for Liberty of the Seas Western Caribbean but I can't post it as it's 4mb. I can provide if you want to send me your email address as it's too big to post.

I have the scanned copy of the Adventure Ocean Compasses for Liberty of the Seas Western Caribbean but I can't post it as it's 4mb. I can provide if you want to send me your email address as it's too big to post.

If you email it to me, I can change the files and post it here to your review thread for you, then add it to the Family Board collection. My email addy is

crusinmama06@comcast.net

Thanks! :D

I was definitely leaning towards and Eastern Caribbean but have been considering the Carnival Valor and Legend route that goes to Belize, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Isla Roatan.

The snorkeling with turtles sounds more our speed than with sting rays. The cave tubing in Belize and the zip line in Isla Roatan would be of interest to DD. DS will be 9 when we go, but he has a big fear of heights and water over his neck. He like wave pools with a shallow end and kiddy water park areas.

Got them and got them uploaded. THANKS! ; - )

I am so surprised that RCI changed the 30 minute intervals of activities. Nothing is scheduled now. Wonder why? Did they cancel alot of activities? Or did they all seem to go as planned?

This is so different from any other schedule I have seen over the years. Thanks for sending them in! I'll post them all here for everyone else to see....

AOSafetyandProgramRules.jpg

Liberty-FamilyFun.jpg

LibertyAges3-11AtAGlance.jpg

LibertyAges3-5Page1.jpg

Liberty6-11WelcomeAboard.jpg

Thanks for posting for me. I believe they did most of the activities that were listed.

My kids wanted to do fruit loop necklaces and they did do them during that slot of time. The one thing that was different was that the movie night for the littles ones listed Cars as the movie but they ended up watching Barnyard.

They did the Circus show and the Pirate Parade as listed.

Lynn

What is gagaball?

CruisinMama: Our son will be 6...but we'll be on the Radiance (Alaska). I didn't see any schedules for the Radiance, but I read some of the others. Are they pretty much the same no matter what ship it is?

Archived