1st Cruise on Ventura

barneymag

Actually 1st time cruising on any ship so been reading lots of threads over the last week. So hello to all :)

Decided eventually on P & O and Ventura - mainly due to it being represented as a family friendly ship and we need to cruise during traditional school holidays (we are taking our two teen boys 17 + 14 ...... don't worry they are very well behaved !!) but also wanted to enjoy the traditions of a company such as P & O along wth formal evenings and silver service dining ..... so hope i've chosen the right balance with Ventura and would love feedback on our choice.

There a few things I'd like to ask opinions on, firstly we have chosen freedom dining, primarily because we are 1st time cruisers we thought this would give us more flexibility as no idea how shore excursions, theatre nights and other entertainment will effect our eating patterns. I do want to partake in the main restaurants and all the the formal nights (don't see the point of going on P & O if we only did buffets). Can anyone confirm that "freedom" dining in Cinnamon has all the same food, service and ambiance/surroundings as "club" in Saffron/Bay Tree ? Also is the breakfast served in these restaurants freshly prepared and waiter service instead of using the buffet restaurants ? and anyone know if they serve smoked haddock for breakfast ? .... my favourite !!

Also would like our boys to embrace the whole formal dining experience by wearing DJs etc but could anyone confirm that they won't be the only under 18s doing this ??

Appreciate all feedback

The food, service and ambience in freedom dining is the same as the club dining venues. The only difference is if you are put on a large table you may have to wait until the table is filled, but sometimes you may get 6 on an 8 etc etc.

One bonus with freedom is you never feel you are being rushed to finish your meal as they don't have to turn the table over the service period. We were eating at about 7.30 and not leaving until well after 10.

Breakfast isn't served in Cinnamon, but it is full waiter service where it is served - simply turn up and be waited on.

We enjoyed freedom dinning on the Ventura in February, and have opted for it again in June, apart from eating when you want to, you can choose your table size and meet many more people if you wish, the food and service is the same as fixed dinning. The resturant is open for breakfast and smoked haddock (with poached egg) is available. We found the formal nights observed by all, I am sure you have made the right choice and will really enjoy your cruise.

We're on a week long cruise on the Ventura in June. The brochure states that on a two week cruise there are ten smart casual nights and four formal nights. Am I right in thinking that these numbers are straight-fowardly halved for a week long cruise?

Sue, P&O state that children under the age of 18 do not have to wear formal clothes on formal and semi formal evenings. They are requested to wear at least smart casual dress, no denim. I just want to clarify this for anyone reading who is travelling with children as on my first cruise I was really worried about this and it wasn't an issue at all.

Joanne

We enjoyed freedom dinning on the Ventura in February, and have opted for it again in June, apart from eating when you want to, you can choose your table size and meet many more people if you wish, the food and service is the same as fixed dinning. The resturant is open for breakfast and smoked haddock (with poached egg) is available. We found the formal nights observed by all, I am sure you have made the right choice and will really enjoy your cruise.

Thanks fo all the replies so far ...... good news on the Smoked Haddock and eggs for breakfast, DW hates me cooking it at home and complains that she can smell the smoked fish all day :D

Great forum, very friendly and very informative.

Sue, P&O state that children under the age of 18 do not have to wear formal clothes on formal and semi formal evenings. They are requested to wear at least smart casual dress, no denim. I just want to clarify this for anyone reading who is travelling with children as on my first cruise I was really worried about this and it wasn't an issue at all.

Joanne

Hi Joanne

I had also read that in the latest brochure, however as my eldest is 17 I would really like him to dress up on the formal nights and our 14 year old will usually follow BB - my concern was that others of their age wouldn't get into the spirit of the formal evenings and make the lads feel like they stood out.

Sorry to jump in on your thread, but I've just booked a weekender cruise on Ventura & have also requested freedom dining, so great to read the replies. Is a table for 2 a reasonable request & might this involve a long wait??

I have just returned from a 14 day western Med cruise on Ventura on Saturday and we loved it , like you it was also our first cruise and we also chose to go freedom dining and i am convinced it was the right choice , it gives you the opportunity to dine whenever it suits you and also the chance to meet a varied range of other passengers . The main entertainment on Ventura is mainly based in the Arena theatre and the Havanna bar and there are three showings at 7pm ,9pm and 11pm so you can fit in your meal around these times , the food is the same as in the club dining restaurants and it is great quality as is the service and when i return to Ventura i will be doing freedom dining again. Breakfast is served in the restaurants but the buffet breakfasts are also very good . 4 formal nights on a two week cruise and most people do take part in it , DJ is popular but also many suits and ties , teenagers do dress up so your kids will have no worries on that score , enjoy your cruise , Ventura is a great ship despite some negative comments on here but you can`t please all of the people all of the time .

I have just returned from a 14 day western Med cruise on Ventura on Saturday and we loved it , like you it was also our first cruise and we also chose to go freedom dining and i am convinced it was the right choice , it gives you the opportunity to dine whenever it suits you and also the chance to meet a varied range of other passengers . The main entertainment on Ventura is mainly based in the Arena theatre and the Havanna bar and there are three showings at 7pm ,9pm and 11pm so you can fit in your meal around these times , the food is the same as in the club dining restaurants and it is great quality as is the service and when i return to Ventura i will be doing freedom dining again. Breakfast is served in the restaurants but the buffet breakfasts are also very good . 4 formal nights on a two week cruise and most people do take part in it , DJ is popular but also many suits and ties , teenagers do dress up so your kids will have no worries on that score , enjoy your cruise , Ventura is a great ship despite some negative comments on here but you can`t please all of the people all of the time .

Thanks Tightwad, Yours and others answers reasure me that we have made the right choice - I hadn't realised that there would be three showings of entertainment each night !!! was that in the Arena Theatre and the Havana Bar ? That really helps in giving us flexibility in deciding which way we would like to arrange an evening, (not that I expect we will get many early nights) and also allows us to move venues and catch a couple of shows in an evening if we wish. How often do the shows repeat within the two week cruise ? or is each night a different show ?

Really looking forward to our cruise on Ventura ..... unfortunately still 4 months to wait !

Jimmy. A one week cruise has two formal nights.

There are tables for two in freedom dining. You can wait, or get on good terms with the Maitre'd and he may reserve one for you. The tables for two are very close together, so don't expect to be alone!

Each evening you will find the ship's newspaper for the following day in the letter rack outside your cabin. In the newspaper is all the information you need about the activities, shows, restaurant and bar opening times etc etc for the following day. Read this carefully before you go to bed and you will know what is on where and when the next day. I would even go so far as to say take a highlighter pen, especially with four of you!! There is absolutely loads to choose from and this way you can hopefully not miss anything you really want to see or do.

Your boys will certainly not be alone in formal dress, and given your hopes and expectations I would say you have chosen exactly the right ship.

Enjoy your cruise!

Carol x

I do think that the freedom dining is becoming more and more popular, and gives you that level of flexibility. Remember last year when coming out of Oslo, we were having dinner when passing through the archipelago then, and unfortunately by the time we finished, we missed them.

As for children wearing DJs, wife and I have been cruising with two boys since 2006 (not counting MV Bolero in 1999!), and they are relaxed and happy about wearing shirt and ties.

It reached a point last year where they wanted to wear a DJ and bow tie. Now we're due to go on Ventura again in June, got to get some new ones as they've grown!!

But, all in all, I would say if the kids are comfortable wearing a suit, then fine, in my experience, it's greatly appreciated by fellow passengers.

Scrozuk

We've just returned from Ventura on Saturday too, and we loved it. Not our first cruise, but certainly the best yet (especially with children).

Freedom dining works just fine, but for a table for 2 we usually went down at 7.15pm is and had to wait up to 30-40 mins for a table. This suited us fine as we went down to get a buzzer and then went off for pre-dinner drinks. The busy time might change each cruises but you will start to get an ideas on peak times and when best to go. Early dining was full on our cruise so lots of people had opted for freedom dining early, and the manager advised that tables started to empty about 8pm ish. Also don't worry about requesting a particular table if you like it - we did and the restaurant manager did his best to accommodate. We like table 34 for 2 people. Fairly private compared to some of the tables for 2, and a good service team.

Hi we are going in june on no14 ,i would like to know if you can just have a main and dessert as my o/h is so fussy does not like soup etc only eats things without sauces .Ihave tried to rectify over the years but only managed to get him to eat peas with his dinner ,i on the other hand like pretty much everything or i will try it ,.It is really stessing me out as i would love to make the most of being waited on and experiance the whole thing . Please help:rolleyes:val/steve

Novice - you can have whatever you like - the staff really do appreciate that you are the customer and are excellent in accommodating requests.

Despite the choice of dishes for each course, on some occasions I don't have a course as there is nothing I really like.

If you want you can eat in the main restaurant then go to the self service!

Actually 1st time cruising on any ship so been reading lots of threads over the last week. So hello to all :)

Decided eventually on P & O and Ventura - mainly due to it being represented as a family friendly ship and we need to cruise during traditional school holidays (we are taking our two teen boys 17 + 14 ...... don't worry they are very well behaved !!) but also wanted to enjoy the traditions of a company such as P & O along wth formal evenings and silver service dining ..... so hope i've chosen the right balance with Ventura and would love feedback on our choice.

There a few things I'd like to ask opinions on, firstly we have chosen freedom dining, primarily because we are 1st time cruisers we thought this would give us more flexibility as no idea how shore excursions, theatre nights and other entertainment will effect our eating patterns. I do want to partake in the main restaurants and all the the formal nights (don't see the point of going on P & O if we only did buffets). Can anyone confirm that "freedom" dining in Cinnamon has all the same food, service and ambiance/surroundings as "club" in Saffron/Bay Tree ? Also is the breakfast served in these restaurants freshly prepared and waiter service instead of using the buffet restaurants ? and anyone know if they serve smoked haddock for breakfast ? .... my favourite !!

Also would like our boys to embrace the whole formal dining experience by wearing DJs etc but could anyone confirm that they won't be the only under 18s doing this ??

Appreciate all feedback

Hi Barney,

We just got back at the weekend from the Ventura and not only did the vast majority of passangers observe the formal dress code but i also saw several young boys and teenagers in DJ's. I have to say that I almost appreciate it more when I see young children or teenagers who have made the effort to dress up than when the adults do, although if they would feel really uncomfortable in DJ's then then a smart shirt and tie is also acceptable and was probably more of the norm for under 18's.

Have a wonderful cruise. Ventura is lovely. We didn't have children with us but they seemed to be very well catered for.

cheers

Curly

Hi we are going in June on no14 ,i would like to know if you can just have a main and dessert as my o/h is so fussy does not like soup etc only eats things without sauces .Ihave tried to rectify over the years but only managed to get him to eat peas with his dinner ,i on the other hand like pretty much everything or i will try it ,.It is really stessing me out as i would love to make the most of being waited on and experiance the whole thing . Please help:rolleyes:val/steve

Val

Don't get stressed out, I am the most plain eater you can come across and I enjoyed the food on Ventura, incidentally we also had Freedom dining loved it.

Re Steve, I did not like most of the starters, so they did me Melon instead, they will fall over backward to find something you like.

If he does not like sauces, ask them to leave the sauces off, and they will bring them separately in a sauce boat.

On the menu every night are the following standard options, normally at the bottom of the menu, Steak, which is cooked how you like it, with chips if you want or any other type of veg. Roast Chicken also or Salmon. Just tell them what you like, if you are in Club Dining, you will have the same waiters each night, let them know and they as I say fall over backwards to help.;):)

If the options I mentioned are not on the menu just ask. The Menu is posted outside the dining room each day, so you can see whats on it.

Archived