Curbside Porter Safe?

fateNdestinee

:confused: Hi,

Is the curbside porter safe to use? Do we have to use these curbside porters since they are not part of Carnival?

Read this on their website:

"Alternatively, curbside porters are available at the pier to take luggage to the vessel for delivery to your stateroom by shipboard personnel. Customary tip is $1 per bag. Please be sure each piece of luggage is unlocked and has a tag listing your name and stateroom number. Curbside porters are not employees of Carnival; therefore, if you experience any problems, please report them to porter management on site."

We've used the curbside porters over and over again, and NEVER had a problem. Just be sure to tip them as recommended, and be pleasant, and you won't have a problem. Make sure your luggage tags are on the bags, and are the CORRECT ones for this cruise, not last years cruise. :eek: Reaffirm with the porter that the bags will be going to the correct ship. (In Miami for instance, there are several ships all lined up in a row, so make sure you're giving your bags to the correct porter!)

"SKY"

We've used the curbside porters over and over again, and NEVER had a problem. Just be sure to tip them as recommended, and be pleasant, and you won't have a problem. Make sure your luggage tags are on the bags, and are the CORRECT ones for this cruise, not last years cruise. :eek: Reaffirm with the porter that the bags will be going to the correct ship. (In Miami for instance, there are several ships all lined up in a row, so make sure you're giving your bags to the correct porter!)

"SKY"

Follow Sky's advice, tip well and be pleasant. You don't have any alternative, unless all your luggage is 16" x 24" x any length (so as to fit thru ship/port scanners) and you want to carry it all thru the check-in and around the ship until your cabin is ready. ken

I guess you could lug all your luggage around until your room opens up, that's the only other way.:D

That is IF all your bags will fit through the scanner in security!!!!

If not then you have NO choice.

We have never had a problem. I feel safe with them as they do not take them very far and then load them in the bins for the forklifts to place on the ship. That area is very busy and I dont think there is much of a chance they would be able to open and go through your bags with out someone saying something.

Forgot about the scanners, I was just trying to say that there really isn't a choice though. Never had a problem, always tipped and been pleasant (for the 5 seconds you see them). Remeber - carry all your meds, electronics (camera), change of clothes (JIC), and anything you must have. Never had anything missing, but have read of some stories.

Is the curbside porter safe to use? Do we have to use these curbside porters since they are not part of Carnival?

"Alternatively, curbside porters are available at the pier to take luggage to the vessel for delivery to your stateroom by shipboard personnel. Customary tip is $1 per bag. Please be sure each piece of luggage is unlocked and has a tag listing your name and stateroom number. Curbside porters are not employees of Carnival; therefore, if you experience any problems, please report them to porter management on site."

How else would you get the luggage loaded on the ship?

:confused:

Yes. While they are employees of the local port authority, they are entirely safe to use. They *should* have all been background checked by HSA, and are well paid enough that they aren't particularly interested in rifling through your bag to steal your stuff. Tip them well, make sure your tags are correct and you won't have a problem. *ALWAYS* catch the porter's badge number, just in case there is some sort of problem later.

Just carry any valuable items in your carry-on. The porters at the dock, just like airport porters, depend on their tips. They hustle to get the luggage onto the trolley as quick as possible so they an get back to help the next passenger. I just can't imagine them having the time nor wanting to risk their job to riffle through someones luggage. Once the trollies are full the luggage goes through X-ray and onto the ship. I just can't picture them taking the suitcases around the corner and sifting through them.

We have a friend who's roomate is a porter at Tampa airport and has said that these jobs are VERY hard to come by as the tips are VERY good. I just don't see risking this to shuffle through a suitcase. IMHO.

So, please don't worry, take your valuables in your carry-on and go and have a great time. :)

Yeah... they're safe. Traditionally, they're tipped a buck or two per bag.

I got to visit the Conquest this past Sunday to see a few friends who are currently on board. While going through screening the folks in front of us had brought their full size suit cases with them and got turned back. They were told to return to curbside and hand over the bags to the porters. In light of that I'm guessin' that we don't have much say in the matter!

:)

I've never had a bag go missing. I've had a few temporarily displaced on the ship but they've always been found.

On a cruise a couple of years ago on Glory out of Port Canaveral, both of our pieces of luggage arrived safely. The only thing that didn't make it was a case of water - who knows why. I was told to report it to the Purser's office - which I did - in case it was misplaced. Anyway, never found the water but we did get a nice letter the next day including 4 drink coupons! I thought that was very generous of Carnival - and well worth more than the $3.99 for the water!

Should be no problem - never has been for us and I've not heard of anyone having issues. Just make sure you dont forget to tip. I usually give them $10 for the 3 of us.

Yeah... they're safe. Traditionally, they're tipped a buck or two per bag.

I got to visit the Conquest this past Sunday to see a few friends who are currently on board. While going through screening the folks in front of us had brought their full size suit cases with them and got turned back. They were told to return to curbside and hand over the bags to the porters. In light of that I'm guessin' that we don't have much say in the matter!

I've never had a bag go missing. I've had a few temporarily displaced on the ship but they've always been found.

Oddly enough.... when we sailed out of Pier 29 on the Splendor ... there were no porters. Since it was only a 2 day cruise, they figured no one would have luggage ...so no need.

Well, what they did not know was that 124 were doing the 2 and 4 day (B2B...plus we had an 8 day that left on the Freedom the day after we got off the B2B...so I had a boat load of luggage with me.

Since there were no porters...they were putting all the luggage through the "normal security scanner" and we learned just how large a piece of luggage will fit.

All of ours went through (even the 29") .... folks who had luggage that would not to through had to have it hand searched.

What an interesting embarktion that was!!!

I've only cruised out of New Orleans but have never had a problem with any of my luggage. Nothing has ever turned up missing nor has anything been lost.

Love my guys in New Orleans.....next time you are there...tell Dominic and Dayton HI !!!

Oddly enough.... when we sailed out of Pier 29 on the Splendor ... there were no porters. Since it was only a 2 day cruise, they figured no one would have luggage ...so no need.

Well, what they did not know was that 124 were doing the 2 and 4 day (B2B...plus we had an 8 day that left on the Freedom the day after we got off the B2B...so I had a boat load of luggage with me.

Since there were no porters...they were putting all the luggage through the "normal security scanner" and we learned just how large a piece of luggage will fit.

All of ours went through (even the 29") .... folks who had luggage that would not to through had to have it hand searched.

What an interesting embarktion that was!!!

Yep... I remember that well. Lots of unhappy folks 'cause they had to tote their bags all over the ship 'til the cabins were available.

To tell you the truth, I was surprised when those folks boarding the Conquest got turned back to the porters...

:rolleyes:

We pop the trunk, smile and thank them while handing them a $20 and go on our way. Never a problem. I carry anything important in my carry on. If someone wants to steal my panties I guess they need them more than I do :D

Haha ..LOL...funny comment about the panties!:D

That's good that seems like everyone had a good experience with them! Thanks for easing my concerns.:o

Okay, I'll take my valuables with me on the carry-on. Is there a limit to the carry-on?

The only time it is a problem, is if you have a problem, which you

won't know until you get your luggage..if you get it.

Carnival will say the problem happened before it was in their custody.

Port will say they turned it over to Carnival not their problem.

Carnival could also say they delivered it to your cabin and someone

else is responsible. I would feel I was S-O-L. if I had a luggage problem.

They will all be busy playing the blame game.:rolleyes:

Yes you Must use the curbside porters unless you wish to drag ALL your bags with you and ALL of your bags will fit through an airport scanner. If it doesn't fit, you must acquit, err check in with the porters.

We pop the trunk, smile and thank them while handing them a $20 and go on our way. Never a problem. I carry anything important in my carry on. If someone wants to steal my panties I guess they need them more than I do :D

might be careful with that statement . there was a kid in the town I live in that was breaking into house and stealing womans undies . when the cops searched his house they found 3 or 4 plastic bags full of them lol

Just carry any valuable items in your carry-on. The porters at the dock, just like airport porters, depend on their tips. They hustle to get the luggage onto the trolley as quick as possible so they an get back to help the next passenger. I just can't imagine them having the time nor wanting to risk their job to riffle through someones luggage. Once the trollies are full the luggage goes through X-ray and onto the ship. I just can't picture them taking the suitcases around the corner and sifting through them.

We have a friend who's roomate is a porter at Tampa airport and has said that these jobs are VERY hard to come by as the tips are VERY good. I just don't see risking this to shuffle through a suitcase. IMHO.

So, please don't worry, take your valuables in your carry-on and go and have a great time. :)

What do they depend on the tips for?

That's what people say about the staff that works on the ship but they do depend on the tips as that's almost all the pay they get.

I'm sure the porters at the dock make a very good wage even without those tips.

Bill

LOL on the panty thieves, whatever floats your boat I guess.

Porters are union I think so I bet they make a very nice wage but they work hard for it IMO

The only restriction on your carry on is size. It has to fit through the machine, the size restrictions are on the carnival site, can't remember them off hand. Even though bigger bags can go through they can turn you back for having larger ones. Dh and I each carry one on.

Archived