Transportation to Sorrento from Rome Cruise Poet

jonib

We are ending our cruise in Rome and are traveling to Sorrento for a 4 nt stay. Is there a direct bus or train route to Sorrento or do you have to take the train into Rome Termini. I am looking for the easiest and quickest route.

There is no direct train route, and I seriously doubt there's any bus option that wouldn't include at least one change.

By train, there is at least one change. Most options require two changes. You must change in Naples to the Circumvesuviana line as the state railroad does not go to Sorrento.

There are two IC trains each day, at 9:17 and 5:22, that go from Civitavecchia to Naples without a change of trains. They stop in Termini, but you don't need to get off. It takes three hours and twenty minutes on these trains to get to Naples, then another 45 minutes or so on the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento.

The rest of the trains, including the faster ones, require a change at Termini. The routing for these would be Civitavecchia to Termini on one train, then Termini to Napoli Centrale on another train, followed by the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento.

There is no direct train route, and I seriously doubt there's any bus option that wouldn't include at least one change.

By train, there is at least one change. Most options require two changes. You must change in Naples to the Circumvesuviana line as the state railroad does not go to Sorrento.

There are two IC trains each day, at 9:17 and 5:22, that go from Civitavecchia to Naples without a change of trains. They stop in Termini, but you don't need to get off. It takes three hours and twenty minutes on these trains to get to Naples, then another 45 minutes or so on the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento.

The rest of the trains, including the faster ones, require a change at Termini. The routing for these would be Civitavecchia to Termini on one train, then Termini to Napoli Centrale on another train, followed by the Circumvesuviana to Sorrento.

Thank you for the info. What does IC stand for? Would it be quicker/easier to travel from Civitavecchia to Naples or to go to Termini to take the faster train.

IC is an Intercity train.

The fastest train connections (Mon - Sat) are at 10:41 AM and 2:41 PM. This is a combination of a regional train (Civitavecchia - Roma Termini) and a high speed Frecciarossa (Roma Termini - Napoli Centrale). This trip takes two and a half hours and costs 64 Euro in first class, or 45,50 in second class.

Personally, the fifty minutes saved on this routing, vs. the IC train, isn't worth it. The hassle of getting off the train at Termini and hiking into the station (the regional trains often come in at the remote tracks, a couple of blocks away from the main part of the station), then hauling my luggage onto another train, is a deal breaker for me. I'd rather settle in once and be done with it.

Not to mention the cost savings; the IC through-train is 33 Euro in first class and 24,50 in second. I picked up this train a couple of months ago at the stop after Civitavecchia and it was easy, and fast enough. I did spring for first class, which I would not do on the high speed trains; however, on the IC it's not that much more money and the (slight, admittedly) extra space was nice to have.

IC is an Intercity train.

The fastest train connections (Mon - Sat) are at 10:41 AM and 2:41 PM. This is a combination of a regional train (Civitavecchia - Roma Termini) and a high speed Frecciarossa (Roma Termini - Napoli Centrale). This trip takes two and a half hours and costs 64 Euro in first class, or 45,50 in second class.

Personally, the fifty minutes saved on this routing, vs. the IC train, isn't worth it. The hassle of getting off the train at Termini and hiking into the station (the regional trains often come in at the remote tracks, a couple of blocks away from the main part of the station), then hauling my luggage onto another train, is a deal breaker for me. I'd rather settle in once and be done with it.

Not to mention the cost savings; the IC through-train is 33 Euro in first class and 24,50 in second. I picked up this train a couple of months ago at the stop after Civitavecchia and it was easy, and fast enough. I did spring for first class, which I would not do on the high speed trains; however, on the IC it's not that much more money and the (slight, admittedly) extra space was nice to have.

That is exactly what I was thinking. My only concern would be the time of disembarkation. Thank you so much for your help.

Bear in mind that the fastest connections through Termini allow only 15 minutes connect time. As mentioned, it is often quite a hike from the Regional trains to the main line ones, so 15 minutes schlepping luggage does not sound like a fun experience. Almost all of the trains Rome -> Naples are ES (fast, extra cost) which require reservations, so missing a train adds hassle to life.

Archived