Bermuda Day

CoolTripletMom

We are cruising to Bermuda 5/22-5/27, docking in King's Wharf. Our first day on the island is May 24th, which I now understand is Bermuda Day. Can someone tell me what BErmuda day is and how that will affect our trip? Will buses be running? Ferries? Are all Bermudans off from work so beaches will be crowded? Snorkel Park? What about the zoo and aquairum? Will that be crowded?

Any special events near happening on Bermuda day that would be a fun experience for tourists (espeically ones with 3 year old triplets!:)).

I just want to be prepared as to what our first day on the island could be like if it's a national holiday. We might wait to visit beaches on our 2nd day there, the 25th. We leave the night of the 25th. Thanks for any heads up you can share!

Description of Bermuda Day from http://www.experiencebermuda.com/events/#10may

Bermuda Day

May 24, 2010

Celebrate Bermuda Day with special not-to-be-missed events: The annual Heritage Day Parade - The Queen's Birthday Parade, Dinghy races (when Bermuda Fitted Dinghy Racing begins its annual season) and the Marathon Derby (a half marathon of 13 miles raced from Somerset to Hamilton). The Heritage Day Parade usually begins about 2 pm at Bernard's Park in Pembroke Parish. Parade participants include marching bands, dancers, Bermuda Gombeys, Bermuda Islanders pipe and drum band. Local restaurant stands offer tasty selections of Bermudian dishes.

Bermuda Day Sinclair Packwood Memorial Road Race

May 24, 2010; Somerset

An invitational cycle race from Somerset to Hamilton. This is part of the popular Bermuda Day Races. Consult local newspapers for the complete route and good spectator vantage points.

Bermuda Day Half-Marathon and Junior Classic

May 24, 2010; 9:30 a.m.

The Annual Half-Marathon and Junior Classic are for Bermuda residents only. The starting point is Cambridge Road in Somerset and the finish line is at Bernard Park in Pembroke. Spectators are welcome. Consult local newspapers for the complete route and good vantage points for viewing.

Buses & ferries run on reduced schedules; with a cruise ship(s) at the Dockyard, all businesses should be open there; since Snorkel Park is more for the tourist than the local, I would not expect it to be crowded except with tourists; there may be transportation problems getting to BAMZ.

SBtS

Cooltripletmom asked: ...The Heritage Parade: if we wanted to go, where would you recommend on the parade route we stop by?...

Since the 2010 parade route has not been published yet, anyway I could not find it, I used the 2009 parade route, published 5/5/09, as my source. I would say you should view the parade from anywhere on Front St. After you leave the ferry terminal in Hamilton, Front St is the first street you come to.

Additional Dockyard to Hamilton ferries may be running with a cruise ship at the Dockyard in order to get the paxs to the parade.

As for the location of food stands, maybe a local can answer that.

SBtS

Archived