Livorno Port to Train

Bandgk

I love finding all this great info on CC threads for questions I have about different ports. It seems, however, that too much information can be a bad thing because I'm finding a lot of conflicting information about Livorno.

For instance, cruise lines operate shuttles that charge between 4-8 euros pp to the downtown area but supposedly will not stop at the terminal building. Some say that the port has free shuttles between the ship and the terminal building, but others say these shuttles seldom if ever are operating. If true, it seems a passenger at the terminal would have to go downtown to get a shuttle to a remote berth, and I doubt that's the case.

Some say there are restrictions to walking about inside the port while others say they've never been restricted. One poster had a map showing several different docking places for cruise ships which I suppose may explain the conflicting info re: pedestrian movement.

I've seen a wide range of rates posted for taxi rides to the train station. Anywhere from 5 euros pp to 20+ euros per ride.

I found a city bus map showing Bus #1 going past the port and downtown on its way to the train station. The map also listed Bus A and Bus B that appear to be dedicated to going between the port and station, but I haven't read any mention of these on CC.

Unfortunately after all this reading I have more questions than when I started. If anyone can help with the following, I would much appreciate it:

What is the rate for a taxi to the station, and is pick-up at the ship or the terminal building? If taxis are only available at the terminal, is there any way to get from the ship to the terminal (and back) when the port shuttles are not running, or do some ship's shuttles stop at the terminal (specifically Princess)? Are taxis readily available at the station in the afternoon to get back to the ship? Is there a source to find out which dock my ship will be berthed (Crown Princess on 9 June)?

We're trying to decide whether to do a ship's DIY tour of Florence ($69pp) or just take the train. From what I've learned here so far, moving between the ship and the train station MAY or MAY NOT be a real hassle.

Taxis are available at the ship. It is approximately 20 euro for the trip to the train station. We fit 7 ppl in the minivan type taxi and split it.

There are taxis lined up at the station waiting to take you back. It was a crazy scene. Lots of yelling. Yelling at a driver in english that you got a lower price before does not help. He may understand you but chose not to if it's gotten to that point. It helps to know a little italian and be polite and settle on the price before departure.

I took the train. I learned the hard way and took a bus that took forever to get to the train station. Take a taxi from the ship to the train station and get on the first train you can. There is never enough time in Florence.l I have a hard time paying the $69 for a bus ride to Florence when the train costs about half the price.

I have a hard time paying the $69 for a bus ride to Florence when the train costs about half the price.

Agreed. But the bus is a 1-step process and in Livorno you can lose up to a half-hour or more each way just getting to and from the train, depending on timing. I estimate for 2 of us a savings of $45-60 total depending on ticket class and taxi cost. For me it will come down to the hassle factor. Knowing that taxis are available at the ship helps, though. Thanks for the info.

But the bus is a 1-step process and in Livorno you can lose up to a half-hour or more each way just getting to and from the train, depending on timing.

That is true, but our ship's buses to Florence didn't even leave until an hour after we were boarding the train in Livorno. (We took a taxi to the train station.) So we still came out ahead on time by taking the train.

And yes, the train is cheaper, although that wasn't our main motivation. You mention ticket class... I'm not even sure there were first class seats available, but I would recommend the cheapest class. It was just fine. The taxi will cost 20 euros, but we had no trouble finding another couple to split it.

Archived