Los Angeles departures

the_great_one

We are looking for a cruise for 2 adults and our 3 young kids (3 y.o.,5 y.o.,8 y.o.) for next Summer 2011 departing from and returning to Los Angeles for 7 nights and traveling within the U.S. Is there such an animal? I checked Disney but I don't think they'll be back here for summer trips until 2012 at the earliest. Does anyone know of any family-friendly L.A. departures and is any cruise line really Disney's equal in terms of kids clubs and family entertainment? We sailed Disney before and it was great but pricey; have not taken any other cruises with the kids yet. Thank you!!!

I'm a bit confused when you say "travel within the US". You won't find any of the cruise lines that leave from any of the US ports hitting ports only within the US. There are regulations that require they hit at least 1 foreign port.

As of January, 2011, Mariner will be leaving California. There will be no Royal ships cruising out of California after that date, other than Radiance doing an Alaska itinerary.

ETA: The Disney Wonder will be doing the Mexican Riviera but it appears only through April 2011, then back again in September.

We are looking for a cruise for 2 adults and our 3 young kids (3 y.o.,5 y.o.,8 y.o.) for next Summer 2011 departing from and returning to Los Angeles for 7 nights and traveling within the U.S. Is there such an animal? I checked Disney but I don't think they'll be back here for summer trips until 2012 at the earliest. Does anyone know of any family-friendly L.A. departures and is any cruise line really Disney's equal in terms of kids clubs and family entertainment? We sailed Disney before and it was great but pricey; have not taken any other cruises with the kids yet. Thank you!!!

That may be your only choice, and I would definitely not compare it to a Disney cruise. All the other ships/cruise lines go to Alaska (or other itineraries) during the summer. Carnival Splendor does the Mexican Riviera, departing from Long Beach and returning to Long Beach. It could be a fun cruise!

Carnival, NCL and Princess all cater to kids. Not Disney-cater, but not Disney prices either. My twins and I have done the Mexican Riviera six times because it's so easy from Los Angeles - 5 on Princess and 1 on Carnival - but the Mexican Riviera is HOT after March, so I don't know who's still going there during the summer. I would say that Carnival is more geared to kids, but my girls have just as much fun on Princess, and mommy prefers Princess, so that's who wins. We just did an NCL, and I'd say they're also great with kids, but not my cup of tea meal-wise - though some people absolutely love the casual flow of an NCL cruise.

And just let me whine that I can't believe that now that my girls are both potty trained and we can FINALLY start booking RCCL - they're leaving the Mexican Riviera :(

Just like funinla wrote, the Carnival Splendor might be your only choice. One benefit is that Carnival doesn't require your child to be potty trained AND they will change any diapers for you (you just need to provide them). :)

Archived