Fees for Jalousie Beach?

Gthenewsgirl

Hey GTHENEWSGIRL , Have only been to Jalousie Beach with tours from the water taxi . It is my understanding that all beaches in St Lucia are free but you

must pay to use beach equipment such as chairs etc . I was also told , but don't know for sure that at Jalousie Beach the resort there , Jalousie Plantation Resort controls all road access to their beach between the Pitons . It's a gorgeous place and well worth the trek . Jalousie Plantation Resort has a nice website you could contact . That's all I have . Take Care ! Ted

They are now charging for a day pass. It is $50pp. That gets you a $25 food credit and use of facilities typical of all day passes. (Non-motorized, etc.)

:eek: Thanks Ted (and Toon!) Holy cr*p. That makes me not want to go there :-( Is the 100/couple REALLY worth it? The additional cost would make this the MOST expensive tour by far!

:eek: Thanks Ted (and Toon!) Holy cr*p. That makes me not want to go there :-( Is the 100/couple REALLY worth it? The additional cost would make this the MOST expensive tour by far!

We visited during a Cosol tour via water taxi. He said the chair rental was $20 per hour. We didn't rent any chairs, just used our towels. There was no cost to use the beach this way {via water taxi}. Honestly though, this was our least favorite beach out of our entire cruise. IMO it's not as nice as the beaches on other islands. It's a volcanic island so the beach is very rocky.

We visited during a Cosol tour via water taxi. He said the chair rental was $20 per hour. We didn't rent any chairs, just used our towels. There was no cost to use the beach this way {via water taxi}. Honestly though, this was our least favorite beach out of our entire cruise. IMO it's not as nice as the beaches on other islands. It's a volcanic island so the beach is very rocky.

Thank you Belle! We will be in the water the whole time, probably, so will not require the use of the chairs. I'm going to contact my private tour operator and just double check that to get onto the beach, there aren't any extra fees. And, I will remember to take my cheesy water shoes. They aren't pretty, but at least my feet will be protected ;)

Thanks!

I agree...and I think we were on Cosol's tour with you. :)

The resort has taken over the beach and they make you stay on this postage sized stamp area of the beach. Don't even try to stand under a palm tree on "their" side. :rolleyes: Also, I didn't think the beach was all that nice either. Plus there was lots of sea grass type things floating in the water...that were still falling out of my hair when I took a shower that night. :eek:

I agree...and I think we were on Cosol's tour with you. :)

The resort has taken over the beach and they make you stay on this postage sized stamp area of the beach. Don't even try to stand under a palm tree on "their" side. :rolleyes: Also, I didn't think the beach was all that nice either. Plus there was lots of sea grass type things floating in the water...that were still falling out of my hair when I took a shower that night. :eek:

Oh no! When did the resort start making non-guests stay in a certain area? I loved Jalousie last year, but mostly just due to how pretty it is in between the Pitons. But if the resort is now restricting non-guests like this, I do not think I want to return!!! We are leaving in about 2 weeks for our cruise. If you could let me know more info about this, I would appreciate it very much because I may change my plans if this is the case. What a shame!

Thanks so much.

Oh no! When did the resort start making non-guests stay in a certain area? I loved Jalousie last year, but mostly just due to how pretty it is in between the Pitons. But if the resort is now restricting non-guests like this, I do not think I want to return!!! We are leaving in about 2 weeks for our cruise. If you could let me know more info about this, I would appreciate it very much because I may change my plans if this is the case. What a shame!

Thanks so much.

Don't quote me on this but I think I had either read or heard that this is a somewhat recent occurance. And I am not even kidding about the palm tree. We were standing there to figure out where we wanted to set up and security came right over.

I can understand not using their chairs and stuff but the palm tree? Seriously? :rolleyes:

Don't quote me on this but I think I had either read or heard that this is a somewhat recent occurance. And I am not even kidding about the palm tree. We were standing there to figure out where we wanted to set up and security came right over.

I can understand not using their chairs and stuff but the palm tree? Seriously? :rolleyes:

Oh this is a disappointment, but I am glad you posted your experience. Last year, the only thing that happened to us is that someone came over and told us that there were to be no towels in front of the beach type restaurant, but that we could put our towels down anywhere else. But, this situation really makes me think I should find an alternative. I know that the hotel is not happy that visitors can go there for the day, but since all the beaches in St. Lucia are free, I cannot believe they can specify where you can or cannot sit on your beach towel. That is annoying!

Thanks for the information. I guess I will talk to our tour guide and get a suggestion for an alternate beach.

• 3 weeks later...

We were just at Jalousie Beach during our March 2010 cruise. This was our 4th visit and we didn't have any difficulty with security or beach access. The only recent change is that the resort has stopped allowing taxi's to drive through the resort to drop their passengers at the beach. Most tour operators have arranged for water taxi transportation from Soufrière over to the beach. I did not mind that little extra at all...it was so beautiful to be approaching the Pitons from the water!!

We mostly snorkelled over by Petit Piton but others went over to the beach and put down their towels. Nobody seemed to have a problem with it. All beaches in St. Lucia are free and public so I would think that as long as you stay on public property, the resort can't make you leave!! Seaweed has never been an issue when we were there although I know that if a storm has been through or a North swell, it could happen periodically.

This is a beautiful spot and always a highlight of our trip. I would definitely make a stop here, if you can :)

We were just at Jalousie Beach during our March 2010 cruise. This was our 4th visit and we didn't have any difficulty with security or beach access. The only recent change is that the resort has stopped allowing taxi's to drive through the resort to drop their passengers at the beach. Most tour operators have arranged for water taxi transportation from Soufrière over to the beach. I did not mind that little extra at all...it was so beautiful to be approaching the Pitons from the water!!

We mostly snorkelled over by Petit Piton but others went over to the beach and put down their towels. Nobody seemed to have a problem with it. All beaches in St. Lucia are free and public so I would think that as long as you stay on public property, the resort can't make you leave!! Seaweed has never been an issue when we were there although I know that if a storm has been through or a North swell, it could happen periodically.

This is a beautiful spot and always a highlight of our trip. I would definitely make a stop here, if you can :)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Glad to hear about your experience. We love Jalousie as well and I was really worried that we might have a bad experience this year. I talked to our tour guide (Frank) and he told me not to worry, so we are going there next week and will hope for the best. It is such a pretty place and I really did not want to skip it.

They are now charging for a day pass. It is $50pp. That gets you a $25 food credit and use of facilities typical of all day passes. (Non-motorized, etc.)

FYI

We were there two years ago. A hamburger platter was $15 to $20. Chair rentals were expensive, so we just sat on our towels. Good choice, since it started to rain, and we left earlier than planned.

Archived