First time cruise and with kids, what to pack?

cruiseone10

I've been reading these boards for a short while and there are lots of general threads in the first time section if you haven't checked there yet.

One thing that comes to mind that I haven't seen mentioned is to bring a sweater! My first cruise I expected it to be hot and tropical but found the air conditioning to be freezing:)

I will be packing some light weight pajamas for my kids and one or two shirts that are long sleeved even though we are sailing (EOS) at the end of July to Bermuda which should be hot and humid!

When we booked, our travel agent requested a table for 4 in the dining room. Our kids are squirmy and I'm hoping our dinners will run shorter if our waiter can rush us through without a big group to accomodate.

I'll am looking forward to reading replies to this thread:)

For the 13 mo...bring EVERYTHING you'll need...wipes, diapers, etc....the ship carries littl, if any, and what they may have will cost 3X's normal prices!

Make sure you bring any "comfort" items they like....blankets, stuffed toys, etc....just to make them "feel at home"!

• 2 weeks later...

They will have a pack n play for the baby and you can put your 4 year old on the couch if that's what your room has. When I went on the Liberty of the Seas last year I had a 12 month old and a four year old. I needed tylenol one day and didn't have it and couldn't find it. Bring it!! Bring a small first aid kit. Bring multiple swim suits, a little beach sweater to put over it and water shoes. Don't go on the top deck. Way, way too scary because the railings are easy for a kid to slip through. I stayed on the pool deck. There are big glass windows and no risk of falling over board. Bring a twelve pack of water. small stroller, two outfits per day. three to five nice outfits for dinner and one or two really nice outfits for captains night and formal night. sippy cups, bibs, diapers, wipes, backpack for excursions. They have high chairs. that's all I can think of right now. enjoy, you and the kids will have a blast.

pharmali - what ship were you on that railings were far enough apart that a child could slip through????

Bring your patience and a sense of humour!

The others are correct in bringing light sweaters. In the evenings we usually put our LO in a sweater or even a hoodie. Bring Tylenol, bandaids, Polysporin etc. I usually pack a large Ziplock bag with all the kiddie medicine. Bring a few sun hats, bug spray, sunscreen, wipes, diapers etc. I wouldn't worry about baby food as the kitchen's will be able to puree up anything requested. Bring the diaper garbage bags so that when you have a dirty one, your room steward won't have to touch it and it will keep your cabin smelling fresh! You can buy these at Wal-mart

You may want to bring a portable DVD player for your 4 year old to bring to dinner. That helped us tremendously with our 2 year old!

Have a wonderful cruise!:D

I bring pre-packaged snacks for ports and our own water bottles that I fill with ship tap water to take ashore. Zip locs come in handy over and over.

I love my pop-up hamper that folds flat - we use it as a toy box on all our trips. It's great to have a place to just toss everything kid related so the cabin isn't such an obstacle course.

Best,

Mia

I bring pre-packaged snacks for ports and our own water bottles that I fill with ship tap water to take ashore. Zip locs come in handy over and over.

I love my pop-up hamper that folds flat - we use it as a toy box on all our trips. It's great to have a place to just toss everything kid related so the cabin isn't such an obstacle course.

Best' date='

Mia[/quote']

Those pop-up hampers are great for many things; toys, laundry, extra blankets/pillows... Also bring a inexpensive over the door shoe type storage bag to put small items in; tylenol, baby wipes, diapers, creams, baby bath, shampoo, etc...:)

Our first trip with my now-5-year-old I realized that I needed extra clothes for myself. She was 16 months old. Inevitably I would get her meal on me, or a smear of something. I had not factored THAT into MY packing. I brought extra outfits for her to get messy, but I ended up doing laundry for me.

Archived