Self Disembarkation / Space Shuttle Viewing Advice Wanted

Hello, I'm new on the forum here but have cruised on RC twice before. Looking for some advice regarding self disembarkation on the Grandeur of the Seas.

We are sailing in mid Sept form FLL. We arrive back in port on 9/16 the day of the last space shuttle launch. I know that FLL to Cocoa Beach area is a 3 - 3 1/2 hr drive minimum and the launch is set for around noon. We have vehicle transportation arranged courtesy of some friends and FL residents. What is the earliest I could possibly expect to be able to disembark? Any tips or suggestions on what I can do to make it quicker/easier? Anyone else have any experience with this or any other recommendations.

Anyone ever been to shuttle launch and can offer suggestions for viewing from land and not with KSC tours/tickets? All help appreciated.

Thanks

... Anyone ever been to shuttle launch and can offer suggestions for viewing from land and not with KSC tours/tickets? ...

KSC is located within Patrick AFB, which is an open base. I haven't been in a while, but the enlisted personnel beach used to be a favorite spot. This would get you closer than Jetty Park at Port Canaveral, which is usually recommended.

But any public beach or beachfront park will do. Check with Brevard County tourism promotion.

Take a radio to keep track of what's up. Expect traffic jams heading home. I've heard the astronauts broadcasting from over West Africa before I've made it to the Eau Gallie causeway.

Brighthouse Networks, the local cable television provider, puts the NASA feed on a public access channel 24/7.

You can actually get from Port Everglades to Port Canaveral in 2.5 hrs, if you drive like I do and keep stops to a minimum.

Exit Port Everglades and take SR84/I-595 to the Florida Turnpike, take that to Ft Pierce and switch over to I-95 (they cross each other there).

I-95 was built with this stupid westward hook in it and then it turns back east, just a big useless time killer of about 15 minutes. Look on a map and you'll see what I am talking about, from just north of Palm Beach to Ft Pierce

Take I-95 to SR528 and go to Port Canaveral, just like if going on a ship, there's some nice viewing areas along the causeway there, or you can go into Jetty Park in Port Canaveral, but it will likely be crowded.

KSC is located within Patrick AFB, which is an open base. I haven't been in a while, but the enlisted personnel beach used to be a favorite spot. This would get you closer than Jetty Park at Port Canaveral, which is usually recommended.

Sorry, wrong info above. Patrick AFB is 25 or more miles South of Kennedy Space Center. The best Shuttle viewing is from areas along the Indian River by US 1 in Port Saint John (just South of Titusville) from where you can see the launch pad. Alternatively, the beach at Patrick AFB on SR A1A is open to the public and would be closer time wise. Coming up I-95, get off at the N. Wickam Rd exit and follow the signs to PAFB. Upon reaching the A1A go left and look for any available parking where you can get access to the beach. Walking on the dunes to reach the beach is prohibited and USAF Security Forces will be present to control this.

But any public beach or beachfront park will do. Check with Brevard County tourism promotion.

Take a radio to keep track of what's up. Expect traffic jams heading home. I've heard the astronauts broadcasting from over West Africa before I've made it to the Eau Gallie causeway.

Brighthouse Networks, the local cable television provider, puts the NASA feed on a public access channel 24/7.

KSC is located on N Merritt Island, Patrick AFB is sought of Cocoa Beach and North of Satelitte Beach, a distance from KSC.

Probably the best viewing area would be along the SR528 causeways, just before the Banana River and Port Canaveral. Take I95N to SR528E, as you cross Merritt Island look North and you will see the VAB, Big Building with the American flag painted on the wall, if you can see the VAB you will have a good view of the launch

Correct.

I live on Merritt Island

Just go SR528 East towards the port and find a spot along the water near the port. Usually, just before the port on the north side you will see a motorhome with the word REACT, that is the local radio club and they play a live feed of launch control so you know what's up as it goes along

Wow, These are all some real awesome suggestions. Do you think it is realistic to disembark in FLL and be able to make it up north and find a spot for a noon launch. I know this is the last (supposed) shuttle launch so I'm kind of expecting it to be crazier than usual.

Do I need to do anything special to take advantage of the self-disembark?

Pack light

Honestly, you'll be pushing it close.

Guessing you get off and in a car at 9am, driving by 9am, and everything goes your way and you drive fast and stop little, you can do it.

But I am not going to lie, I am a native from the Miami/FLL area and live up near KSC on Merritt Island, and I am not sure I would try that if I had to depend on it.

Secondly, it would really suck for you to go through all that to have it scrubbed that day for high winds aloft, lightning within 20 miles, or any other possible reason.

On a normal day you could make it but on the last shuttle launch day I just have to say good luck. Traffic is going to be insane. My friend wants to bring his son down from the FL panhandle to watch the launch so I’ll possibly be out in that massive traffic jam with you. Unless I can use my badge and get him on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station :)

All great advice above & some I will use.

We booked a trip to FL in Sept for the final shuttle launch but my husband told me yesterday they had added another launch in mid November to the schedule. He's excited about that in case this one gets cancelled & not re-scheduled in the 5 days we are there then he can go back in November.

I guess I stand corrected. Actually with Sept not being the last launch this might play into my favor. I appreciate all the good tips. Will be doing Disney for a couple days after so if it doesn't launch on the scheduled date I guess we'll be SOL. Anyways maybe can see it from Orlando.

Normally I've went with the flow and disembarked with my color group. If we carry our own stuff can we just walk off once the ship clears customs or do I need to get on a list or special tags and such

Well first thing is you need to sign up for the "Express Walkoff" from the ship which will put you in the first group to leave the ship. You'll have to carry your own luggage rather than put it outside your door the night before the cruise is over. The cruise line will ask about your departure plans probably the second day of your cruise.

I went to a shuttle launch back in 1999, drove down from Md and stayed in Titusville, Fl which is right off I-95 and in that town you can get a great view of the launch across the lake in town. People were parked everywhere and you may have to pay for parking. The view from there was great but it was so far away that we did not hear any of the roar of the shuttle engines. There may be better spots but that one was fine for me.

Well first thing is you need to sign up for the "Express Walkoff" from the ship which will put you in the first group to leave the ship. You'll have to carry your own luggage rather than put it outside your door the night before the cruise is over. The cruise line will ask about your departure plans probably the second day of your cruise.

I went to a shuttle launch back in 1999, drove down from Md and stayed in Titusville, Fl which is right off I-95 and in that town you can get a great view of the launch across the lake in town. People were parked everywhere and you may have to pay for parking. The view from there was great but it was so far away that we did not hear any of the roar of the shuttle engines. There may be better spots but that one was fine for me.

That's strange you did not hear the engines, we live 20 miles south of the launch site and always hear the engines, granted we do not hear them until SRB seperation, due to the slow speed of sound, but we do hear them

you will be able to see the launch from Orlando...not a lot of detail of the shuttle, but if you look east, you will see the red glow from the engines, and the vapor trail.

I grew up about 30 miles NW of Orlando..and we always watched the launches from our house (or at school..).

It's a completely different experience if you go to the Cape to watch it. The sound alone is unbelievable. And honestly..if you miss it, try to visit Kennedy anyway. They have a simulation of a shuttle launch. While it sure isn't the real thing, it is pretty close!

When we went to the Cape, we parked along the Banana River. Good luck!

Archived