NCL CAncelled St Lucia Cruises Over Concern for Passenger Safety!!!

LaShelle2

I would also be interested in the tour operator you are using.

Hi BroncoFan,

We've only stayed in St.Lucia at a few different resorts including the Jalousie Plantation. We used independent land and or the water taxi guides that are available at the resorts for transfers or touring on our own, for us no need for the organized tour.

Though... trying to keep up or make sense of all the different tour operators and costs for the ' organized tours' especially those that may be taking cruise passengers to the Jalousie Plantation beach.

I often recommend St.Lucia and the Jalousie to family and friends, knowing the various organized tour options and prices is quite helpful... reading here on cruise critic, looks as though the tour prices fluctuate greatly.

I have skimmed the boards and have failed to see where any other islands have the same problem as this. Gun point robberies only months apart on a small island in the caribbean, this is not the same as traveling to Miami or any other big city in the states and trying to compare them, it's just not reality and please don't kid yourself in thinking that it is.

Gunpoint robberies happen all the time in big cities, on a daily basis. I live in Cincinnati, which is one of the safer big cities in my opinion, and there is daily violence.

Population of St. Lucia: 170,000

Population of Cincinnati: 360,000

Just look at the news:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100518/NEWS010701/305180020/1167/NEWS/Gilyard+robbed+at+gunpoint

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100516/NEWS010701/305140003/Man-shot-to-death-in-Club-Ritz

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100514/NEWS010701/305140004/1163/NEWS0107/Man+robs+Anderson+Township+bank

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100511/NEWS010703/305110012/1164/NEWS0107/Police+seek+clues+in+double+stabbing

That's 4 stories of violent crimes in the past 4 days. And this is Cincinnati, not nearly as crime-ridden as Miami (source: http://www.morganquitno.com/cit05pop.htm)

I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing, I think it's ignorant at best, and reckless at worst, to spread around information that St. Lucia is a dangerous place to visit based on a few robberies. People get robbed-at gunpoint-every day in cities all across the United States. That's not a reason to avoid these places, it's a reason to be a smart traveler.

I too have visited many islands in the Caribbean, and did not feel unsafe or threatened at all in St. Lucia. In fact, the most unsafe I felt was in Jamaica. I sure wouldn't miss out on an opportunity to visit that island again though, and I wouldn't recommend anyone else doing so either. Crime can happen anywhere.

That's the last I'll say on the matter, I just don't want others to miss out on the beauty of St. Lucia (or any other island) because posters on here are kidding themselves about the relative risk of danger in the Caribbean. You do what you want, but to some research before trying to deter others away with your posts.

Oh wow! What a scary experience. If I keep hearing stories like this, I may just convince DH to remain on the ship, or maybe do a little shopping in the main shopping area (where I have seen lots of security). This is horrible publicity for the island. If they don't get this under control, they will loose so many tourist dollars!

BroncosFan2010 - we have been on 10 cruises and stopped in St. Lucia 4 times. It is one of our favorite islands but I do believe that it is best to go with a tour where you will see the best the island has to offer. I would not spend a lot of time in Castries. We have toured with Herod the past 3 visits to St. Lucia. You need to get down to the south end of the island in order to get the full appreciation for the natural wonders of St. Lucia. Herod usually charges $50pp and it is the best value for the money!! We always pay him more because he makes it such a great experience. He keeps on eye on vendors and runs interference for you. He takes care of buying all of the entrance passes and gives you the most time to enjoy where you are. The tour takes you to the botanical gardens, warm waterfall and 'fountain of youth' hot mineral pool (my favorite), the drive-in volcano and to the beach between the world-famous Pitons. It is an all-day tour and he always gets us back to the ship with time to spare for a little shopping at the tourist shops at the pier. This year, my parents went on their first cruise with us and my father said that for all that I had bragged up how fantastic Herod was, he was even better than that!! :)

I really encourage you to take a tour and really enjoy your time on St. Lucia!

Archived