To kindle or not to kindle...

I've heard a lot of good things about kindles, but I'm old school and don't like reading from a computer screen. I've heard kindles feel more like books than a computer monitor, but I'm still skeptical. I love the idea of downloading books instead of carrying a bunch when I go on vacation though. Any other book lovers out there who had doubts and are now sold on kindles?

I'm a huge reader about 2-3 books per week. My house is full to the brim with books. My husband bought me a kindle as a christmas gift and i would not even open it. After much descussion i did and it has been the greatest gift i never knew i needed or wanted. It is amazing and i'm not accumulating all the books and it is super easy to read and you really forget your reading a screen. Go for it you will be amazed!!!

I am a librarian, and I swore up and down that I would NEVER get a Kindle. After spending a month in Costa Rica with only 3 books (that was all I could carry with me), I knew I had to at least give the Kindle a try on my next vacation so I wouldn't have to be stuck reading the same books over and over again!

I LOVE it!!! It makes it so much easier to have a ton of books right at your fingertips and it fits right in my purse! I always tell people that the screen is kind of like the Etch-a-Sketch screen... the ink moves around the device, so it is not like a computer monitor (thus it does not hurt your eyes). Because there is no backlight, you will need a clip light if you plan on reading when it is dark.

If you travel a lot or just ride the train into work everyday, the Kindle will be one of your best friends. As a plus, the books are pretty cheap and they always have free books available.

LOVE my Kindle! I waited about 6 months while I researched it. Finally broke down and bought it. Just back from a 7 night cruise and it was great having it and not lots of books. At the airport on the return I went brousing in a book store and found a couple of new books I'd really like to read. I was able to download them immediately on my Kindle for $9.99 each.....and not pay the $24 plus in the bookstore! And I really like the instant dictionary on it, too.

I've been thinking about it mainly because I'm finding it hard to read small print paperbacks and I know you can change the font size on a Kindle. Right now I'm debating between the Sony e reader or kindle.

I bought my wife a kindle about 2 years ago. She uses it daily and has taken it on a few cruises, as well. She LOVES it. And, I don't have huge piles of paperbacks to haul off. So, I love it too.

It also has it's own e-mail address, so you can send .pdf files to it. Magazine and newspaper subscriptions are also available. What is not to love?

If You do get a Kindle, don't do it strictly on the basis of saving money on books. I was checking out David Baldacci's newest novel on amazon and his books are usually rated 4 to 5 stars. This one was rated 1.5 stars. I read through the 50+ reviews and 90% of them were negative on the sole basis that the kindle version should cost $9.99 and they were now charging $14.99 for the kindle version (same price as the hardcover).

I am not saying getting a Kindle is a bad product. For those who read a lot, have limited space, or are concerned about environmental issues (saving paper), I would imagine that it is extremely convenient and a wise choice.

I LOVE my Kindle!! I've had it for about a year and a half and I carry it everywhere! I have it in a case that opens like a book so I don't even miss the physical feel of paper books.

With all the options I would price out the books that you would read and see which will be the best one for you. I wouldn't trade my Kindle for a free version of any of the others but you have to be sure you get the one that's right for you.

Good Luck and happy reading!

Michelle

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Kindle. Best Christmas gift I have ever received. Super light, fits in a purse, dowload books almost instantly. I love that I can finish a book and get a new one right away. Don't have to wait to go to a store or haul the extra book around.

I am not sure if you would be charged for roaming on a cruise ship or not. Kindle uses cell frequencies, not Internet. But you can turn the wireless off on your Kindle (which I do all the time anyway to save battery). I don't see how you could be charged roaming since you don't have a billable account like a cell phone does, but I am certainly NOT an expert on that. Anyone know for sure?

So, if I take my Kindle, I am not going to get charged cruise ship prices for iternet usage. Is that correct?

I will download books to take before the cruise.

Has anyone used it in the Mexican Riviera?

As others have noted, the Kindle uses a particular cellular service provider for both internet and downloading. I'm not sure how Amazon would charge for the roaming interconnection since we don't get a cellular bill for connecting in the US. My guess, it just won't find a connection or available service.

We were book hounds. Last time we moved we had to get rid of +1000 hardbacks. The local library asked me to quit bringing them in for their book sales.

We do the Kindle now. Our local county library branch loans out Kindles now.

Another question since I've just gotten my Kindle. When you "download" a book, does it actually go to you kindle, or is it in an account somewhere and you're actually reading from Amazon?

I guess another way of asking is "Is the 3G for simply downloading, or is it used to read the book?"

While on the cruise I'm not interested in checking emails or reading newspapers, just books, and I don't want to pay ship charges for internet.

I have the Sony EReader (the PS300 - basic model) and I love it. I don't actually buy books, I just get them free from the library. Not sure about the Kindle but the Sony EReader reads EPUB files which is what most libraries have. Even better than buying books. You just borrow them from the library and they automatically return after 3 weeks.

Very easy to read, it is very light to hold up with one hand and there is no glare. Not like reading an LCD screen (computer).

I have had my Kindle for almost 2 years and 5 cruises and I love it.

I am currently reading a hard back book of 650 pages and I am suffering as it is so heavy, which was never a problem pre-kindle.

Also I really miss the dictionary feature! I love being able to look up unknow words as I read, without chasing down a dictionary.

I used it on the Mariner in Mexico this Feb, kept the wireless off-no problems. Its great on the plane too!

Everything bought from Amazon has a free 30 day trial period, so you can see if you like it and if not send it back. I'm betting you'll keep it!! Enjoy your cruise!

I've heard a lot of good things about kindles, but I'm old school and don't like reading from a computer screen. I've heard kindles feel more like books than a computer monitor, but I'm still skeptical. I love the idea of downloading books instead of carrying a bunch when I go on vacation though. Any other book lovers out there who had doubts and are now sold on kindles?

I got a Kindle for hubby for xmas, he says its the best present that I have ever gotten for him in the almost 34 years we have been married. He travels all over the world and he loves to relax on a plane reading . He did the books with papers but his kindle is used quite often as it will be on sunday when he is back in mexico again (for work). He will bring it on our cruise July 17 on the dream, its amazing to me how fresh and clear the screen is to read even on a day with the sun and no clouds at all! Take the step to a new generation :)

Archived