Changing diapers

tinaka

In the final packing stage for our cruise on FOS in 8 days. Trying to prepare for the sea days and was wondering if there is any place to change DS's (1) diaper, other than in our cabin. This will determine whether I pack a small diaper bag to be carried around the ship. If I need to go back to the cabin every time, I can skip the small bag and just stick with the backpack that I plan on using in ports.

There are restrooms on every floor. I do not remember if they have changing stations BUT if they dont you feel free changing bb's diaper on the sink!

You'll manage, I did.

Happy sailing

:)

:eek:Are you serious?

If there is no changing station please don't change your baby on the counter near the sinks.:eek:

You don't know what is on that counter and I certainly don't want to come in there after someone changes their baby and put my hands on that counter top.

Bad enough people don't know enough to wash their hands after using the toilets but it never occurred to me that anyone would actually use that counter to change a dirty diaper.

:eek:Are you serious?

If there is no changing station please don't change your baby on the counter near the sinks.:eek:

You don't know what is on that counter and I certainly don't want to come in there after someone changes their baby and put my hands on that counter top.

Bad enough people don't know enough to wash their hands after using the toilets but it never occurred to me that anyone would actually use that counter to change a dirty diaper.

Don't worry, I have no intention of changing his diaper on the counter by the sinks. Besides the sanitary issues, it's not very safe. I was really looking for confirmation of changing stations, but if there is a bench in there, I might be able to wipe it down and use a large changing pad (and yes, I would be considerate enough to wipe it down after as well).

bring the changing pad, there are many bench seats, especially near windows where a considerate person can change a baby and clean up after themselves. I wouldn't mind seeing a mother do that at all. There are, of course, many chaise lounges on sun decks also. I don't remember there being changing spots in the rest rooms, most of them are very small.

Do bring diapers though...I am sure that diapers on board are rather expensive.

Beverly

Don't worry, I have no intention of changing his diaper on the counter by the sinks. Besides the sanitary issues, it's not very safe. I was really looking for confirmation of changing stations, but if there is a bench in there, I might be able to wipe it down and use a large changing pad (and yes, I would be considerate enough to wipe it down after as well).

Thank you!!!

But now that I know that is a possibility I'll be more careful in the public bathrooms.

It never occurred to me that was a possibility...now I know.:)

I don't recall seeing any of the pull-down baby changing stations in any public bathroom on any ship I've ever been on. Those public bathrooms just aren't that big. Newest ship was the RCI Jewel, though, so not sure about newer ships on any line. The newer ships might have them. Worst I saw was a lady changing her baby on the deck pool chair down a few down from mine and then had one of her older kids "throw" it in the pool deck trash dumpster, but he missed. It landed in a corner and he left it there! This was on the Caribbean Princess in 2005. I - being myself - loaded up with tissues, waited until they went somewhere (leaving their belongings on the chair), picked up the tossed diaper in the corner, and placed it right back onto the towel on their pool chair. Received a small - but noticeable - round of applause for my efforts. Everyone watches.

I always changed DD in the room. It was just easier. She was 2 years old and squirmy. There really isn't a good place to change a child. If you are way in the bottom of the ship you could always use the changing station in the kids center if they would let you. :)

Bring a changing pad and find a spot. There is no changing tables that we have seen. I will not go down to the room to change if I am too far from the room. My little guy hates being in a dirty diaper. He will scre bloodyurder if it is too wet or right after he poops. Happy sailing

Bring a changing pad and find a spot. There is no changing tables that we have seen. I will not go down to the room to change if I am too far from the room. My little guy hates being in a dirty diaper. He will scre bloodyurder if it is too wet or right after he poops. Happy sailing

I think it's the "find a spot" issue that's questionable.

I don't understand why you would not return to your room to change your childs diaper. I would never change my child on the side of a sink (gross), on a chaise lounge by the pool (grosser), or on a bench (just plain disguisting). And I am not just talking wet diapers... :eek:ewe! The crew works very hard to keep the ship clean and as free as possible for disease outbreaks, all it take is one person... Why not do the right thing, and take your child to your room were you will both be more comfortable and complete the task at hand. And please be sure to wrap the diaper in itself or put it into a diaper disposal bag (100 bags for $1 at dollar stores). :o

I just returned from a cruise on the Freedom and I can tell you that there is ONE and only one changing table and that is in the restroom on the 11th floor pool deck/outside Windjammer. DH and I basically changed her in a corner on our laps. And we did bring and use the diaper disposal bags another poster suggested for dirty diapers.

We mentioned the lack of changing tables to the manager of Adventure Ocean (she came to check on the Royal Babies program once) and it was something she said she had honestly never thought about. They said they would suggest the pull down tables being added to all the handicapped restrooms since they were bigger. At the very least I suggested that one be on Deck 5 forward since a lot goes on there.

Good luck and have a WONDERFUL cruise!

I just returned from a cruise on the Freedom and I can tell you that there is ONE and only one changing table and that is in the restroom on the 11th floor pool deck/outside Windjammer. DH and I basically changed her in a corner on our laps. And we did bring and use the diaper disposal bags another poster suggested for dirty diapers.

We mentioned the lack of changing tables to the manager of Adventure Ocean (she came to check on the Royal Babies program once) and it was something she said she had honestly never thought about. They said they would suggest the pull down tables being added to all the handicapped restrooms since they were bigger. At the very least I suggested that one be on Deck 5 forward since a lot goes on there.

Good luck and have a WONDERFUL cruise!

Thank you so much...just what I was looking for, a clear cut answer, based on facts. I understand that everyone has their opinion (and that's what these forums are for), but like RoadTripFanatic's DD, my DS is a wiggler during changings and the only place I would feel comfortable changing him is in the bathroom or our room. We have an aft balcony, so the walk is a long one (I'm booked with other family and moving after I figured out it would be a pain for diaper changes was not feasible). However, knowing that there is a changing station outside the Windjammer makes life a little easier. Next time around I know to go for a hump cabin :)

Adding a pull-down diaper changing table for babies in Handicapped public rest rooms (because they are "bigger") is a downright insult to Handicapped/Disabled passengers.

?? Why is this an insult? There are plenty of handicapped people who have babies they need to change, also. Where are they supposed to change their babies? I would think it would be more insulting to not have a changing table in their stall.

Adding a pull-down diaper changing table for babies in Handicapped public rest rooms (because they are "bigger") is a downright insult to Handicapped/Disabled passengers.

What? Usually handicapped/disabled stalls are bigger and could probably accommodate the table. That is insulting?

How is this an insult?

In several places we go, the handicapped stalls are where the facilities have installed the changing tables. The ones that flip out from the wall.

Thankfully, we waited until our son was 2 1/2 to sail. Royal Caribbean, in our little experience, is not equipped for small children. Not much in the way of small comforts like changing tables, or even basic generic activities. PS...the Royal Tots program was a HUGE disappointment to me. They really do not cater to a young families group.

Bring a changing pad and pack it along with you on the ship. Honestly, schlepping at one year old back to the room every time they pee or poop is gonna get old...and when you go into port, facilities are in even more short order. Find a discreet corner and do whatcha gotta do. Kids pee, kids poop, kids need changed. I would hang myself if I had to run up and down the elevators every time my little one did a number.

I wouldn't be skeeved out at all by someone changing their little one discreetly on a chaise, or a bench, or wherever. I am skeeved out by the ones who leave their mess.

Bring along the little blue bags...those are a LIFESAVER in a closed up cruise cabin!

Bring along the little blue bags...those are a LIFESAVER in a closed up cruise cabin!

What are these little blug bags? I have always used little green bags that I get from Babies R Us -- are the little blue ones better/less expensive?

What are these little blug bags? I have always used little green bags that I get from Babies R Us -- are the little blue ones better/less expensive?

The little green bags are just as effective.

The blue ones come in a roll...same as doggie pick up bags. I found they were a little sturdier than the green ones...those ripped too easily and got holes.

I think the ones from BRU are cheaper...I can't remember price. But two rolls did us for the week we were on vacation...hotels, cruise, the whole shebang.

i tell you what pisses me off why are there no pull down diaper stations in men's bathrooms ? i change my dd more than my dw and find it very hard to find somewhere to change her . but anyhow when we went on our cruise we brought our diaper bag with us it has a fold down changing area.

To all of those posters who were "offended" by my post stating I was "offended" by those who suggested putting pull-down changing stations in Handicapped bathrooms simply because they are "bigger":

Excuses do not excuse, Yes, HC public bathrooms are "bigger", but they are "bigger" for a very valid reason, and that reason has to do with wheelchairs, walkers, specialty strollers, and aides/assistants for cruise passengers who are indeed "Handicapped". Wider entry ways, larger floor space bigger stalls with bigger doors, and raised toilets with arm rails are there for a reason, and it is NOT there to accommodate baby-changers simply because this bathroom is "bigger"!! Those that suggest this are only doing so for convenience' sake. I worked with Handicapped/Disabled students for several years, and now volunteer at a local Assisted Living facility several days each week, and often drive them to Dr. appointments or short shopping trips. I have to check out a Handicapped placard for transporting them, and return it when I bring them back. Can't tell you how many times the designated Handicapped parking spaces are occupied by ignorant and insensitive able-bodied people who think they can park there. I grapple with wheelchairs, walkers, and scooters, and it's really hard for the Handicapped/Disabled person to have to navigate much further than necessary. Yes - I've reported a few license plates. Suggesting that HC public restrooms install baby-changing stations just because they are "bigger" is - again - insulting to those passengers who rely on these facilities.

I blame the cruise lines. For years, several lines have been promoting "FAMILY CRUISING" but have done NOTHING to upgrade their older ships in terms of providing pools where non-toilet trained babies/toddlers can swim, nurseries and space for them, and - yes - baby changing stations in ALL non HC public restrooms. These facilities are only available on a few newer ships. They've added balconies and rock-climbing walls....but no baby changing stations. Imagine that! Leave the HC cabins AND public restrooms to those for which they were intended. In the meantime, few of us want to view you changing your baby on a pool chair or "discretely" in some corner. If you routinely take your baby for stroller walks at home, then it shouldn't be too much of a burden to take your baby back to your cabin to change a diaper. Complain to your cruise line, but in the meantime, do the right thing.

Archived