Site with comparative info for family (ie.children's) cruises

jocelysue

Hi everyone

Looking up info for a friend of mine , with limited funds, who wants to do a family cruise this summer , with her husband and two kids aged 4 & 7.

Is there a site which has comparative information re different cruise lines which offer & are oriented towards family – related cruises ?

For example:

activities (which type); hours for children’s activities;

which cruise lines have the best activities and are there any surcharges?

beverages included with meals? If so, which? for adults and kids?

charges (including surcharges) for crafts ,

stateroom setup

drinks & snacks, etc. for children?

special rates for children?

In other words, what exactly does the fare cover and what are the extras that are charged? What should be foreseen? Is the fee for tipping the same for children as for adults?

Any and all info appreciated.

More questions to follow (maybe

The site? Isn't that what we do here at the Family Board? :D

I threw all of the hours for the kids clubs and their rules here (I may need to update it though, its been a while...

http://cruisingwithchildren.blogspot.com/2008/03/cut-through-confusion-faq.html

The menus and kids club pages are at the link in my signature (compliments of the parents here)

If she has limited funds, send her to Carnival or NCL. Look at a shorter cruise. On an older ship. There are no charges for the kids art projects ;) but there will be charges for after hours babysitting (after 10pm) so just explain that she'll need to get the kids before then.

Tipping is the same for kids as for adults. Fares cover food, drinks like lemonade, milk, juice (no soda).

Look at ships in FLORIDA -- not ships in Baltimore, Bayonne NJ or Galveston -- because when there are 30 ships leaving, the supply is high, the price is LOW.

Anything else? :)

OHHHHH and the words "LIMITED FUNDS and SUMMER CRUISE" cannot co-exist in the same sentence. Sorry. It just doesn't. Your friend wants to buy the hottest ticket in town but then doesn't want to pay the cover charge for it.

If your friend wants to cruise in the summer, then your friend will have to expect to pay the HIGHEST cruise fare of the entire year - period. There are no exceptions. Sorry, if that is brutally honest. :(

If your friend is willing to move her cruise to September or October, then her cruise may be more budget friendly. Her kids are young, she can still pull them out of school. That's what I have been doing for years and will continue to do so until my kids reach an age where the school no longer allow it. ;)

I booked a Bahamas cruise out of NY on the Jewel for July, 2010 for 2 adults and 2 kids and I found that NCL had the best price. I booked the cruise back in January and the price for the cruise has gone up, especially the price for the 3rd person. I guess the price has gone up also since there will be some Nickelodeon activities for kids.

If you are looking for a summer cruise out of NY, you could look at the cruises going to Bermuda. I was comparing the Bahamas cruise to the Bermuda cruise for the month of July and it looks like the Bermuda cruise would be a little cheaper, but not much cheaper. The price for the 3rd & 4th person is cheaper than the Bahamas cruises.

Good luck.

Archived