Anyone ever rent a car from Avis in St. Martin

I was wondering if anyone has ever rented from avis in st. martin. i have found they are cheaper but anyone have problems. And how far from the dock are they.

They are roughly 4 blocks away from the pier entrance. Turn left, start walking to town and there they are.

Remember, in renting a car on the island, you have to factor in the gas used, tax and insurance costs (US insurance not good here.)

I know Hertz gives you a full tank and you just fill it up when returning the car at the Shell/Texaco station located near the Avis office. Some of the local agencies at the pier give you the car empty and you have to guess how much to put in.

I have only rented from their Airport locations, but have had problems with three 'majors'. I gave up on them years ago.

Hertz - refused to honor my printed confirmed rate - had it in my hand. No.

Avis - my 'confirmed' type not available and nothing available unless I upgraded to a larger car. No.

Budget - Worst yet. Went through three cars in first four days. Car 1 misfired/backfired so couldn't drive it. Car 2 did not have enough power to get over a hill between Marigot and Grand Case, had to drive back through the Lowlands. Car 3 brakes failed on way to Orient - no way to drive home. Taxi and tow. No.

Have only considered locals since, and I have a favorite, but they don't do one day cruise rentals.

gary

We have heard similar stories about the Budget operation in St. Martin.

We never reserve in advance, just stroll up to the rental booth at the pier. So I never know what they will charge for the day until I start talking to the nice woman at Hertz. The Hertz pier operation is an offshoot of the airport operation.

Renting at the pier is a totally different story then at the airport. When we used to stay for a week at a time on the island I had no hesitation about using local operators at the offices outside the airport.

At the pier I avoid Budget and the locals, and stick with Hertz.

• 2 weeks later...

We rented from Avis in 2000 and 2004 and did not have any problems either time. It was a short walk to the office from the pier, nice employees and the vehicles were fine (a small car once and a minivan the next time - comfortable for 6 adults).

That being said - we are going with Hertz this trip due to DH status with them and a better rate.

Archived