No cash in Atlantis -- reloadable credit cards?

megmno

We're going to Atlantis in July. Since cash is not accepted in many places there I was thinking about getting a couple of reloadable credit cards or Visa gift cards for our two teenagers so they could have some walking around money for snacks and drinks etc.

Does anyone know if there would be any problem with using these? Thinking about it further, I might want to use one of these myself as I'm concerned about credit card fraud (we seem to get hit every couple of years).

We're going to Atlantis in July. Since cash is not accepted in many places there I was thinking about getting a couple of reloadable credit cards or Visa gift cards for our two teenagers so they could have some walking around money for snacks and drinks etc.

Does anyone know if there would be any problem with using these? Thinking about it further, I might want to use one of these myself as I'm concerned about credit card fraud (we seem to get hit every couple of years).

As long as they have a VISA / Mastercard logo, they should work. But there are sometimes my regular bank cards don't work internationally, even when I alert them of my travels, so have a back up plan.

We used reloadable Visa cards last summer at Atlantis in various shops and restaurants without any difficulty. Just make sure you keep track of how much you have spent because it will be rejected if you try to go over your prepaid limit (happened at the airport on the way home to my mom and I just paid cash for her purchase - she didn't keep track of her spending like I did with mine).

Just beware that drinks and snacks are very expensive (1 bottle of water and 1 bottle of juice $10 - cost at home would have been $2-$3 total).

Archived