Star Clipper-June 5th out of Athens

PolyBabe

Good Evening All,

This is my first trip on Star Clipper and my first time sailing since my last Windjammer Barefoot Cruise in July 2007. I know it won't be as relaxed as a WJ trip, but there are a few questions I have about dress and stuff.

1. in the showers is there shampoo/conditioner/body wash provided?

2. is wearing flip-flops around ship okay? On WJ it was better to go barefoot when under sail.

3. what is the dress code for women at dinner? I know skirts are going to be ok, but longer shorts? or capris? what about during the breakfast and lunch buffets?

4. so we are going to Turkey and Santorini, Milos & Hydra. Then we spend 3 dyas in Athens. I wouldn't think that flip-flops would be good for walking around and exploring. Correct? What type of shoes would you recommend?

thanks! Any other info that i might need would be appreciated as well.

Tigger

Tigger:

We sailed on the Star Clipper from Athens to Venice last July. We are also former Windjammer passengers, having last sailed in February 2006 on the Mandalay.

Star Clipper/Flyer is a nice substitute. A little more "elegant" than the Windjammer fleet. Hot showers, bed doesn't rock, food stays on the table at meal times. Sure do miss those days.

Shorts are fine for breakfast and lunch. Skirts, dresses or capris are okay for dinner. It's casual or you can wear a nicer top. The only time people dress a little more "formal" is the captain's dinner, but it's not required. My husband wore polo or casual type shirts and dockers to dinner.

I'm drawing a blank on toiletries. I know there was shampoo and bar soap, but I can't remember if there was conditioner and body wash. Maybe someone else can answer that question. Or you can email Star Clipper. I did that several times and they were very helpful. You can get the email info off of their website.

Flipflops, sandals, whatever are okay on deck. We unfortunately didn't have a lot of wind so we mostly motored sail. Most of the times you didn't even know you were underway it was so smooth.

We spent two days in Athens. I wore my Ecco sandals and was fine. The bottomline is, comfort. So whatever works for you.

You'll love Star Clipper. It's not Windjammer and I miss hearing Amazing Grace but it's the next best thing. We're thinking of doing another one in 2012.

Barbara

2010 RCCL Mariner (Mexico)

2009 Star Clipper (Eastern Mediterranean)

2006 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)

2003 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)

2000 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)

1997 Windjammer Mandalay (Windward Islands)

1995 RCCL Sun Viking (So. Caribbean)

1994 RCCL Song of America (So. Caribbean)

1993 Columbia River Cruise

1993 HAL Westerdam (E. Caribbean)

1991 Crown Monarch (W. Caribbean)

1989 RCCL Song of America (W. Caribbean)

1985 RCCL Nordic Prince (E. Caribbean)

• 4 weeks later...

thanks Barbara!

My last sailing was on the Mandalay as well in July 2007 in San Blas. but I am hoping to sail on her again in the Galapagos.

We are leaving tomorrow for Athens and I believe that everything is set. thanks for the help.

Tigger

I know you'll have a good time. Would love to hear how your trip went. You can email me at bbergstrom@ecl-law.com when you return.

I don't know if you've done any research on the Mandalay lately but apparently there was a glitch and because of regulations, as of March, the Madalay wasn't sailing in the Galapagos and they didn't know if she would ever do so. You can go here for more information. www.angermeyercruises.com.

Archived